Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5092 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (16972 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (10423 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14292 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (9162 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (20243 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (16499 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (7794 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (9402 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6828 views)