Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11278 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (29696 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24570 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (5023 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14982 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43068 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (8557 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31514 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11546 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19409 views)