Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (13562 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (11479 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (18610 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (14554 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (43825 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (10541 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (12836 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (18340 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6695 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (8129 views)