Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (14122 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (13631 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (11925 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (17200 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (11772 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (4835 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (20378 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (11878 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (35032 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (9601 views)