Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (9721 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (13074 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7395 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6239 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (10344 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (31421 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (4890 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (21751 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (9744 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30298 views)