Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19673 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (5812 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10092 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (18819 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10931 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (9240 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8236 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7686 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12270 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10143 views)