Regular vs baby aspirin

Breed: Dalmation
I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer aspirin?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Have you cleared this with your vet that it is ok for Smiley to have aspirin? I usually do not recommend giving aspirin regularly to dogs. Generally it will not hurt to have a single dose. But, if dogs get aspirin regularly they are at risk for stomach ulcers or kidney problems which both can be quite serious. We have much safer medicines that we can use for chronic pain issues in dogs.

To answer your question though, a baby aspirin is usually 80 mg of aspirin and a regular aspirin is 325 mg. So, if your vet has cleared 80 mg then this would be the equivalent of 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Be careful though as most regular aspirins are coated and are not meant to be divided.

I hope this helps...

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7822 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (66936 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (44999 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (5004 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (269714 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19928 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (26625 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (10610 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10826 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (45844 views)