Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia?

Breed: German Shepherd
Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9 year old German Shepherd Havoc (who we love like a son) rear hips are completely shot. We have spent thousands on stem cell, acupuncture, adaquan injections etc etc. Everything but hip replacements which we can't afford (and might even be to late to do). Two months ago he was put on 10mg twice a day of prednisone as a last resort. Along with tramadol (up to 3 50mg 3 times a day). He really can't walk at all now. He stumbles and falls over. We have to help him get around so he doesn't hurt himself. Among other side effects like hunger, thirst, insomia, panting. He has now recently developed bloody stools from the prednisone. We rushed him into our vet. From how much of a downgrade in his ability to walk since our last visit. Our vet was worried about a spinal tumor or prostate cancer. Havoc was negative on both after x rays. Havoc also has as of this trip a right front leg elbow which is puffy and seemed larger then the other elbows bone. X rays on that confirmed it's arthritic. Our vet put Havoc on metacam (with the tramadol). Our vet has told us in a real short time Havoc wont have any use of his rear legs. We are considering putting Havoc down based on the pain he has from the hips. We have had experience with a Degenerative Mylopathy German Shepherd. He lived over a year and a half not being able to walk at all. We can handle a pet with a disability and no pain like with DM. One who can't walk and is in constant pain we can't. Our question is is it possible to give us a rough idea what the pain from our dogs hips would be. We are seeking as many opinions as possible. We realize you can't comment 100% on our specific dog as he isn't your patient. But a dog in general with these problems. How much pain would he in?? A plus is no side effects from the pred. But the pain is the worry. Thank You

Oh my goodness. Havoc has a lot of serious issues.

You are right that I can't assess Havoc's pain without seeing him but as I read your post all I could think is "Oh, this poor dog".

As you know, degenerative myelopathy is not painful. But, it sounds like this is more than degenerative myelopathy. Plus, if he has a puffy elbow then this is another source of pain.

It is always very hard to make the decision for euthanasia in a case like this because it's not like Havoc was totally happy and healthy yesterday and then painful today. The slide has probably been quite gradual.

From what you have told me I would say that euthansia is a very valid option for Havoc. It sounds like you have tried almost everything.

Now, *if* you wanted to try one more thing you could ask your vet about the possibility of a surgery called hip dennervation. An orthopedic surgeon would need to do this but it would not be as expensive as a hip replacement. Dogs with hip arthritis can do very well after dennervation surgery. BUT, this doesn't address the elbow pain and the other potential issues.

Dogs will do everything they can to hide their pain. It really does sound like pain is an issue here.

I don't envy you your decision, but if this were my dog I would likely be leaning towards euthanasia.

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (9895 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (11715 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (17908 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (18535 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9716 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (46407 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (25677 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14666 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10712 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (31083 views)