Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia?

Breed: German Shepherd
Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9 year old German Shepherd Havoc (who we love like a son) rear hips are completely shot. We have spent thousands on stem cell, acupuncture, adaquan injections etc etc. Everything but hip replacements which we can't afford (and might even be to late to do). Two months ago he was put on 10mg twice a day of prednisone as a last resort. Along with tramadol (up to 3 50mg 3 times a day). He really can't walk at all now. He stumbles and falls over. We have to help him get around so he doesn't hurt himself. Among other side effects like hunger, thirst, insomia, panting. He has now recently developed bloody stools from the prednisone. We rushed him into our vet. From how much of a downgrade in his ability to walk since our last visit. Our vet was worried about a spinal tumor or prostate cancer. Havoc was negative on both after x rays. Havoc also has as of this trip a right front leg elbow which is puffy and seemed larger then the other elbows bone. X rays on that confirmed it's arthritic. Our vet put Havoc on metacam (with the tramadol). Our vet has told us in a real short time Havoc wont have any use of his rear legs. We are considering putting Havoc down based on the pain he has from the hips. We have had experience with a Degenerative Mylopathy German Shepherd. He lived over a year and a half not being able to walk at all. We can handle a pet with a disability and no pain like with DM. One who can't walk and is in constant pain we can't. Our question is is it possible to give us a rough idea what the pain from our dogs hips would be. We are seeking as many opinions as possible. We realize you can't comment 100% on our specific dog as he isn't your patient. But a dog in general with these problems. How much pain would he in?? A plus is no side effects from the pred. But the pain is the worry. Thank You

Oh my goodness. Havoc has a lot of serious issues.

You are right that I can't assess Havoc's pain without seeing him but as I read your post all I could think is "Oh, this poor dog".

As you know, degenerative myelopathy is not painful. But, it sounds like this is more than degenerative myelopathy. Plus, if he has a puffy elbow then this is another source of pain.

It is always very hard to make the decision for euthanasia in a case like this because it's not like Havoc was totally happy and healthy yesterday and then painful today. The slide has probably been quite gradual.

From what you have told me I would say that euthansia is a very valid option for Havoc. It sounds like you have tried almost everything.

Now, *if* you wanted to try one more thing you could ask your vet about the possibility of a surgery called hip dennervation. An orthopedic surgeon would need to do this but it would not be as expensive as a hip replacement. Dogs with hip arthritis can do very well after dennervation surgery. BUT, this doesn't address the elbow pain and the other potential issues.

Dogs will do everything they can to hide their pain. It really does sound like pain is an issue here.

I don't envy you your decision, but if this were my dog I would likely be leaning towards euthanasia.

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (31850 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (14597 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8276 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5390 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (13944 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11302 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (15515 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (29088 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (7483 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (48524 views)