Dog is bleeding.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher
My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started bleeding through his mouth. At first it was just spotting, now it's getting more heavy. We do not have money to take him to a vet. What could be wrong with him?

I'm very sorry to hear that Snoopy is having these problems. I'm going to ask you a few questions before I answer...

Can you tell where the blood is coming from? Is it from her gums? Or her tongue? Does she have tartar on her teeth?

His teeth are a little bad and we really can't tell where it's coming from. From what we can tell, it's not from his gums. I think there might be a little blood coming from his nose as well. He's been having sneezing fits as well.

OK. This is a tough question to answer without seeing Snoopy in person, but I can give you a few ideas of what could be causing the problem.

My first thought is that this could be a tooth root infection. If an upper tooth root is infected then this can push up into the nasal cavity and can cause bleeding and sneezing.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor in his mouth.

Another possibility is if he has a problem with his platelets. Platelets are cells that help a dog to clot their blood. If he is low in platelets then he can have bleeding episodes.

Unfortunately there is nothing that I can think of that would be an easy fix without seeing a veterinarian.

If this is a dental problem he may do really well with some antibiotics. But, you can only get antibiotics by seeing your vet. And antibiotics would only be a temporary fix...if there is a tooth root infection the tooth would need to be extracted.

If there is a tumor then there is not a lot that we can do.

And if this is a platelet issue, while there may be some treatments there is no inexpensive treatment.

It really would be great if you could have a vet take a look at Snoopy. Depending on where you go you'd be looking at $50-$80 or so for a visit. If you have financial issues this list of organizations that help with veterinary bills may help.

I really hope things are ok.

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4125 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10918 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (73253 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6450 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14090 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15963 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25773 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10026 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15700 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8868 views)