Dog is bleeding.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher
My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started bleeding through his mouth. At first it was just spotting, now it's getting more heavy. We do not have money to take him to a vet. What could be wrong with him?

I'm very sorry to hear that Snoopy is having these problems. I'm going to ask you a few questions before I answer...

Can you tell where the blood is coming from? Is it from her gums? Or her tongue? Does she have tartar on her teeth?

His teeth are a little bad and we really can't tell where it's coming from. From what we can tell, it's not from his gums. I think there might be a little blood coming from his nose as well. He's been having sneezing fits as well.

OK. This is a tough question to answer without seeing Snoopy in person, but I can give you a few ideas of what could be causing the problem.

My first thought is that this could be a tooth root infection. If an upper tooth root is infected then this can push up into the nasal cavity and can cause bleeding and sneezing.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor in his mouth.

Another possibility is if he has a problem with his platelets. Platelets are cells that help a dog to clot their blood. If he is low in platelets then he can have bleeding episodes.

Unfortunately there is nothing that I can think of that would be an easy fix without seeing a veterinarian.

If this is a dental problem he may do really well with some antibiotics. But, you can only get antibiotics by seeing your vet. And antibiotics would only be a temporary fix...if there is a tooth root infection the tooth would need to be extracted.

If there is a tumor then there is not a lot that we can do.

And if this is a platelet issue, while there may be some treatments there is no inexpensive treatment.

It really would be great if you could have a vet take a look at Snoopy. Depending on where you go you'd be looking at $50-$80 or so for a visit. If you have financial issues this list of organizations that help with veterinary bills may help.

I really hope things are ok.

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (33156 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (13514 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (41205 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (101425 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (9607 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (22594 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (6045 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (16792 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (19246 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (11953 views)