Dog is bleeding.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher
My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started bleeding through his mouth. At first it was just spotting, now it's getting more heavy. We do not have money to take him to a vet. What could be wrong with him?

I'm very sorry to hear that Snoopy is having these problems. I'm going to ask you a few questions before I answer...

Can you tell where the blood is coming from? Is it from her gums? Or her tongue? Does she have tartar on her teeth?

His teeth are a little bad and we really can't tell where it's coming from. From what we can tell, it's not from his gums. I think there might be a little blood coming from his nose as well. He's been having sneezing fits as well.

OK. This is a tough question to answer without seeing Snoopy in person, but I can give you a few ideas of what could be causing the problem.

My first thought is that this could be a tooth root infection. If an upper tooth root is infected then this can push up into the nasal cavity and can cause bleeding and sneezing.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor in his mouth.

Another possibility is if he has a problem with his platelets. Platelets are cells that help a dog to clot their blood. If he is low in platelets then he can have bleeding episodes.

Unfortunately there is nothing that I can think of that would be an easy fix without seeing a veterinarian.

If this is a dental problem he may do really well with some antibiotics. But, you can only get antibiotics by seeing your vet. And antibiotics would only be a temporary fix...if there is a tooth root infection the tooth would need to be extracted.

If there is a tumor then there is not a lot that we can do.

And if this is a platelet issue, while there may be some treatments there is no inexpensive treatment.

It really would be great if you could have a vet take a look at Snoopy. Depending on where you go you'd be looking at $50-$80 or so for a visit. If you have financial issues this list of organizations that help with veterinary bills may help.

I really hope things are ok.

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (128012 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8391 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15561 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (12840 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9788 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (11839 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10139 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13677 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24736 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (8274 views)