Dog is bleeding.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher
My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started bleeding through his mouth. At first it was just spotting, now it's getting more heavy. We do not have money to take him to a vet. What could be wrong with him?

I'm very sorry to hear that Snoopy is having these problems. I'm going to ask you a few questions before I answer...

Can you tell where the blood is coming from? Is it from her gums? Or her tongue? Does she have tartar on her teeth?

His teeth are a little bad and we really can't tell where it's coming from. From what we can tell, it's not from his gums. I think there might be a little blood coming from his nose as well. He's been having sneezing fits as well.

OK. This is a tough question to answer without seeing Snoopy in person, but I can give you a few ideas of what could be causing the problem.

My first thought is that this could be a tooth root infection. If an upper tooth root is infected then this can push up into the nasal cavity and can cause bleeding and sneezing.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor in his mouth.

Another possibility is if he has a problem with his platelets. Platelets are cells that help a dog to clot their blood. If he is low in platelets then he can have bleeding episodes.

Unfortunately there is nothing that I can think of that would be an easy fix without seeing a veterinarian.

If this is a dental problem he may do really well with some antibiotics. But, you can only get antibiotics by seeing your vet. And antibiotics would only be a temporary fix...if there is a tooth root infection the tooth would need to be extracted.

If there is a tumor then there is not a lot that we can do.

And if this is a platelet issue, while there may be some treatments there is no inexpensive treatment.

It really would be great if you could have a vet take a look at Snoopy. Depending on where you go you'd be looking at $50-$80 or so for a visit. If you have financial issues this list of organizations that help with veterinary bills may help.

I really hope things are ok.

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16408 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4510 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (77801 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18530 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7243 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (25903 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (11708 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15442 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (16798 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9219 views)