Dog is bleeding.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher
My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started bleeding through his mouth. At first it was just spotting, now it's getting more heavy. We do not have money to take him to a vet. What could be wrong with him?

I'm very sorry to hear that Snoopy is having these problems. I'm going to ask you a few questions before I answer...

Can you tell where the blood is coming from? Is it from her gums? Or her tongue? Does she have tartar on her teeth?

His teeth are a little bad and we really can't tell where it's coming from. From what we can tell, it's not from his gums. I think there might be a little blood coming from his nose as well. He's been having sneezing fits as well.

OK. This is a tough question to answer without seeing Snoopy in person, but I can give you a few ideas of what could be causing the problem.

My first thought is that this could be a tooth root infection. If an upper tooth root is infected then this can push up into the nasal cavity and can cause bleeding and sneezing.

Another possibility is if there is a tumor in his mouth.

Another possibility is if he has a problem with his platelets. Platelets are cells that help a dog to clot their blood. If he is low in platelets then he can have bleeding episodes.

Unfortunately there is nothing that I can think of that would be an easy fix without seeing a veterinarian.

If this is a dental problem he may do really well with some antibiotics. But, you can only get antibiotics by seeing your vet. And antibiotics would only be a temporary fix...if there is a tooth root infection the tooth would need to be extracted.

If there is a tumor then there is not a lot that we can do.

And if this is a platelet issue, while there may be some treatments there is no inexpensive treatment.

It really would be great if you could have a vet take a look at Snoopy. Depending on where you go you'd be looking at $50-$80 or so for a visit. If you have financial issues this list of organizations that help with veterinary bills may help.

I really hope things are ok.

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8698 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (5952 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (18180 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (8241 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (10782 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (24259 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (10186 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (16848 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (42196 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (77429 views)