Strange behavior in cat.

Breed: Norwegian forest cat
Hello.

My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail amputated a couple weeks after that due to nerve and vascular damage. He broke no bones. They of course shaved his tail and surrounding area around for the surgery.

It is now several months later and as of a couple weeks ago he has had two "incidents," possibly seizures. The first one lasted about 30 minutes. He was sleeping and then woke up and started running around like a mad cat. His fur was fluffed up like he was scared, and the skin on his lower back and tail were twitching almost uncontrollably. He kept either running or twisting around to lick and bite the fur at the base of his tail (nub). He would pause and stare at me with his head held crooked and pupils very dilated, and then resume. It looked like he was looking at me but through me. Finally he laid down and peed on himself, which he has never done. I cleaned him up but he just continued lying there for about an hour. Afterwards he seemed fine.

I thought maybe he had just had a bad dream, but a similar incident happened at 4 this morning. This time it lasted longer, but did not seem as severe. He did not pee on himself or have his fur fluffed up. Unlike last time, his ears as well as skin were twitching. It lasted about 45 minutes before he fell asleep. Over the next few hours he would occasionally wake up and his fur would start twitching, but it wasn't as severe.

He does not have fleas. He did not meow during these instances. His fur appears mostly grown back from when they shaved it, but perhaps it is itching him. I also thought maybe the nerves were still regrowing and causing strange sensations back there, or he is having some kind of flashbacks.

Thank you!

This is a tough question to answer. You may want to ask your vet about something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

It may also be a good idea to have some xrays done of the lower back and tail to see if there are signs of serious damage in this area.

Snafu may need to be on either some pain medication or a medication called clomicalm to help for a period of time.

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20213 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4595 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (5964 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (5980 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10843 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (4659 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7756 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14054 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20249 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7794 views)