Strange behavior in cat.

Breed: Norwegian forest cat
Hello.

My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail amputated a couple weeks after that due to nerve and vascular damage. He broke no bones. They of course shaved his tail and surrounding area around for the surgery.

It is now several months later and as of a couple weeks ago he has had two "incidents," possibly seizures. The first one lasted about 30 minutes. He was sleeping and then woke up and started running around like a mad cat. His fur was fluffed up like he was scared, and the skin on his lower back and tail were twitching almost uncontrollably. He kept either running or twisting around to lick and bite the fur at the base of his tail (nub). He would pause and stare at me with his head held crooked and pupils very dilated, and then resume. It looked like he was looking at me but through me. Finally he laid down and peed on himself, which he has never done. I cleaned him up but he just continued lying there for about an hour. Afterwards he seemed fine.

I thought maybe he had just had a bad dream, but a similar incident happened at 4 this morning. This time it lasted longer, but did not seem as severe. He did not pee on himself or have his fur fluffed up. Unlike last time, his ears as well as skin were twitching. It lasted about 45 minutes before he fell asleep. Over the next few hours he would occasionally wake up and his fur would start twitching, but it wasn't as severe.

He does not have fleas. He did not meow during these instances. His fur appears mostly grown back from when they shaved it, but perhaps it is itching him. I also thought maybe the nerves were still regrowing and causing strange sensations back there, or he is having some kind of flashbacks.

Thank you!

This is a tough question to answer. You may want to ask your vet about something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

It may also be a good idea to have some xrays done of the lower back and tail to see if there are signs of serious damage in this area.

Snafu may need to be on either some pain medication or a medication called clomicalm to help for a period of time.

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (59930 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (30801 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (9272 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (12173 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (11177 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (11138 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (7850 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (24718 views)

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (14605 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (18602 views)