Strange behavior in cat.

Breed: Norwegian forest cat
Hello.

My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail amputated a couple weeks after that due to nerve and vascular damage. He broke no bones. They of course shaved his tail and surrounding area around for the surgery.

It is now several months later and as of a couple weeks ago he has had two "incidents," possibly seizures. The first one lasted about 30 minutes. He was sleeping and then woke up and started running around like a mad cat. His fur was fluffed up like he was scared, and the skin on his lower back and tail were twitching almost uncontrollably. He kept either running or twisting around to lick and bite the fur at the base of his tail (nub). He would pause and stare at me with his head held crooked and pupils very dilated, and then resume. It looked like he was looking at me but through me. Finally he laid down and peed on himself, which he has never done. I cleaned him up but he just continued lying there for about an hour. Afterwards he seemed fine.

I thought maybe he had just had a bad dream, but a similar incident happened at 4 this morning. This time it lasted longer, but did not seem as severe. He did not pee on himself or have his fur fluffed up. Unlike last time, his ears as well as skin were twitching. It lasted about 45 minutes before he fell asleep. Over the next few hours he would occasionally wake up and his fur would start twitching, but it wasn't as severe.

He does not have fleas. He did not meow during these instances. His fur appears mostly grown back from when they shaved it, but perhaps it is itching him. I also thought maybe the nerves were still regrowing and causing strange sensations back there, or he is having some kind of flashbacks.

Thank you!

This is a tough question to answer. You may want to ask your vet about something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

It may also be a good idea to have some xrays done of the lower back and tail to see if there are signs of serious damage in this area.

Snafu may need to be on either some pain medication or a medication called clomicalm to help for a period of time.

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4168 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (9015 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (17188 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (10450 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (5072 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (56782 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (9781 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (6431 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8021 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (9964 views)