Strange behavior in cat.

Breed: Norwegian forest cat
Hello.

My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail amputated a couple weeks after that due to nerve and vascular damage. He broke no bones. They of course shaved his tail and surrounding area around for the surgery.

It is now several months later and as of a couple weeks ago he has had two "incidents," possibly seizures. The first one lasted about 30 minutes. He was sleeping and then woke up and started running around like a mad cat. His fur was fluffed up like he was scared, and the skin on his lower back and tail were twitching almost uncontrollably. He kept either running or twisting around to lick and bite the fur at the base of his tail (nub). He would pause and stare at me with his head held crooked and pupils very dilated, and then resume. It looked like he was looking at me but through me. Finally he laid down and peed on himself, which he has never done. I cleaned him up but he just continued lying there for about an hour. Afterwards he seemed fine.

I thought maybe he had just had a bad dream, but a similar incident happened at 4 this morning. This time it lasted longer, but did not seem as severe. He did not pee on himself or have his fur fluffed up. Unlike last time, his ears as well as skin were twitching. It lasted about 45 minutes before he fell asleep. Over the next few hours he would occasionally wake up and his fur would start twitching, but it wasn't as severe.

He does not have fleas. He did not meow during these instances. His fur appears mostly grown back from when they shaved it, but perhaps it is itching him. I also thought maybe the nerves were still regrowing and causing strange sensations back there, or he is having some kind of flashbacks.

Thank you!

This is a tough question to answer. You may want to ask your vet about something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

It may also be a good idea to have some xrays done of the lower back and tail to see if there are signs of serious damage in this area.

Snafu may need to be on either some pain medication or a medication called clomicalm to help for a period of time.

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (7516 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (9374 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (33930 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (6692 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7288 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (8569 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9604 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (22063 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (10268 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (60397 views)