Strange behavior in cat.

Breed: Norwegian forest cat
Hello.

My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail amputated a couple weeks after that due to nerve and vascular damage. He broke no bones. They of course shaved his tail and surrounding area around for the surgery.

It is now several months later and as of a couple weeks ago he has had two "incidents," possibly seizures. The first one lasted about 30 minutes. He was sleeping and then woke up and started running around like a mad cat. His fur was fluffed up like he was scared, and the skin on his lower back and tail were twitching almost uncontrollably. He kept either running or twisting around to lick and bite the fur at the base of his tail (nub). He would pause and stare at me with his head held crooked and pupils very dilated, and then resume. It looked like he was looking at me but through me. Finally he laid down and peed on himself, which he has never done. I cleaned him up but he just continued lying there for about an hour. Afterwards he seemed fine.

I thought maybe he had just had a bad dream, but a similar incident happened at 4 this morning. This time it lasted longer, but did not seem as severe. He did not pee on himself or have his fur fluffed up. Unlike last time, his ears as well as skin were twitching. It lasted about 45 minutes before he fell asleep. Over the next few hours he would occasionally wake up and his fur would start twitching, but it wasn't as severe.

He does not have fleas. He did not meow during these instances. His fur appears mostly grown back from when they shaved it, but perhaps it is itching him. I also thought maybe the nerves were still regrowing and causing strange sensations back there, or he is having some kind of flashbacks.

Thank you!

This is a tough question to answer. You may want to ask your vet about something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome.

It may also be a good idea to have some xrays done of the lower back and tail to see if there are signs of serious damage in this area.

Snafu may need to be on either some pain medication or a medication called clomicalm to help for a period of time.

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (231320 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5402 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23269 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (62274 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8225 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (29935 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6410 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (31739 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18944 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (6793 views)