Strong urine odor.

Breed: papillon
Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the point were I am bathing her back end daily! I have taken her to the vet, urine was tested, the results were fine vet said appears she is well although did admit her urine did smell strong!
several months ago she was put on HILLS CANINE ID food because she kept having loose stools, could this be causing the problem? I have never had this problem with her before, and it is quite distressing as she likes to lie close and be cuddled but we can't stand the smell, please can you help? Thanks Helen.( also she is having pro fibre daily ).

This is an unusual problem!

First of all, are you absolutely sure that the smell is coming from her urine? It's possible that what you are smelling is coming from her anal glands. Dogs have a gland on either side of the anus that can fill up with debris. Sometimes if they get really full, some of the debris leaks out and causes a fishy smell. If the smell is really bad it could mean that there is an infection in the glands. An infection is either treated with oral antibiotics or sometimes we will infuse antibiotics into the gland.

You mentioned that her urine test was normal. Do you know if the vet cultured her urine? This would be a test where they send the urine to the lab to determine if there is any bacteria. Sometimes, it can look like there is no infection on our in clinic test, but the culture can tell us the true story.

The smell is not likely to be because of her food.

If this was my case, I would likely be trying her on some antibiotics. Some may consider it irresponsible to use antibiotics when there is no obvious infection. However, when there is a smell like this the chances of there being an infection somewhere are high.

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (11434 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (14971 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (26997 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11908 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (68004 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (10661 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12421 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (16653 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (25475 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (9659 views)