Strong urine odor.

Breed: papillon
Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the point were I am bathing her back end daily! I have taken her to the vet, urine was tested, the results were fine vet said appears she is well although did admit her urine did smell strong!
several months ago she was put on HILLS CANINE ID food because she kept having loose stools, could this be causing the problem? I have never had this problem with her before, and it is quite distressing as she likes to lie close and be cuddled but we can't stand the smell, please can you help? Thanks Helen.( also she is having pro fibre daily ).

This is an unusual problem!

First of all, are you absolutely sure that the smell is coming from her urine? It's possible that what you are smelling is coming from her anal glands. Dogs have a gland on either side of the anus that can fill up with debris. Sometimes if they get really full, some of the debris leaks out and causes a fishy smell. If the smell is really bad it could mean that there is an infection in the glands. An infection is either treated with oral antibiotics or sometimes we will infuse antibiotics into the gland.

You mentioned that her urine test was normal. Do you know if the vet cultured her urine? This would be a test where they send the urine to the lab to determine if there is any bacteria. Sometimes, it can look like there is no infection on our in clinic test, but the culture can tell us the true story.

The smell is not likely to be because of her food.

If this was my case, I would likely be trying her on some antibiotics. Some may consider it irresponsible to use antibiotics when there is no obvious infection. However, when there is a smell like this the chances of there being an infection somewhere are high.

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (15471 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (32600 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11622 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (9001 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7658 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11458 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (7557 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (8094 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (11251 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (26269 views)