Strong urine odor.

Breed: papillon
Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the point were I am bathing her back end daily! I have taken her to the vet, urine was tested, the results were fine vet said appears she is well although did admit her urine did smell strong!
several months ago she was put on HILLS CANINE ID food because she kept having loose stools, could this be causing the problem? I have never had this problem with her before, and it is quite distressing as she likes to lie close and be cuddled but we can't stand the smell, please can you help? Thanks Helen.( also she is having pro fibre daily ).

This is an unusual problem!

First of all, are you absolutely sure that the smell is coming from her urine? It's possible that what you are smelling is coming from her anal glands. Dogs have a gland on either side of the anus that can fill up with debris. Sometimes if they get really full, some of the debris leaks out and causes a fishy smell. If the smell is really bad it could mean that there is an infection in the glands. An infection is either treated with oral antibiotics or sometimes we will infuse antibiotics into the gland.

You mentioned that her urine test was normal. Do you know if the vet cultured her urine? This would be a test where they send the urine to the lab to determine if there is any bacteria. Sometimes, it can look like there is no infection on our in clinic test, but the culture can tell us the true story.

The smell is not likely to be because of her food.

If this was my case, I would likely be trying her on some antibiotics. Some may consider it irresponsible to use antibiotics when there is no obvious infection. However, when there is a smell like this the chances of there being an infection somewhere are high.

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (14444 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7298 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (34483 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7216 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (14727 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (9886 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (14787 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (13417 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (6081 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (12195 views)