Deformed leg on puppy.

Breed: Pomeranian maltese
I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to the vet I realized one of the two puppies (the male) had a significantly smaller limb(right front). The vet said she's heard about something like that but didn't know what it was called, nor what to do about it, or what could possibly happen. I went and tried looking up information myself ( antebrachial growth deformity/ angular limb deformity) but all of these describe a longer limb. His front leg is a lot smaller than the rest, I've also noticed his paw is smaller and without nails like the rest. Do you have any information that could help me?

Thanks for your question. There are a couple of possibilities for the condition that your new little puppy has.

One is something called hemimelia where the puppy is born missing the radius. The radius is the bone between the elbow and the wrist.

Another is something called forelimb agenesis which means that the leg just didn't grow. It doesn't sound like this is the issue as it sounds like there is still some leg there.

And there are other possibilities that just don't have names. There are all sorts of birth defects that can happen.

Many animals with limb defects can get along just fine. In some cases there are surgeries that can help and sometimes we consider amputating a limb if it is uncomfortable for the puppy.

I hope that has helped but let me know if you have more questions.

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4392 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (13929 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (11825 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (48705 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7426 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (19773 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13935 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7487 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (3963 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (27754 views)