Deformed leg on puppy.

Breed: Pomeranian maltese
I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to the vet I realized one of the two puppies (the male) had a significantly smaller limb(right front). The vet said she's heard about something like that but didn't know what it was called, nor what to do about it, or what could possibly happen. I went and tried looking up information myself ( antebrachial growth deformity/ angular limb deformity) but all of these describe a longer limb. His front leg is a lot smaller than the rest, I've also noticed his paw is smaller and without nails like the rest. Do you have any information that could help me?

Thanks for your question. There are a couple of possibilities for the condition that your new little puppy has.

One is something called hemimelia where the puppy is born missing the radius. The radius is the bone between the elbow and the wrist.

Another is something called forelimb agenesis which means that the leg just didn't grow. It doesn't sound like this is the issue as it sounds like there is still some leg there.

And there are other possibilities that just don't have names. There are all sorts of birth defects that can happen.

Many animals with limb defects can get along just fine. In some cases there are surgeries that can help and sometimes we consider amputating a limb if it is uncomfortable for the puppy.

I hope that has helped but let me know if you have more questions.

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (27729 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (44735 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (7135 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (13130 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (62248 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (32013 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (71619 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (6118 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (16308 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (26604 views)