Deformed leg on puppy.

Breed: Pomeranian maltese
I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to the vet I realized one of the two puppies (the male) had a significantly smaller limb(right front). The vet said she's heard about something like that but didn't know what it was called, nor what to do about it, or what could possibly happen. I went and tried looking up information myself ( antebrachial growth deformity/ angular limb deformity) but all of these describe a longer limb. His front leg is a lot smaller than the rest, I've also noticed his paw is smaller and without nails like the rest. Do you have any information that could help me?

Thanks for your question. There are a couple of possibilities for the condition that your new little puppy has.

One is something called hemimelia where the puppy is born missing the radius. The radius is the bone between the elbow and the wrist.

Another is something called forelimb agenesis which means that the leg just didn't grow. It doesn't sound like this is the issue as it sounds like there is still some leg there.

And there are other possibilities that just don't have names. There are all sorts of birth defects that can happen.

Many animals with limb defects can get along just fine. In some cases there are surgeries that can help and sometimes we consider amputating a limb if it is uncomfortable for the puppy.

I hope that has helped but let me know if you have more questions.

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5369 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9876 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (20935 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (5036 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (11174 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14893 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7399 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9690 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5685 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7660 views)