Deformed leg on puppy.

Breed: Pomeranian maltese
I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to the vet I realized one of the two puppies (the male) had a significantly smaller limb(right front). The vet said she's heard about something like that but didn't know what it was called, nor what to do about it, or what could possibly happen. I went and tried looking up information myself ( antebrachial growth deformity/ angular limb deformity) but all of these describe a longer limb. His front leg is a lot smaller than the rest, I've also noticed his paw is smaller and without nails like the rest. Do you have any information that could help me?

Thanks for your question. There are a couple of possibilities for the condition that your new little puppy has.

One is something called hemimelia where the puppy is born missing the radius. The radius is the bone between the elbow and the wrist.

Another is something called forelimb agenesis which means that the leg just didn't grow. It doesn't sound like this is the issue as it sounds like there is still some leg there.

And there are other possibilities that just don't have names. There are all sorts of birth defects that can happen.

Many animals with limb defects can get along just fine. In some cases there are surgeries that can help and sometimes we consider amputating a limb if it is uncomfortable for the puppy.

I hope that has helped but let me know if you have more questions.

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (15560 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (7941 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (8362 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (41492 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (15657 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (30824 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20970 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (15237 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (21490 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (11648 views)