Deformed leg on puppy.

Breed: Pomeranian maltese
I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to the vet I realized one of the two puppies (the male) had a significantly smaller limb(right front). The vet said she's heard about something like that but didn't know what it was called, nor what to do about it, or what could possibly happen. I went and tried looking up information myself ( antebrachial growth deformity/ angular limb deformity) but all of these describe a longer limb. His front leg is a lot smaller than the rest, I've also noticed his paw is smaller and without nails like the rest. Do you have any information that could help me?

Thanks for your question. There are a couple of possibilities for the condition that your new little puppy has.

One is something called hemimelia where the puppy is born missing the radius. The radius is the bone between the elbow and the wrist.

Another is something called forelimb agenesis which means that the leg just didn't grow. It doesn't sound like this is the issue as it sounds like there is still some leg there.

And there are other possibilities that just don't have names. There are all sorts of birth defects that can happen.

Many animals with limb defects can get along just fine. In some cases there are surgeries that can help and sometimes we consider amputating a limb if it is uncomfortable for the puppy.

I hope that has helped but let me know if you have more questions.

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (50911 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (9315 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (18159 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (9138 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (17111 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (19786 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (11154 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (155691 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (17767 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (6350 views)