Chihuahua ate tennis ball.

Breed: chihauha
My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. My husband found her eating the outside of a tennis ball (about a 3 or 4 inch stip of the green matter on the outside of the ball). She just ate the whole thing, never even chewing it up. Can i give her something to throw it up? Will that cause more damage. Its been about an hour.

It always amazes me that dogs want to eat things like this.

If it is just the green fuzz that she ate then it's very unlikely that it's going to cause a problem. But, if she also ate the rubber part of the ball then this could cause an obstruction.

I don't usually recommend inducing vomiting...mostly because there are things that can happen if we do this. (For example, a dog could aspirate the vomit into their lungs).

What you may want to do though is feed Olive something that will help bulk up her stools to help this to move along in her intestinal tract. You can do so by adding an 1/8 tsp of bran to her food, or by feeding her 1/4 bran muffin.

If you think she ate a large amount of the rubber then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her tomorrow. But again, if it's just the green fuzz then don't be too worried. However, in the next few days if she is vomiting or not wanting to eat then she should see her doctor!

I will be online for just a few more minutes tonight. (You caught me just as I was turning off my online status). So, feel free to respond...if it's within in the next few minutes I can write back. Otherwise I'll check in on you in the morning.

it was the rubber part also... how can such a little bitty dog even think she can consume something like that? And for goodness sakes.. it cant taste good!

im so worried. Thank you for your response. I will take her to the vet in the morning, its just a bad time for money and I hate that it is even an issue. I love Olive.

How long would it take for a dog to have a normal "movement"?

It can take anywhere from 12 hours to 3 days for this to move through her system.

When you do go to the vet, take the rest of the tennis ball with you. That way when they take an xray, they can put the ball next to her on the xray plate. Some tennis balls show up really well on xrays and others don't. So, by doing this they should be able to tell if they can identify where the tennis ball is.

If it is still in the stomach they may try inducing vomiting. (It is safer to have your vet do it).

If it is moving along in her intestines then they will likely do some things to help her intestines move.

Again, it won't hurt to try the bran/bran muffins to see if that helps her get this through.

Thank you. I will do what you've recommended.

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (18137 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (30183 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (27562 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (11937 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (21325 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (10549 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (33360 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12482 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (75048 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6027 views)