Chihuahua ate tennis ball.

Breed: chihauha
My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. My husband found her eating the outside of a tennis ball (about a 3 or 4 inch stip of the green matter on the outside of the ball). She just ate the whole thing, never even chewing it up. Can i give her something to throw it up? Will that cause more damage. Its been about an hour.

It always amazes me that dogs want to eat things like this.

If it is just the green fuzz that she ate then it's very unlikely that it's going to cause a problem. But, if she also ate the rubber part of the ball then this could cause an obstruction.

I don't usually recommend inducing vomiting...mostly because there are things that can happen if we do this. (For example, a dog could aspirate the vomit into their lungs).

What you may want to do though is feed Olive something that will help bulk up her stools to help this to move along in her intestinal tract. You can do so by adding an 1/8 tsp of bran to her food, or by feeding her 1/4 bran muffin.

If you think she ate a large amount of the rubber then it is a good idea to have your vet examine her tomorrow. But again, if it's just the green fuzz then don't be too worried. However, in the next few days if she is vomiting or not wanting to eat then she should see her doctor!

I will be online for just a few more minutes tonight. (You caught me just as I was turning off my online status). So, feel free to respond...if it's within in the next few minutes I can write back. Otherwise I'll check in on you in the morning.

it was the rubber part also... how can such a little bitty dog even think she can consume something like that? And for goodness sakes.. it cant taste good!

im so worried. Thank you for your response. I will take her to the vet in the morning, its just a bad time for money and I hate that it is even an issue. I love Olive.

How long would it take for a dog to have a normal "movement"?

It can take anywhere from 12 hours to 3 days for this to move through her system.

When you do go to the vet, take the rest of the tennis ball with you. That way when they take an xray, they can put the ball next to her on the xray plate. Some tennis balls show up really well on xrays and others don't. So, by doing this they should be able to tell if they can identify where the tennis ball is.

If it is still in the stomach they may try inducing vomiting. (It is safer to have your vet do it).

If it is moving along in her intestines then they will likely do some things to help her intestines move.

Again, it won't hurt to try the bran/bran muffins to see if that helps her get this through.

Thank you. I will do what you've recommended.

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (9822 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (20351 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (12048 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (11397 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (19690 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (47963 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (12086 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (18990 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (14100 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (11384 views)