Diarrhea and increased appetite.

Breed: Grey and White
We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and had him tested with worms and treated. We have had him on antibiotics because of excessive diareha and blood in stool. After that did not work, he was given a shot of penicillin and it subsided. He is back to Excessive eating and drinking with excessive use of the litter box. He again started with minimal blood in his stool every so often. He now also has quite a bit of bumps on his chin that are itchy.
We have invested over $900.00 on him and don't know what to do.

Sorry to hear that this little guy is not doing well. Diarrhea in cats is often a very tough thing to figure out. I won't have an exact answer for you but I can give you some ideas.

If he is eating lots and drinking lots I worry a bit about diabetes. There are not many things that cause an excessive thirst and urination in young cats, but diabetes certainly is a possibility. This can cause all sorts of problems with the immune system. Diabetes is treatable, but almost always needs insulin injections. Some cats who get treated with insulin can revert to become non-diabetic after some time. If he has not had blood tests done, then it is worthwhile to ask your vet to run a general blood panel on him to determine if diabetes is a possibility.

A kidney problem can cause an excess of thirst and urination as well but doesn't usually cause an increase in appetite. A kidney problem would show up on blood tests. Kidney problems are not common in young cats unless they have something like feline leukemia virus or have gotten into something toxic. But, if Beau had eaten something toxic he would be very sick.

There could be an immune system problem that is causing problems with the intestines absorbing food properly. Sometimes cats with autoimmune problems will have multiple immune system issues. The bumps on the chin could be related to this as well. If this was my case and I had ruled out other medical conditions then I might consider putting him on some steroids to see if this helps. If he does have a chronic immune system problem then a very small dose of steroids given regularly might be effective.

The other concern that I have any time a young cat has diarrhea is a condition called FIP. FIP is very serious and there is no cure for it. It can cause diarrhea, and other issues. There is no direct test for FIP. Often there can be clues on the general blood profile. There are other tests that can give clues as well. It's worthwhile to ask your vet if FIP is a possibility but hopefully this is not it.

It may also be a good idea to have your vet do additional tests to look for unusual parasites although this would be lower on my list of possibilities.

I wish I had an exact answer for you as I know this type of problem is very frustrating.

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7696 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5673 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (12914 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14133 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (10464 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8148 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (6072 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9400 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (7862 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5710 views)