Diarrhea and increased appetite.

Breed: Grey and White
We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and had him tested with worms and treated. We have had him on antibiotics because of excessive diareha and blood in stool. After that did not work, he was given a shot of penicillin and it subsided. He is back to Excessive eating and drinking with excessive use of the litter box. He again started with minimal blood in his stool every so often. He now also has quite a bit of bumps on his chin that are itchy.
We have invested over $900.00 on him and don't know what to do.

Sorry to hear that this little guy is not doing well. Diarrhea in cats is often a very tough thing to figure out. I won't have an exact answer for you but I can give you some ideas.

If he is eating lots and drinking lots I worry a bit about diabetes. There are not many things that cause an excessive thirst and urination in young cats, but diabetes certainly is a possibility. This can cause all sorts of problems with the immune system. Diabetes is treatable, but almost always needs insulin injections. Some cats who get treated with insulin can revert to become non-diabetic after some time. If he has not had blood tests done, then it is worthwhile to ask your vet to run a general blood panel on him to determine if diabetes is a possibility.

A kidney problem can cause an excess of thirst and urination as well but doesn't usually cause an increase in appetite. A kidney problem would show up on blood tests. Kidney problems are not common in young cats unless they have something like feline leukemia virus or have gotten into something toxic. But, if Beau had eaten something toxic he would be very sick.

There could be an immune system problem that is causing problems with the intestines absorbing food properly. Sometimes cats with autoimmune problems will have multiple immune system issues. The bumps on the chin could be related to this as well. If this was my case and I had ruled out other medical conditions then I might consider putting him on some steroids to see if this helps. If he does have a chronic immune system problem then a very small dose of steroids given regularly might be effective.

The other concern that I have any time a young cat has diarrhea is a condition called FIP. FIP is very serious and there is no cure for it. It can cause diarrhea, and other issues. There is no direct test for FIP. Often there can be clues on the general blood profile. There are other tests that can give clues as well. It's worthwhile to ask your vet if FIP is a possibility but hopefully this is not it.

It may also be a good idea to have your vet do additional tests to look for unusual parasites although this would be lower on my list of possibilities.

I wish I had an exact answer for you as I know this type of problem is very frustrating.

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13721 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (16910 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8801 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5227 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19797 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15436 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (31171 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31442 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7876 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (39108 views)