Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion.

Breed: morkie
My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an drug used for schizophrenia. Right now he is very sleepy and has an anger problem. Will he be okay after 24 hours of it to pass?

Thanks for your question. Geodon (ziprasidone) can cause some serious problems if enough is eaten by a dog.

Assuming your dog weighs about 3 lbs, he would have consumed a dose of 44 mg/kg which is a very large amount.

At 6-12 mg/kg we can see any of the following side effects:
-low blood pressure
-high blood pressure
-fast heart rate
-tremors
-anxiety

At higher doses (such as what your dog may have had) we could see seizures, serious kidney problems (because of the potential low blood pressure), serious heart problems and possibly even death.

If you think your dog ingested geodon I would highly advise an emergency visit tonight so that your vet can monitor him and if necessary give antidotal medication.

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (5856 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (8116 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (9036 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (4932 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (7301 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (14879 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (15674 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (2548 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (18693 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (10432 views)