My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an drug used for schizophrenia. Right now he is very sleepy and has an anger problem. Will he be okay after 24 hours of it to pass?
Dr. Marie replied:
Thanks for your question. Geodon (ziprasidone) can cause some serious problems if enough is eaten by a dog.
Assuming your dog weighs about 3 lbs, he would have consumed a dose of 44 mg/kg which is a very large amount.
At 6-12 mg/kg we can see any of the following side effects:
-low blood pressure
-high blood pressure
-fast heart rate
At higher doses (such as what your dog may have had) we could see seizures, serious kidney problems (because of the potential low blood pressure), serious heart problems and possibly even death.
If you think your dog ingested geodon I would highly advise an emergency visit tonight so that your vet can monitor him and if necessary give antidotal medication.
Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.
Dr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.
Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.