Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion.

Breed: morkie
My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an drug used for schizophrenia. Right now he is very sleepy and has an anger problem. Will he be okay after 24 hours of it to pass?

Thanks for your question. Geodon (ziprasidone) can cause some serious problems if enough is eaten by a dog.

Assuming your dog weighs about 3 lbs, he would have consumed a dose of 44 mg/kg which is a very large amount.

At 6-12 mg/kg we can see any of the following side effects:
-low blood pressure
-high blood pressure
-fast heart rate
-tremors
-anxiety

At higher doses (such as what your dog may have had) we could see seizures, serious kidney problems (because of the potential low blood pressure), serious heart problems and possibly even death.

If you think your dog ingested geodon I would highly advise an emergency visit tonight so that your vet can monitor him and if necessary give antidotal medication.

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (8743 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (6860 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (7295 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (9387 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (14782 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6113 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (3949 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (39416 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (15195 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (7093 views)