Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion.

Species: Dog
Breed: morkie
Age: 6-12 months
My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an drug used for schizophrenia. Right now he is very sleepy and has an anger problem. Will he be okay after 24 hours of it to pass?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.
 

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question. Geodon (ziprasidone) can cause some serious problems if enough is eaten by a dog.

Assuming your dog weighs about 3 lbs, he would have consumed a dose of 44 mg/kg which is a very large amount.

At 6-12 mg/kg we can see any of the following side effects:
-low blood pressure
-high blood pressure
-fast heart rate
-tremors
-anxiety

At higher doses (such as what your dog may have had) we could see seizures, serious kidney problems (because of the potential low blood pressure), serious heart problems and possibly even death.

If you think your dog ingested geodon I would highly advise an emergency visit tonight so that your vet can monitor him and if necessary give antidotal medication.

I hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?


Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.
Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (6380 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (5195 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (2490 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (7222 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (4754 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (3770 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (8076 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (3321 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (6884 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (6490 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.