Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion.

Breed: morkie
My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an drug used for schizophrenia. Right now he is very sleepy and has an anger problem. Will he be okay after 24 hours of it to pass?

Thanks for your question. Geodon (ziprasidone) can cause some serious problems if enough is eaten by a dog.

Assuming your dog weighs about 3 lbs, he would have consumed a dose of 44 mg/kg which is a very large amount.

At 6-12 mg/kg we can see any of the following side effects:
-low blood pressure
-high blood pressure
-fast heart rate
-tremors
-anxiety

At higher doses (such as what your dog may have had) we could see seizures, serious kidney problems (because of the potential low blood pressure), serious heart problems and possibly even death.

If you think your dog ingested geodon I would highly advise an emergency visit tonight so that your vet can monitor him and if necessary give antidotal medication.

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9076 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (10831 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (7464 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30725 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7719 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22260 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7658 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (9961 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5649 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (15036 views)