Sterile nodular panniculitis?

Breed: Siberian Husky
Hi,

My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five times (~$1000, multiple series of antibiotics and one series of prednisone) and to a specialist vet for dermatology today. The specialist said it will cost $1600 more to run a set of labs to determine what it is. I don't have the money and I'm afraid of doing nothing. Would you please be willing to read a short description and comment?

Three months ago Kobi got a scratch on his back from an old nail. He chewed it and it got infected. The vet had him wear a cone. The infection healed but the cone scratched the skin on his neck. He scratched at this and it got infected. It healed, but then a couple days later a large soft bump developed under the skin. It burst a few days later (mix of blood and yellow liquid). Then on the same spot he developed a set of about 15 small nodules on the skin. These are now bursting once per day or so.

My on-line research found something called "Sterile nodular panniculitis"
http://www.ehow.com/info_7948265_nodules-dogs-skin.html

This sounds like what he has. Two questions please: (1) is there some less expensive way to have this diagnosed?; and (2) if this is what he has what can I do without having to spend a lot more money?

Dan.

ps. I see the note on this form about email photos. I'll try to do that.

Thank you for sending the photos of these red lumps on your dog's neck:

sterile nodular panniculitis?

red lumps on dog

These are definitely not a "normal" case. I can understand why multiple tests are being recommended. I likely would have put this dog on antibiotics first in case this was a bad case of furunculosis which is a bad skin infection. But, it sounds like this was done and didn't help.

This is a really tough situation, especially if funds are limited. If there is sterile nodular panniculitis (and I think there is a good chance that this is), then the treatment is strong doses of immunosuppressive medications. And, in some cases these medications need to be given long term. These medications tend to be expensive.

The problem is, though, that if it is not sterile nodular panniculitis, and it is something infectious then immunosuppressive drugs will make it worse. It is possible that this is a serious fungal infection such as actinomyces, nocardia, or a mycobacterium. I definitely wouldn't want to give immunosuppressives to a dog with fungal disease.

In order to know how to treat this, it will be important to have tests done. Because this is not a common condition, the tests are unfortunately expensive.

I wish I had better options for you. It sounds like all of the inexpensive treatments that possibly could work have already been tried.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your fast response. I appreciate your thoughtful and professional comments.

Best regards,
Dan.

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (17061 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (10310 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (26956 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (14937 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (24136 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (15030 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (12496 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (16846 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (28635 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (17939 views)