Sterile nodular panniculitis?

Breed: Siberian Husky
Hi,

My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five times (~$1000, multiple series of antibiotics and one series of prednisone) and to a specialist vet for dermatology today. The specialist said it will cost $1600 more to run a set of labs to determine what it is. I don't have the money and I'm afraid of doing nothing. Would you please be willing to read a short description and comment?

Three months ago Kobi got a scratch on his back from an old nail. He chewed it and it got infected. The vet had him wear a cone. The infection healed but the cone scratched the skin on his neck. He scratched at this and it got infected. It healed, but then a couple days later a large soft bump developed under the skin. It burst a few days later (mix of blood and yellow liquid). Then on the same spot he developed a set of about 15 small nodules on the skin. These are now bursting once per day or so.

My on-line research found something called "Sterile nodular panniculitis"
http://www.ehow.com/info_7948265_nodules-dogs-skin.html

This sounds like what he has. Two questions please: (1) is there some less expensive way to have this diagnosed?; and (2) if this is what he has what can I do without having to spend a lot more money?

Dan.

ps. I see the note on this form about email photos. I'll try to do that.

Thank you for sending the photos of these red lumps on your dog's neck:

sterile nodular panniculitis?

red lumps on dog

These are definitely not a "normal" case. I can understand why multiple tests are being recommended. I likely would have put this dog on antibiotics first in case this was a bad case of furunculosis which is a bad skin infection. But, it sounds like this was done and didn't help.

This is a really tough situation, especially if funds are limited. If there is sterile nodular panniculitis (and I think there is a good chance that this is), then the treatment is strong doses of immunosuppressive medications. And, in some cases these medications need to be given long term. These medications tend to be expensive.

The problem is, though, that if it is not sterile nodular panniculitis, and it is something infectious then immunosuppressive drugs will make it worse. It is possible that this is a serious fungal infection such as actinomyces, nocardia, or a mycobacterium. I definitely wouldn't want to give immunosuppressives to a dog with fungal disease.

In order to know how to treat this, it will be important to have tests done. Because this is not a common condition, the tests are unfortunately expensive.

I wish I had better options for you. It sounds like all of the inexpensive treatments that possibly could work have already been tried.

Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your fast response. I appreciate your thoughtful and professional comments.

Best regards,
Dan.

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (13407 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9608 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11038 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25047 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5467 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5404 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (24766 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (7910 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (21534 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (11165 views)