How much should a dog sleep?

Breed: Cairn
I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed and just turned 10 years old. He is still as spunky as ever when awake but seems to be sleeping more than he used to. How many hours is normal?

I don't know that anyone knows the answer to this question!

I have seen many dogs that will sleep more as they get older. Many dogs will sleep more soundly as well. This is often because their hearing gets worse as they get older and as such they are not woken up by things that used to be able to wake them up.

As long as your dog is eating a normal amount, drinking a normal amount, not losing weight and seems bright and alert when he is awake then I would not be too worried.

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (12131 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (6452 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (17047 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (13578 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (8953 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (8674 views)

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (16156 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (694058 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (8110 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (9430 views)