How much should a dog sleep?

Breed: Cairn
I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed and just turned 10 years old. He is still as spunky as ever when awake but seems to be sleeping more than he used to. How many hours is normal?

I don't know that anyone knows the answer to this question!

I have seen many dogs that will sleep more as they get older. Many dogs will sleep more soundly as well. This is often because their hearing gets worse as they get older and as such they are not woken up by things that used to be able to wake them up.

As long as your dog is eating a normal amount, drinking a normal amount, not losing weight and seems bright and alert when he is awake then I would not be too worried.

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (18178 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10467 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (23743 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7143 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (7794 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (22052 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (95883 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11225 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19617 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (87230 views)