How much should a dog sleep?

Breed: Cairn
I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed and just turned 10 years old. He is still as spunky as ever when awake but seems to be sleeping more than he used to. How many hours is normal?

I don't know that anyone knows the answer to this question!

I have seen many dogs that will sleep more as they get older. Many dogs will sleep more soundly as well. This is often because their hearing gets worse as they get older and as such they are not woken up by things that used to be able to wake them up.

As long as your dog is eating a normal amount, drinking a normal amount, not losing weight and seems bright and alert when he is awake then I would not be too worried.

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6297 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (17509 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (16671 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (9129 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8703 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (36019 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (11591 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12481 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (22942 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (23088 views)