How much should a dog sleep?

Breed: Cairn
I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed and just turned 10 years old. He is still as spunky as ever when awake but seems to be sleeping more than he used to. How many hours is normal?

I don't know that anyone knows the answer to this question!

I have seen many dogs that will sleep more as they get older. Many dogs will sleep more soundly as well. This is often because their hearing gets worse as they get older and as such they are not woken up by things that used to be able to wake them up.

As long as your dog is eating a normal amount, drinking a normal amount, not losing weight and seems bright and alert when he is awake then I would not be too worried.

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14499 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7551 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54744 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10456 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13650 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (12866 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (5976 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (55027 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (11150 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7568 views)