How much should a dog sleep?

Breed: Cairn
I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed and just turned 10 years old. He is still as spunky as ever when awake but seems to be sleeping more than he used to. How many hours is normal?

I don't know that anyone knows the answer to this question!

I have seen many dogs that will sleep more as they get older. Many dogs will sleep more soundly as well. This is often because their hearing gets worse as they get older and as such they are not woken up by things that used to be able to wake them up.

As long as your dog is eating a normal amount, drinking a normal amount, not losing weight and seems bright and alert when he is awake then I would not be too worried.

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (90000 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (9346 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9188 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (9589 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (42914 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (8845 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (33954 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (4552 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (22867 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (22240 views)