How much should a dog sleep?

Breed: Cairn
I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed and just turned 10 years old. He is still as spunky as ever when awake but seems to be sleeping more than he used to. How many hours is normal?

I don't know that anyone knows the answer to this question!

I have seen many dogs that will sleep more as they get older. Many dogs will sleep more soundly as well. This is often because their hearing gets worse as they get older and as such they are not woken up by things that used to be able to wake them up.

As long as your dog is eating a normal amount, drinking a normal amount, not losing weight and seems bright and alert when he is awake then I would not be too worried.

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (8968 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (9220 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16267 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5265 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (31416 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10335 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9603 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (22097 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (9944 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (22863 views)