Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (21730 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (9689 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (13858 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (23715 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (11789 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6419 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18830 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24444 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9116 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (8955 views)