Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (149207 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13670 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8276 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9469 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11432 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13747 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (26864 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4844 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7687 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5367 views)