Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (10569 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (12822 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (22635 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (19059 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (32375 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (11472 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10860 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7899 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15259 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8882 views)