Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11450 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (12774 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13483 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8443 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6273 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13375 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (20177 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (34010 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (30226 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10319 views)