Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (16377 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12090 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8271 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (7470 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29174 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (24918 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (15593 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15090 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8178 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (182897 views)