Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (9588 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (13963 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (19000 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (11768 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (13954 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (25247 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (31504 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (49312 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (12568 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (46000 views)