Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9665 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (6754 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15363 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (9448 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (9572 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5192 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (11918 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (5737 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6074 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (9071 views)