Cat losing hair on neck and ears.

Breed: Long-haired cat
My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur on her ears and behind her neck. do you know whats happening to her?

Hi there!

Skin problems are always hard to diagnose without being able to see the kitty, but let me give you a few ideas.

Whenever I see hair loss on a cat, the first thing I think of is an allergy to fleas. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that even one bite can cause hair loss. The back of the neck is an area that is commonly affected in a flea allergic animal.

If you think fleas are at all possible (even remotely) then I would highly advise a prescription product such as Advantage, Revolution or Frontline as many of the over the counter products don't work well.

Ringworm is another possibility which is a fungal infection.

Have a look inside of her ears...do you see any black stuff that looks like coffee grounds? If so, she likely has ear mites. Revolution is my favorite treatment for ear mites. I don't find the over the counter products work well.

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (8785 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14049 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (8098 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (10234 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (7713 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (12014 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (32214 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5517 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14344 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9638 views)