Damaged intestines?

Breed: German Shepherd
A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told him no and I have kept a close eye on him while outside since then. That night after he ate the berries he began having TERRIBLE diarrhea, even in the house (very unusual for him). This lasted a few days, I became very concerned and took a sample in to the vet. The vet checked and there are no worms in his stool or any other concerns. We also started him on heartgard just in case. That evening I started him on rice, beans, and hamburger. After a few days of this the diarrhea was gone! So I slowly introduced his 4Health puppy food (Lamb and Rice), and the diarrhea started again right away. So back to rice, beans and hamburger. I went out and bought Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice puppy food. The food is a huge hit and the diarrhea went away, hooray! After a week and a half of Blue, yogurt, carrots and smart bite treats I made the mistake of feeding him a Beggin Strip. Now for two and a half days he has had diarrhea again. I threw away all treats but the ones that he had been getting with no diarrhea. I don't mind feeding him natural food and treats, but my question is did the berries damage his intestines? Or what is your opinion on this situation? Your response is appreciated!

It sounds like Diesel has had a rough time with his intestines!

I wouldn't think that the berries damaged his intestines. However, it's possible that having severe diarrhea messed up the levels of bacteria in his intestines. You might want to talk to your vet about using a probiotic such as forti-flora or florentero for a couple of weeks. This will help the intestines to recover.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a second fecal exam to be absolutely sure there are no parasites. Sometimes we don't see them on every sample.

Your vet may also prescribe medication such as metronidazole to help with intestinal inflammation.

I hope all is well! Dr. Marie.

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13732 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (31022 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (41618 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (31218 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12350 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9672 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24646 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (36223 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30975 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10495 views)