Damaged intestines?

Breed: German Shepherd
A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told him no and I have kept a close eye on him while outside since then. That night after he ate the berries he began having TERRIBLE diarrhea, even in the house (very unusual for him). This lasted a few days, I became very concerned and took a sample in to the vet. The vet checked and there are no worms in his stool or any other concerns. We also started him on heartgard just in case. That evening I started him on rice, beans, and hamburger. After a few days of this the diarrhea was gone! So I slowly introduced his 4Health puppy food (Lamb and Rice), and the diarrhea started again right away. So back to rice, beans and hamburger. I went out and bought Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice puppy food. The food is a huge hit and the diarrhea went away, hooray! After a week and a half of Blue, yogurt, carrots and smart bite treats I made the mistake of feeding him a Beggin Strip. Now for two and a half days he has had diarrhea again. I threw away all treats but the ones that he had been getting with no diarrhea. I don't mind feeding him natural food and treats, but my question is did the berries damage his intestines? Or what is your opinion on this situation? Your response is appreciated!

It sounds like Diesel has had a rough time with his intestines!

I wouldn't think that the berries damaged his intestines. However, it's possible that having severe diarrhea messed up the levels of bacteria in his intestines. You might want to talk to your vet about using a probiotic such as forti-flora or florentero for a couple of weeks. This will help the intestines to recover.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a second fecal exam to be absolutely sure there are no parasites. Sometimes we don't see them on every sample.

Your vet may also prescribe medication such as metronidazole to help with intestinal inflammation.

I hope all is well! Dr. Marie.

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (21204 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (29776 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (38681 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (12244 views)

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (35304 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (10151 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (12116 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (7026 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (12507 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (13590 views)