Damaged intestines?

Breed: German Shepherd
A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told him no and I have kept a close eye on him while outside since then. That night after he ate the berries he began having TERRIBLE diarrhea, even in the house (very unusual for him). This lasted a few days, I became very concerned and took a sample in to the vet. The vet checked and there are no worms in his stool or any other concerns. We also started him on heartgard just in case. That evening I started him on rice, beans, and hamburger. After a few days of this the diarrhea was gone! So I slowly introduced his 4Health puppy food (Lamb and Rice), and the diarrhea started again right away. So back to rice, beans and hamburger. I went out and bought Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice puppy food. The food is a huge hit and the diarrhea went away, hooray! After a week and a half of Blue, yogurt, carrots and smart bite treats I made the mistake of feeding him a Beggin Strip. Now for two and a half days he has had diarrhea again. I threw away all treats but the ones that he had been getting with no diarrhea. I don't mind feeding him natural food and treats, but my question is did the berries damage his intestines? Or what is your opinion on this situation? Your response is appreciated!

It sounds like Diesel has had a rough time with his intestines!

I wouldn't think that the berries damaged his intestines. However, it's possible that having severe diarrhea messed up the levels of bacteria in his intestines. You might want to talk to your vet about using a probiotic such as forti-flora or florentero for a couple of weeks. This will help the intestines to recover.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a second fecal exam to be absolutely sure there are no parasites. Sometimes we don't see them on every sample.

Your vet may also prescribe medication such as metronidazole to help with intestinal inflammation.

I hope all is well! Dr. Marie.

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12288 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4303 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (84153 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15283 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9265 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7010 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (39543 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13118 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (24077 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16629 views)