Damaged intestines?

Breed: German Shepherd
A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told him no and I have kept a close eye on him while outside since then. That night after he ate the berries he began having TERRIBLE diarrhea, even in the house (very unusual for him). This lasted a few days, I became very concerned and took a sample in to the vet. The vet checked and there are no worms in his stool or any other concerns. We also started him on heartgard just in case. That evening I started him on rice, beans, and hamburger. After a few days of this the diarrhea was gone! So I slowly introduced his 4Health puppy food (Lamb and Rice), and the diarrhea started again right away. So back to rice, beans and hamburger. I went out and bought Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice puppy food. The food is a huge hit and the diarrhea went away, hooray! After a week and a half of Blue, yogurt, carrots and smart bite treats I made the mistake of feeding him a Beggin Strip. Now for two and a half days he has had diarrhea again. I threw away all treats but the ones that he had been getting with no diarrhea. I don't mind feeding him natural food and treats, but my question is did the berries damage his intestines? Or what is your opinion on this situation? Your response is appreciated!

It sounds like Diesel has had a rough time with his intestines!

I wouldn't think that the berries damaged his intestines. However, it's possible that having severe diarrhea messed up the levels of bacteria in his intestines. You might want to talk to your vet about using a probiotic such as forti-flora or florentero for a couple of weeks. This will help the intestines to recover.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a second fecal exam to be absolutely sure there are no parasites. Sometimes we don't see them on every sample.

Your vet may also prescribe medication such as metronidazole to help with intestinal inflammation.

I hope all is well! Dr. Marie.

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6811 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (11979 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21136 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (17323 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5982 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9317 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (9587 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (4972 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4523 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40444 views)