Damaged intestines?

Breed: German Shepherd
A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told him no and I have kept a close eye on him while outside since then. That night after he ate the berries he began having TERRIBLE diarrhea, even in the house (very unusual for him). This lasted a few days, I became very concerned and took a sample in to the vet. The vet checked and there are no worms in his stool or any other concerns. We also started him on heartgard just in case. That evening I started him on rice, beans, and hamburger. After a few days of this the diarrhea was gone! So I slowly introduced his 4Health puppy food (Lamb and Rice), and the diarrhea started again right away. So back to rice, beans and hamburger. I went out and bought Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice puppy food. The food is a huge hit and the diarrhea went away, hooray! After a week and a half of Blue, yogurt, carrots and smart bite treats I made the mistake of feeding him a Beggin Strip. Now for two and a half days he has had diarrhea again. I threw away all treats but the ones that he had been getting with no diarrhea. I don't mind feeding him natural food and treats, but my question is did the berries damage his intestines? Or what is your opinion on this situation? Your response is appreciated!

It sounds like Diesel has had a rough time with his intestines!

I wouldn't think that the berries damaged his intestines. However, it's possible that having severe diarrhea messed up the levels of bacteria in his intestines. You might want to talk to your vet about using a probiotic such as forti-flora or florentero for a couple of weeks. This will help the intestines to recover.

It is also a good idea to have your vet do a second fecal exam to be absolutely sure there are no parasites. Sometimes we don't see them on every sample.

Your vet may also prescribe medication such as metronidazole to help with intestinal inflammation.

I hope all is well! Dr. Marie.

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (6027 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (47345 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (7110 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7917 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (20614 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (26157 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (10277 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (14097 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (20839 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14790 views)