Brown fur from licking.

Breed: Bichon
Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning brown. His fur is all white so you can see how much brown in those areas.

I feed only organic foods with no corn and the first ingredient meat. Plato got very sick and almost died when he was under a year old from corn in his dog food.

Hi Julie and thanks for your question.

By far the most common reason for a dog to lick in those areas is allergies. However, food allergies are actually not that common. Most often when a dog has allergies it is because they are allergic to something in the environment such as a weed like ragweed. Usually we can't find the source of allergies.

The fur is stained brown because that is what happens when saliva repeatedly touches the fur. It will eventually go away once the allergies clear up. You can also buy good products in the pet store or at your vet that will help you to clean these areas.

Regarding the allergies, in many areas allergy season is coming to an end and you may find that your dog clears up on his own. If you live in an area that is cold enough to see frost then once there are a few good frosts most dogs start to get better.

But, many dogs do need prescription medications to help with the itching. The most effective medicines are steroids such as prednisone. When we give prednisone to a dog for allergies we give it in very small doses and it is not harmful to a dog.

While there are a few dogs that do ok with antihistamines the vast majority do need some steroids.

Regarding the food, if your dog has an environmental allergy then changing the diet will not help at all.

I hope this helps! If you think he needs medication your vet will likely want to take a look at him just to confirm that this is indeed allergies.

Hope Plato is feeling better soon!

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (3484 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (24730 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (14116 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (11656 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (7478 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (34742 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (39194 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (6146 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (25248 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (8976 views)