Brown fur from licking.

Breed: Bichon
Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning brown. His fur is all white so you can see how much brown in those areas.

I feed only organic foods with no corn and the first ingredient meat. Plato got very sick and almost died when he was under a year old from corn in his dog food.

Hi Julie and thanks for your question.

By far the most common reason for a dog to lick in those areas is allergies. However, food allergies are actually not that common. Most often when a dog has allergies it is because they are allergic to something in the environment such as a weed like ragweed. Usually we can't find the source of allergies.

The fur is stained brown because that is what happens when saliva repeatedly touches the fur. It will eventually go away once the allergies clear up. You can also buy good products in the pet store or at your vet that will help you to clean these areas.

Regarding the allergies, in many areas allergy season is coming to an end and you may find that your dog clears up on his own. If you live in an area that is cold enough to see frost then once there are a few good frosts most dogs start to get better.

But, many dogs do need prescription medications to help with the itching. The most effective medicines are steroids such as prednisone. When we give prednisone to a dog for allergies we give it in very small doses and it is not harmful to a dog.

While there are a few dogs that do ok with antihistamines the vast majority do need some steroids.

Regarding the food, if your dog has an environmental allergy then changing the diet will not help at all.

I hope this helps! If you think he needs medication your vet will likely want to take a look at him just to confirm that this is indeed allergies.

Hope Plato is feeling better soon!

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54753 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12352 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (46886 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (88138 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11226 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (16111 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11690 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (8287 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (12350 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8371 views)