Brown fur from licking.

Breed: Bichon
Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning brown. His fur is all white so you can see how much brown in those areas.

I feed only organic foods with no corn and the first ingredient meat. Plato got very sick and almost died when he was under a year old from corn in his dog food.

Hi Julie and thanks for your question.

By far the most common reason for a dog to lick in those areas is allergies. However, food allergies are actually not that common. Most often when a dog has allergies it is because they are allergic to something in the environment such as a weed like ragweed. Usually we can't find the source of allergies.

The fur is stained brown because that is what happens when saliva repeatedly touches the fur. It will eventually go away once the allergies clear up. You can also buy good products in the pet store or at your vet that will help you to clean these areas.

Regarding the allergies, in many areas allergy season is coming to an end and you may find that your dog clears up on his own. If you live in an area that is cold enough to see frost then once there are a few good frosts most dogs start to get better.

But, many dogs do need prescription medications to help with the itching. The most effective medicines are steroids such as prednisone. When we give prednisone to a dog for allergies we give it in very small doses and it is not harmful to a dog.

While there are a few dogs that do ok with antihistamines the vast majority do need some steroids.

Regarding the food, if your dog has an environmental allergy then changing the diet will not help at all.

I hope this helps! If you think he needs medication your vet will likely want to take a look at him just to confirm that this is indeed allergies.

Hope Plato is feeling better soon!

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8720 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68773 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (11321 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10025 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (42387 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10252 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (8240 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5081 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10978 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6233 views)