Brown fur from licking.

Breed: Bichon
Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning brown. His fur is all white so you can see how much brown in those areas.

I feed only organic foods with no corn and the first ingredient meat. Plato got very sick and almost died when he was under a year old from corn in his dog food.

Hi Julie and thanks for your question.

By far the most common reason for a dog to lick in those areas is allergies. However, food allergies are actually not that common. Most often when a dog has allergies it is because they are allergic to something in the environment such as a weed like ragweed. Usually we can't find the source of allergies.

The fur is stained brown because that is what happens when saliva repeatedly touches the fur. It will eventually go away once the allergies clear up. You can also buy good products in the pet store or at your vet that will help you to clean these areas.

Regarding the allergies, in many areas allergy season is coming to an end and you may find that your dog clears up on his own. If you live in an area that is cold enough to see frost then once there are a few good frosts most dogs start to get better.

But, many dogs do need prescription medications to help with the itching. The most effective medicines are steroids such as prednisone. When we give prednisone to a dog for allergies we give it in very small doses and it is not harmful to a dog.

While there are a few dogs that do ok with antihistamines the vast majority do need some steroids.

Regarding the food, if your dog has an environmental allergy then changing the diet will not help at all.

I hope this helps! If you think he needs medication your vet will likely want to take a look at him just to confirm that this is indeed allergies.

Hope Plato is feeling better soon!

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5868 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (11099 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (10676 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (21206 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (11627 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (6303 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (33545 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (15564 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13841 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (124572 views)