Lethargic kitten after spay.

Breed: gray calico
My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her spaying I have noticed she has lost her energy. She was very playful before and even being sore after she was very active for around 3 weeks. Now her appitite has slowed down and she started to throw up clear water type vomit. This has been going on for a few days. She does eat but in very small amounts. I gave her some wet food to see if she prefered it to the dry kibble, and though she ate it she threw it up about a half hour later. she is drinking water but not in excess. Should I be worried or maybe it's just a bug? I look forward to hearing your opinion.

thank you
Leigh Eyre

I'm sorry to hear that Pong is having problems.

The symptoms that you are describing do have me concerned.

Any time I see a young kitten that is not eating and vomiting I get worried about the possibility of her having a foreign object of some sort in her stomach. Kittens can eat all sorts of strange things that they shouldn't eat.

It is also possible that there is a connection to her spay. Although not common, if an animal had a problem with her kidneys or liver and then underwent major surgery this can cause the problem to become worse. For this reason I think it is a good idea to have your vet take a look and possibly do some bloodwork to make sure that everything is ok.

It's also possible that there is some infection present, either on her incision (does it look red and puffy at all?) or inside her abdomen.

I do think a vet visit is a good idea.

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4539 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (4994 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9128 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (16635 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5050 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5158 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (42434 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (15708 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (26312 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8015 views)