Older dog acting strange.

Breed: Austrailan Shepherd
I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The last couple of months his behavior has done a 180. I have two dogs and I have always been able to leave food in the car and they would never touch it. The other day I was in a store for about 10 min. and in that time he ate a whole bag of hot dog buns and a small apple pie. They never bark when left in the car and know not to get in the front seat. Now he barks aggressively at anything OR sits in the front seat and just kind of yips. He has become very clingy and wants to be in my lap if I'm sitting down or follows my every move when I'm up. He eats well, plays like a pup (second puppyhood?) and is in good "physical" health. The other day he got out of my backyard and I was working in the front. He didn't come up to me and I didn't know he was out until I heard a horn honk and looked up and he was standing in the middle of the road just staring at the car honking it's horn. Wouldn't move until I called him. His hearing and eyesight are fine. Is this a form of senility that just comes with age or is there some supplement or vitamin that would help him.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that Dakota is having these problems.

Does Dakota drink a lot of water? If so, it may be that he has something called Cusing's Disease. Cushing's can cause a dog to have an increased appetite. They have more cortisol (adrenaline) in their system so they can be "on edge" more.

Cushing's is treatable but it can be expensive to treat.

I have also seen dogs get cognitive function which is similar to senility in people. This can cause all sorts of strange behaviors. Unfortunately there is no test for this condition. Many dogs can be helped with medication or with a special food called Hill's b/d. Both of these would need to be prescribed by your vet.

Another possibility for him to be more aggressive as he gets older is if he has pain, for example, from arthritis. If your vet suspects this they may try him on a course of pain medication to see if this makes a difference.

There really isn't any supplement or vitamin that I can recommend.

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (54341 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4437 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (10597 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (7857 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (14734 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (4507 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (10066 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (29990 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (25198 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8198 views)