Older dog acting strange.

Breed: Austrailan Shepherd
I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The last couple of months his behavior has done a 180. I have two dogs and I have always been able to leave food in the car and they would never touch it. The other day I was in a store for about 10 min. and in that time he ate a whole bag of hot dog buns and a small apple pie. They never bark when left in the car and know not to get in the front seat. Now he barks aggressively at anything OR sits in the front seat and just kind of yips. He has become very clingy and wants to be in my lap if I'm sitting down or follows my every move when I'm up. He eats well, plays like a pup (second puppyhood?) and is in good "physical" health. The other day he got out of my backyard and I was working in the front. He didn't come up to me and I didn't know he was out until I heard a horn honk and looked up and he was standing in the middle of the road just staring at the car honking it's horn. Wouldn't move until I called him. His hearing and eyesight are fine. Is this a form of senility that just comes with age or is there some supplement or vitamin that would help him.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that Dakota is having these problems.

Does Dakota drink a lot of water? If so, it may be that he has something called Cusing's Disease. Cushing's can cause a dog to have an increased appetite. They have more cortisol (adrenaline) in their system so they can be "on edge" more.

Cushing's is treatable but it can be expensive to treat.

I have also seen dogs get cognitive function which is similar to senility in people. This can cause all sorts of strange behaviors. Unfortunately there is no test for this condition. Many dogs can be helped with medication or with a special food called Hill's b/d. Both of these would need to be prescribed by your vet.

Another possibility for him to be more aggressive as he gets older is if he has pain, for example, from arthritis. If your vet suspects this they may try him on a course of pain medication to see if this makes a difference.

There really isn't any supplement or vitamin that I can recommend.

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (13219 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (14524 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (22176 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (92678 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (9746 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (121124 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (38482 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (8918 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (20053 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (55713 views)