Sore after shots.

Breed: collie shepard mix
This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now wimpering everytime she moves. Could we have hit a nerve or muscle with the shot? Is there anything we can do to help her? Thanks!

Sorry to hear that Zoey is having problems.

It is possible that she is having an allergic reaction to the vaccines. You can try giving her Benadryl to see if this helps. The dose for Benadryl is 1mg per pound. So, if she was 50 lbs she would get 2 of the 25 mg tablets. If this helps she can have it every 8 hours.

However, it is also possible that there has been a problem with the injection. If the injection affected a nerve then this can be very serious. However, we usually see limping if this has happened.

I have also seen dogs get an abscess at the site of an injection as well, but this is not common.

I am not a fan of owners giving vaccines. I recently heard of a case where vaccines were given to a cat and the needle penetrated the spinal cord when the cat jumped which resulting in paralysis. It's always a good idea to have your vet do any injections.

If she does not improve within an hour of the benadryl then she should definitely see a vet today.

Hope she is ok!

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (15232 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (34961 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (89203 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (29659 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (7287 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (26054 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (32488 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (9990 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (8440 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (8817 views)