Sore after shots.

Breed: collie shepard mix
This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now wimpering everytime she moves. Could we have hit a nerve or muscle with the shot? Is there anything we can do to help her? Thanks!

Sorry to hear that Zoey is having problems.

It is possible that she is having an allergic reaction to the vaccines. You can try giving her Benadryl to see if this helps. The dose for Benadryl is 1mg per pound. So, if she was 50 lbs she would get 2 of the 25 mg tablets. If this helps she can have it every 8 hours.

However, it is also possible that there has been a problem with the injection. If the injection affected a nerve then this can be very serious. However, we usually see limping if this has happened.

I have also seen dogs get an abscess at the site of an injection as well, but this is not common.

I am not a fan of owners giving vaccines. I recently heard of a case where vaccines were given to a cat and the needle penetrated the spinal cord when the cat jumped which resulting in paralysis. It's always a good idea to have your vet do any injections.

If she does not improve within an hour of the benadryl then she should definitely see a vet today.

Hope she is ok!

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (7126 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (23644 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9198 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (5677 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (181124 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (9019 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8778 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5243 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14795 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8527 views)