Sore after shots.

Breed: collie shepard mix
This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now wimpering everytime she moves. Could we have hit a nerve or muscle with the shot? Is there anything we can do to help her? Thanks!

Sorry to hear that Zoey is having problems.

It is possible that she is having an allergic reaction to the vaccines. You can try giving her Benadryl to see if this helps. The dose for Benadryl is 1mg per pound. So, if she was 50 lbs she would get 2 of the 25 mg tablets. If this helps she can have it every 8 hours.

However, it is also possible that there has been a problem with the injection. If the injection affected a nerve then this can be very serious. However, we usually see limping if this has happened.

I have also seen dogs get an abscess at the site of an injection as well, but this is not common.

I am not a fan of owners giving vaccines. I recently heard of a case where vaccines were given to a cat and the needle penetrated the spinal cord when the cat jumped which resulting in paralysis. It's always a good idea to have your vet do any injections.

If she does not improve within an hour of the benadryl then she should definitely see a vet today.

Hope she is ok!

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (23533 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (36354 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (7078 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (8379 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (63946 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (35770 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (7541 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (6378 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (5447 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (31870 views)