Sore after shots.

Breed: collie shepard mix
This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now wimpering everytime she moves. Could we have hit a nerve or muscle with the shot? Is there anything we can do to help her? Thanks!

Sorry to hear that Zoey is having problems.

It is possible that she is having an allergic reaction to the vaccines. You can try giving her Benadryl to see if this helps. The dose for Benadryl is 1mg per pound. So, if she was 50 lbs she would get 2 of the 25 mg tablets. If this helps she can have it every 8 hours.

However, it is also possible that there has been a problem with the injection. If the injection affected a nerve then this can be very serious. However, we usually see limping if this has happened.

I have also seen dogs get an abscess at the site of an injection as well, but this is not common.

I am not a fan of owners giving vaccines. I recently heard of a case where vaccines were given to a cat and the needle penetrated the spinal cord when the cat jumped which resulting in paralysis. It's always a good idea to have your vet do any injections.

If she does not improve within an hour of the benadryl then she should definitely see a vet today.

Hope she is ok!

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20401 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (20172 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (16581 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18740 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (6558 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (9092 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20691 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (31668 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13827 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (16356 views)