Sore after shots.

Breed: collie shepard mix
This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now wimpering everytime she moves. Could we have hit a nerve or muscle with the shot? Is there anything we can do to help her? Thanks!

Sorry to hear that Zoey is having problems.

It is possible that she is having an allergic reaction to the vaccines. You can try giving her Benadryl to see if this helps. The dose for Benadryl is 1mg per pound. So, if she was 50 lbs she would get 2 of the 25 mg tablets. If this helps she can have it every 8 hours.

However, it is also possible that there has been a problem with the injection. If the injection affected a nerve then this can be very serious. However, we usually see limping if this has happened.

I have also seen dogs get an abscess at the site of an injection as well, but this is not common.

I am not a fan of owners giving vaccines. I recently heard of a case where vaccines were given to a cat and the needle penetrated the spinal cord when the cat jumped which resulting in paralysis. It's always a good idea to have your vet do any injections.

If she does not improve within an hour of the benadryl then she should definitely see a vet today.

Hope she is ok!

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (11147 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (18687 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (23807 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (19846 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (14106 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (10653 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (14901 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (16456 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (27355 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (38417 views)