Pain in stomatitis after extractions.

Breed: feline
9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth pulled as a last resort. She received a depomedrol shot every three weeks for pain. Have had her on Atopica for 5 weeks in addition to the depo. She needs a shot today because the Atopica is doing nothing, and the depo has worn off.

When she's on the depo, she eats like there's no tomorrow...great appetite. But when the 3 weeks are up, her mouth is so sore that she won't let me put anything in it, like any kind of drops or any kind of pain meds. She HURTS.

We also tried a laser treatment on her gums, but it did not help.

Is there anything else I can try? I don't want to put her down. We love her very much and seeing her in pain is heartbreaking. I am taking her in to my vet tomorrow, but just thought you might have some suggestions that might help.

Thank you.

Stomatitis can be extremely difficult. Not all stomatitis cats are FIV positive. I have seen quite a few that were healthy other than their stomatitis.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. In the vast majority of cases, full mouth extractions solve the problem and there is no pain after this. But I have heard of some cases where pain persists.

The first thing I would suggest, if this were my case would be to have dental radiographs done to see if perhaps there are any tooth roots under the gums. This can sometimes happen after extractions and could be contributing to pain.

Otherwise, treatment can be difficult. You can ask your vet if perhaps adding buprenorphine could help with the pain. Gabapentin is another drug that can sometimes help for chronic pain. You can ask your vet if those options would be likely to work for your girl.

I hope things improve soon. You are doing all of the right things.

Thanks for that suggestion of the x-rays for tooth roots. I will suggest that to my vet.

With her, she is doing great one day, then the next day she is in so much pain she can't eat. I have no advance warning. So I get her to the vet as quickly as possible for the depo, but it takes it a good 2 days before she can eat again. The depo has been lasting approximately 21 days between shots.

I have Buprenex on hand for her, but unfortunately once the pain starts, she refuses to allow me to give it to her because she hurts. Holding her by the nap of the neck and forcing it in her mouth only makes her hurt more.

After my visit yesterday, my vet says we are going to suspend the use of the Atopica because it's not helping. We got another depo shot, and we added prednisone once daily to see if we can get her past the 21 day mark for the depo. I understand the risks involved there concerning the possibility of diabetes developing, but at this point I am up against a wall.

This sounds like a very difficult case. The only other thing I could suggest is to ask your vet whether a referral to a veterinary dentist could possibly help.

I really wish I could offer more.

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (29647 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (6196 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (4197 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (13187 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (7605 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (17574 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (9650 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (21225 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (7831 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (13746 views)