Relapse of parvo?

Breed: Lab
We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it home. In the last two weeks we have made several visits to the vet and have managed to save him. We found him laying on the basement floor this morning surrounded by alot of poop whining unable to walk. He has ate and drank all day and went to the bathroom normally. He will stand for a few minutes at a time and attempt to walk a few feet. We have had such a expense with the parvo, what would be causing these problems now.

Oh dear, I am sorry that you are going through this with Tank. Parvo is a nasty disease.

It is unusual though for a dog with parvo to have a relapse. Usually once the disease is cleared then they are fine.

I am wondering if there is a secondary problem. When a dog has parvo there is some damage done to the villi which are the parts of the intestine that absorb fluid. It is possible that he has an infection in his intestines now.

It is also possible that he has parasites such as giardia or coccidia. Dogs with one of these parasites need to be treated with prescription medication.

The fact that he is eating and drinking well is a really good sign but it sounds like he still does need to have another vet visit. Bring in a stool sample with you and your vet will check again for parasites. I would still do this even if he had a check with your initial visit as sometimes parasites can be hard to find.

I really hope he is ok!

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61403 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (49790 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (70886 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12090 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7930 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10117 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (51679 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (15633 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4934 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (22930 views)