Relapse of parvo?

Breed: Lab
We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it home. In the last two weeks we have made several visits to the vet and have managed to save him. We found him laying on the basement floor this morning surrounded by alot of poop whining unable to walk. He has ate and drank all day and went to the bathroom normally. He will stand for a few minutes at a time and attempt to walk a few feet. We have had such a expense with the parvo, what would be causing these problems now.

Oh dear, I am sorry that you are going through this with Tank. Parvo is a nasty disease.

It is unusual though for a dog with parvo to have a relapse. Usually once the disease is cleared then they are fine.

I am wondering if there is a secondary problem. When a dog has parvo there is some damage done to the villi which are the parts of the intestine that absorb fluid. It is possible that he has an infection in his intestines now.

It is also possible that he has parasites such as giardia or coccidia. Dogs with one of these parasites need to be treated with prescription medication.

The fact that he is eating and drinking well is a really good sign but it sounds like he still does need to have another vet visit. Bring in a stool sample with you and your vet will check again for parasites. I would still do this even if he had a check with your initial visit as sometimes parasites can be hard to find.

I really hope he is ok!

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (22300 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9566 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (50858 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (8919 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (15519 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (7386 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (43354 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (14529 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9251 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4328 views)