Relapse of parvo?

Breed: Lab
We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it home. In the last two weeks we have made several visits to the vet and have managed to save him. We found him laying on the basement floor this morning surrounded by alot of poop whining unable to walk. He has ate and drank all day and went to the bathroom normally. He will stand for a few minutes at a time and attempt to walk a few feet. We have had such a expense with the parvo, what would be causing these problems now.

Oh dear, I am sorry that you are going through this with Tank. Parvo is a nasty disease.

It is unusual though for a dog with parvo to have a relapse. Usually once the disease is cleared then they are fine.

I am wondering if there is a secondary problem. When a dog has parvo there is some damage done to the villi which are the parts of the intestine that absorb fluid. It is possible that he has an infection in his intestines now.

It is also possible that he has parasites such as giardia or coccidia. Dogs with one of these parasites need to be treated with prescription medication.

The fact that he is eating and drinking well is a really good sign but it sounds like he still does need to have another vet visit. Bring in a stool sample with you and your vet will check again for parasites. I would still do this even if he had a check with your initial visit as sometimes parasites can be hard to find.

I really hope he is ok!

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (12706 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (35328 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6949 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (19278 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6057 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18479 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (39611 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12734 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (7196 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9894 views)