Relapse of parvo?

Breed: Lab
We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it home. In the last two weeks we have made several visits to the vet and have managed to save him. We found him laying on the basement floor this morning surrounded by alot of poop whining unable to walk. He has ate and drank all day and went to the bathroom normally. He will stand for a few minutes at a time and attempt to walk a few feet. We have had such a expense with the parvo, what would be causing these problems now.

Oh dear, I am sorry that you are going through this with Tank. Parvo is a nasty disease.

It is unusual though for a dog with parvo to have a relapse. Usually once the disease is cleared then they are fine.

I am wondering if there is a secondary problem. When a dog has parvo there is some damage done to the villi which are the parts of the intestine that absorb fluid. It is possible that he has an infection in his intestines now.

It is also possible that he has parasites such as giardia or coccidia. Dogs with one of these parasites need to be treated with prescription medication.

The fact that he is eating and drinking well is a really good sign but it sounds like he still does need to have another vet visit. Bring in a stool sample with you and your vet will check again for parasites. I would still do this even if he had a check with your initial visit as sometimes parasites can be hard to find.

I really hope he is ok!

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6949 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9224 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25588 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7643 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (4248 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (14478 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (13920 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10063 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14944 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11987 views)