Relapse of parvo?

Breed: Lab
We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it home. In the last two weeks we have made several visits to the vet and have managed to save him. We found him laying on the basement floor this morning surrounded by alot of poop whining unable to walk. He has ate and drank all day and went to the bathroom normally. He will stand for a few minutes at a time and attempt to walk a few feet. We have had such a expense with the parvo, what would be causing these problems now.

Oh dear, I am sorry that you are going through this with Tank. Parvo is a nasty disease.

It is unusual though for a dog with parvo to have a relapse. Usually once the disease is cleared then they are fine.

I am wondering if there is a secondary problem. When a dog has parvo there is some damage done to the villi which are the parts of the intestine that absorb fluid. It is possible that he has an infection in his intestines now.

It is also possible that he has parasites such as giardia or coccidia. Dogs with one of these parasites need to be treated with prescription medication.

The fact that he is eating and drinking well is a really good sign but it sounds like he still does need to have another vet visit. Bring in a stool sample with you and your vet will check again for parasites. I would still do this even if he had a check with your initial visit as sometimes parasites can be hard to find.

I really hope he is ok!

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (13662 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (10141 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (7387 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (9186 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (36983 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (8810 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (14844 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (58860 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (16463 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5706 views)