Relapse of parvo?

Breed: Lab
We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it home. In the last two weeks we have made several visits to the vet and have managed to save him. We found him laying on the basement floor this morning surrounded by alot of poop whining unable to walk. He has ate and drank all day and went to the bathroom normally. He will stand for a few minutes at a time and attempt to walk a few feet. We have had such a expense with the parvo, what would be causing these problems now.

Oh dear, I am sorry that you are going through this with Tank. Parvo is a nasty disease.

It is unusual though for a dog with parvo to have a relapse. Usually once the disease is cleared then they are fine.

I am wondering if there is a secondary problem. When a dog has parvo there is some damage done to the villi which are the parts of the intestine that absorb fluid. It is possible that he has an infection in his intestines now.

It is also possible that he has parasites such as giardia or coccidia. Dogs with one of these parasites need to be treated with prescription medication.

The fact that he is eating and drinking well is a really good sign but it sounds like he still does need to have another vet visit. Bring in a stool sample with you and your vet will check again for parasites. I would still do this even if he had a check with your initial visit as sometimes parasites can be hard to find.

I really hope he is ok!

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (8546 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (18542 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (6497 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (8893 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (100598 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (20499 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (51808 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (15072 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (21661 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (20941 views)