Steroid shots for allergies.

Breed: Exotic Shorthair
Dr. Marie,

Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life, mostly on his face, with itching, black bumps. His vigorous scratching causes bleeding. He takes a shot of methyl prednisolone acetate (.5cc) every six months. Recently, his condition has been returning in three to four months. Is he building resistance? Do you think we can increase the dose without adversely affecting his immune system? ? Can we give him an interim pill to help extend effectiveness? Is there anything else we can/ should try to give him some relief?

Thank you

Sorry to hear that Cinder is having this problem.

I do have cats in my practice who get a steroid injection more frequently than every 6 months. The shot tends to last about 4-6 weeks in most cats.

One of the risks of giving the injection more frequently is that a cat can develop diabetes. This is quite rare - I have seen it happen twice in 11 years of practice. Your vet can go over the pros and cons with you.

Another option is to go with an oral steroid such as prednisone. Many cats with allergies can get away with taking a small dose every other day. At this dose side effects are quite rare.

You can also talk to your vet about feeding hypoallergenic foods.

I hope this information helps!

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (9030 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (68112 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (19422 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (117199 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (9067 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (8178 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (15254 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10680 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (40219 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (25523 views)