Steroid shots for allergies.

Breed: Exotic Shorthair
Dr. Marie,

Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life, mostly on his face, with itching, black bumps. His vigorous scratching causes bleeding. He takes a shot of methyl prednisolone acetate (.5cc) every six months. Recently, his condition has been returning in three to four months. Is he building resistance? Do you think we can increase the dose without adversely affecting his immune system? ? Can we give him an interim pill to help extend effectiveness? Is there anything else we can/ should try to give him some relief?

Thank you

Sorry to hear that Cinder is having this problem.

I do have cats in my practice who get a steroid injection more frequently than every 6 months. The shot tends to last about 4-6 weeks in most cats.

One of the risks of giving the injection more frequently is that a cat can develop diabetes. This is quite rare - I have seen it happen twice in 11 years of practice. Your vet can go over the pros and cons with you.

Another option is to go with an oral steroid such as prednisone. Many cats with allergies can get away with taking a small dose every other day. At this dose side effects are quite rare.

You can also talk to your vet about feeding hypoallergenic foods.

I hope this information helps!

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9617 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6537 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7840 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8313 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17186 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24800 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8570 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32471 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16100 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (57795 views)