Steroid shots for allergies.

Breed: Exotic Shorthair
Dr. Marie,

Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life, mostly on his face, with itching, black bumps. His vigorous scratching causes bleeding. He takes a shot of methyl prednisolone acetate (.5cc) every six months. Recently, his condition has been returning in three to four months. Is he building resistance? Do you think we can increase the dose without adversely affecting his immune system? ? Can we give him an interim pill to help extend effectiveness? Is there anything else we can/ should try to give him some relief?

Thank you

Sorry to hear that Cinder is having this problem.

I do have cats in my practice who get a steroid injection more frequently than every 6 months. The shot tends to last about 4-6 weeks in most cats.

One of the risks of giving the injection more frequently is that a cat can develop diabetes. This is quite rare - I have seen it happen twice in 11 years of practice. Your vet can go over the pros and cons with you.

Another option is to go with an oral steroid such as prednisone. Many cats with allergies can get away with taking a small dose every other day. At this dose side effects are quite rare.

You can also talk to your vet about feeding hypoallergenic foods.

I hope this information helps!

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9578 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6206 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7568 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (36738 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12729 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (6986 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17475 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (10016 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15138 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17000 views)