Steroid shots for allergies.

Breed: Exotic Shorthair
Dr. Marie,

Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life, mostly on his face, with itching, black bumps. His vigorous scratching causes bleeding. He takes a shot of methyl prednisolone acetate (.5cc) every six months. Recently, his condition has been returning in three to four months. Is he building resistance? Do you think we can increase the dose without adversely affecting his immune system? ? Can we give him an interim pill to help extend effectiveness? Is there anything else we can/ should try to give him some relief?

Thank you

Sorry to hear that Cinder is having this problem.

I do have cats in my practice who get a steroid injection more frequently than every 6 months. The shot tends to last about 4-6 weeks in most cats.

One of the risks of giving the injection more frequently is that a cat can develop diabetes. This is quite rare - I have seen it happen twice in 11 years of practice. Your vet can go over the pros and cons with you.

Another option is to go with an oral steroid such as prednisone. Many cats with allergies can get away with taking a small dose every other day. At this dose side effects are quite rare.

You can also talk to your vet about feeding hypoallergenic foods.

I hope this information helps!

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10605 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (50963 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (11463 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (20634 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (6563 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (12834 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (32333 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (10226 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8916 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15675 views)