Eating grass and vomiting.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last five days, he has shown symptoms of not being his usual self and more coughing than barking when his food comes.
The last couple nights, he has left his sleeping place in the home and gone into our bedroom where he knows I'll wake up and let him outside.
Something is wrong with his stomach, although I haven't monitored his stool. His appetite has not been affected as he is still thrilled at meal time (moring and night).
Tonight, he came out in the front yard (after dinner) and ate a bunch of grass from front yard, and 30 minutes later threw up on the back deck.
He is not lethargic, eats normal and has gone on our typical walks the last 3 days.In the past he has eaten our 4-year old son's socks and passed them threw his intestine and stool without any real problem. We don't know if he's eaten a piece of clothing, but we think not, since it's been 4-5 days and he's continued to go on walks and eat his regular foods.
Should we feed him something to test his system? Any ideas to test what may be wrong?
Kevin in California

Hi Kevin...thanks so much for your question. I'm very sorry about the delay. It was around midnight in my timezone when you posted and I was sleeping!

I think what we need to figure out is whether the issue is with the cough or with a stomach problem. This is a case where I really wish that I could examine him to give you more information. However, I can give you my thoughts.

If he is developing more of a cough it could be that he has picked up a viral cough such as kennel cough. Dogs who have kennel cough often sound like there is something stuck in the throat and they are trying to get it out. It can cause some stomach upset as well. If you think this is the case, most dogs get over it on their own within 3-14 days. I recommend seeing the vet if you are seeing a green nasal discharge or if his appetite is being affected or if the cough is really severe.

However, it is also possible that this is a stomach problem. Given that he has a history of eating socks, I would be concerned about a partial obstruction in his stomach. It's possible there is a sock in there that occasionally covers over the outflow to the intestines and causes vomiting. If this is the case, the real concern is if it moves into the intestines in which case he will be really sick and possibly need surgery. However, this shouldn't really cause a cough.

If the cough is a soft cough (as opposed to the 'something stuck in his throat' cough) then I am more concerned about an issue in his chest. If he is not on regular heartworm prevention it is possible that he has heartworm. This is treatable but can be quite expensive to treat. Another possibility is a fungal infection in his chest. Both of these can cause lethargy and vomiting.

And finally, it's possible that this is just a simple gastritis/enteritis meaning that he has a mild upset stomach/intestines. If this is the case I would expect some diarrhea. It also shouldn't cause coughing though. If it is enteritis most dogs recover within 24-48 hours. If you are noticing diarrhea you can consider fasting him for 24 hours and follow that with chicken and rice for a few days (which is bland for his intestines).

However, if the coughing is still present I am more concerned that this could be something serious and a vet visit would be a very good idea.

I hope he does ok! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (15748 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16774 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (18189 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12877 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (22116 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15734 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12933 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (8443 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (13683 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (41583 views)