Eating grass and vomiting.

Breed: Golden Retriever
Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last five days, he has shown symptoms of not being his usual self and more coughing than barking when his food comes.
The last couple nights, he has left his sleeping place in the home and gone into our bedroom where he knows I'll wake up and let him outside.
Something is wrong with his stomach, although I haven't monitored his stool. His appetite has not been affected as he is still thrilled at meal time (moring and night).
Tonight, he came out in the front yard (after dinner) and ate a bunch of grass from front yard, and 30 minutes later threw up on the back deck.
He is not lethargic, eats normal and has gone on our typical walks the last 3 days.In the past he has eaten our 4-year old son's socks and passed them threw his intestine and stool without any real problem. We don't know if he's eaten a piece of clothing, but we think not, since it's been 4-5 days and he's continued to go on walks and eat his regular foods.
Should we feed him something to test his system? Any ideas to test what may be wrong?
Kevin in California

Hi Kevin...thanks so much for your question. I'm very sorry about the delay. It was around midnight in my timezone when you posted and I was sleeping!

I think what we need to figure out is whether the issue is with the cough or with a stomach problem. This is a case where I really wish that I could examine him to give you more information. However, I can give you my thoughts.

If he is developing more of a cough it could be that he has picked up a viral cough such as kennel cough. Dogs who have kennel cough often sound like there is something stuck in the throat and they are trying to get it out. It can cause some stomach upset as well. If you think this is the case, most dogs get over it on their own within 3-14 days. I recommend seeing the vet if you are seeing a green nasal discharge or if his appetite is being affected or if the cough is really severe.

However, it is also possible that this is a stomach problem. Given that he has a history of eating socks, I would be concerned about a partial obstruction in his stomach. It's possible there is a sock in there that occasionally covers over the outflow to the intestines and causes vomiting. If this is the case, the real concern is if it moves into the intestines in which case he will be really sick and possibly need surgery. However, this shouldn't really cause a cough.

If the cough is a soft cough (as opposed to the 'something stuck in his throat' cough) then I am more concerned about an issue in his chest. If he is not on regular heartworm prevention it is possible that he has heartworm. This is treatable but can be quite expensive to treat. Another possibility is a fungal infection in his chest. Both of these can cause lethargy and vomiting.

And finally, it's possible that this is just a simple gastritis/enteritis meaning that he has a mild upset stomach/intestines. If this is the case I would expect some diarrhea. It also shouldn't cause coughing though. If it is enteritis most dogs recover within 24-48 hours. If you are noticing diarrhea you can consider fasting him for 24 hours and follow that with chicken and rice for a few days (which is bland for his intestines).

However, if the coughing is still present I am more concerned that this could be something serious and a vet visit would be a very good idea.

I hope he does ok! Let me know if you have more concerns!

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8483 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4380 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (160767 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55954 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6596 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9131 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6425 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (7700 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16311 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (26231 views)