Not putting weight on leg.

Breed: mut
Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When we touch his leg he pulls it back and meows or swatts at us. He can hobble around, but he doesn't really put much weight on it. He's overweight, but pretty active, at least until now. He did this last night and he spent more time than usual just sleeping today. Please tell me what to do!!! Should we take him to the vet?

Sorry to hear that Fluffy has a sore leg.

It's always hard to talk about lameness issues online.

It does concern me that Fluffy is not putting weight on the leg.

If this is just a soft tissue sprain or strain he really should be dramatically better in 24-48 hours.

But, from what you have described, because he is so sore, and so quiet it does sound like he should have a vet visit.

There are no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective to give to a cat for pain. Your vet can prescribe medication that will help. They may also want to take an xray to see if there is a fracture present.

I really hope everything is ok!

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (10882 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (7017 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21475 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14211 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6522 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (21723 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11516 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5904 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31341 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23993 views)