Not putting weight on leg.

Breed: mut
Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When we touch his leg he pulls it back and meows or swatts at us. He can hobble around, but he doesn't really put much weight on it. He's overweight, but pretty active, at least until now. He did this last night and he spent more time than usual just sleeping today. Please tell me what to do!!! Should we take him to the vet?

Sorry to hear that Fluffy has a sore leg.

It's always hard to talk about lameness issues online.

It does concern me that Fluffy is not putting weight on the leg.

If this is just a soft tissue sprain or strain he really should be dramatically better in 24-48 hours.

But, from what you have described, because he is so sore, and so quiet it does sound like he should have a vet visit.

There are no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective to give to a cat for pain. Your vet can prescribe medication that will help. They may also want to take an xray to see if there is a fracture present.

I really hope everything is ok!

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (64237 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (7122 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (25992 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (6147 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (15482 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10621 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6725 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (18352 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9889 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (12892 views)