Not putting weight on leg.

Breed: mut
Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When we touch his leg he pulls it back and meows or swatts at us. He can hobble around, but he doesn't really put much weight on it. He's overweight, but pretty active, at least until now. He did this last night and he spent more time than usual just sleeping today. Please tell me what to do!!! Should we take him to the vet?

Sorry to hear that Fluffy has a sore leg.

It's always hard to talk about lameness issues online.

It does concern me that Fluffy is not putting weight on the leg.

If this is just a soft tissue sprain or strain he really should be dramatically better in 24-48 hours.

But, from what you have described, because he is so sore, and so quiet it does sound like he should have a vet visit.

There are no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective to give to a cat for pain. Your vet can prescribe medication that will help. They may also want to take an xray to see if there is a fracture present.

I really hope everything is ok!

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12156 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (7712 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (11444 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15083 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (18994 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4622 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (19647 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (16657 views)

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (11509 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (11607 views)