Not putting weight on leg.

Breed: mut
Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When we touch his leg he pulls it back and meows or swatts at us. He can hobble around, but he doesn't really put much weight on it. He's overweight, but pretty active, at least until now. He did this last night and he spent more time than usual just sleeping today. Please tell me what to do!!! Should we take him to the vet?

Sorry to hear that Fluffy has a sore leg.

It's always hard to talk about lameness issues online.

It does concern me that Fluffy is not putting weight on the leg.

If this is just a soft tissue sprain or strain he really should be dramatically better in 24-48 hours.

But, from what you have described, because he is so sore, and so quiet it does sound like he should have a vet visit.

There are no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective to give to a cat for pain. Your vet can prescribe medication that will help. They may also want to take an xray to see if there is a fracture present.

I really hope everything is ok!

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (6131 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (46649 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6852 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (10134 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (18464 views)

Dog died after surgery. Last Monday our dog Ben began throwing up. He also stopped eating. It lessened on... (25402 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31574 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7671 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (24201 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (22778 views)