Not putting weight on leg.

Breed: mut
Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When we touch his leg he pulls it back and meows or swatts at us. He can hobble around, but he doesn't really put much weight on it. He's overweight, but pretty active, at least until now. He did this last night and he spent more time than usual just sleeping today. Please tell me what to do!!! Should we take him to the vet?

Sorry to hear that Fluffy has a sore leg.

It's always hard to talk about lameness issues online.

It does concern me that Fluffy is not putting weight on the leg.

If this is just a soft tissue sprain or strain he really should be dramatically better in 24-48 hours.

But, from what you have described, because he is so sore, and so quiet it does sound like he should have a vet visit.

There are no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective to give to a cat for pain. Your vet can prescribe medication that will help. They may also want to take an xray to see if there is a fracture present.

I really hope everything is ok!

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (11574 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (45550 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25182 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16754 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13012 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (18886 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40170 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10703 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7129 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (11649 views)