Not putting weight on leg.

Breed: mut
Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When we touch his leg he pulls it back and meows or swatts at us. He can hobble around, but he doesn't really put much weight on it. He's overweight, but pretty active, at least until now. He did this last night and he spent more time than usual just sleeping today. Please tell me what to do!!! Should we take him to the vet?

Sorry to hear that Fluffy has a sore leg.

It's always hard to talk about lameness issues online.

It does concern me that Fluffy is not putting weight on the leg.

If this is just a soft tissue sprain or strain he really should be dramatically better in 24-48 hours.

But, from what you have described, because he is so sore, and so quiet it does sound like he should have a vet visit.

There are no over the counter medicines that are safe and effective to give to a cat for pain. Your vet can prescribe medication that will help. They may also want to take an xray to see if there is a fracture present.

I really hope everything is ok!

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (38365 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (163339 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (9170 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (12318 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (12778 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (15304 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (9026 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7822 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (45255 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (26948 views)