See the vet for dog bite?

Breed: Schnauzer
Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed her and patted over the area with Watkins Burn Creme with 2.5% Lidocaine because the areas would cause her to wince when I handled her. She is quiet and staying in a corner and I had planned to cut the hair around the bites in the morning to be able to see the bites better.Should I bring her in for stiches or other treatment.The bleeding seems to have slowed down/stopped. Her hair is long so it is not easy to see the bites but I did manage a look and it seems as though one of the bites was through the first layer of skin and about 1 inch long.She is about 20 pounds and is a shnauzer-type terrier. She is in good health other than this incident.

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy was bitten by another dog. Those are always frightening situations.

I would definitely recommend having your vet look at Daisy. Often wounds can look not so bad on the surface but be very deep below. I've seen some dogs that looked like they had a minor puncture, but when thoroughly examined the wound extended very far and definitely needed stitches.

Also, even if this is just a minor surface wound, because it happened from a bite there is a high chance of infection even with local treatment. It is much much better to get Daisy on some oral antibiotics now rather than later. If we wait too long and it gets infected then you could have a serious surgery on your hands.

Your vet will have a good look at the wound and advise you on whether it needs to be stitched or whether antibiotics should be given.

I concur. On my way to the vet now with Daisy having been bathed and fur around wounds. Thank you Dr. Marie.

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14765 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (33234 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (14287 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (13195 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (21410 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (16314 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (15621 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (129626 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (17257 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50660 views)