See the vet for dog bite?

Breed: Schnauzer
Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed her and patted over the area with Watkins Burn Creme with 2.5% Lidocaine because the areas would cause her to wince when I handled her. She is quiet and staying in a corner and I had planned to cut the hair around the bites in the morning to be able to see the bites better.Should I bring her in for stiches or other treatment.The bleeding seems to have slowed down/stopped. Her hair is long so it is not easy to see the bites but I did manage a look and it seems as though one of the bites was through the first layer of skin and about 1 inch long.She is about 20 pounds and is a shnauzer-type terrier. She is in good health other than this incident.

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy was bitten by another dog. Those are always frightening situations.

I would definitely recommend having your vet look at Daisy. Often wounds can look not so bad on the surface but be very deep below. I've seen some dogs that looked like they had a minor puncture, but when thoroughly examined the wound extended very far and definitely needed stitches.

Also, even if this is just a minor surface wound, because it happened from a bite there is a high chance of infection even with local treatment. It is much much better to get Daisy on some oral antibiotics now rather than later. If we wait too long and it gets infected then you could have a serious surgery on your hands.

Your vet will have a good look at the wound and advise you on whether it needs to be stitched or whether antibiotics should be given.

I concur. On my way to the vet now with Daisy having been bathed and fur around wounds. Thank you Dr. Marie.

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (13103 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17725 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25591 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (17464 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (21481 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (6195 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5534 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (8069 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (33461 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9474 views)