See the vet for dog bite?

Breed: Schnauzer
Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed her and patted over the area with Watkins Burn Creme with 2.5% Lidocaine because the areas would cause her to wince when I handled her. She is quiet and staying in a corner and I had planned to cut the hair around the bites in the morning to be able to see the bites better.Should I bring her in for stiches or other treatment.The bleeding seems to have slowed down/stopped. Her hair is long so it is not easy to see the bites but I did manage a look and it seems as though one of the bites was through the first layer of skin and about 1 inch long.She is about 20 pounds and is a shnauzer-type terrier. She is in good health other than this incident.

I'm sorry to hear that Daisy was bitten by another dog. Those are always frightening situations.

I would definitely recommend having your vet look at Daisy. Often wounds can look not so bad on the surface but be very deep below. I've seen some dogs that looked like they had a minor puncture, but when thoroughly examined the wound extended very far and definitely needed stitches.

Also, even if this is just a minor surface wound, because it happened from a bite there is a high chance of infection even with local treatment. It is much much better to get Daisy on some oral antibiotics now rather than later. If we wait too long and it gets infected then you could have a serious surgery on your hands.

Your vet will have a good look at the wound and advise you on whether it needs to be stitched or whether antibiotics should be given.

I concur. On my way to the vet now with Daisy having been bathed and fur around wounds. Thank you Dr. Marie.

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (6793 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (14774 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11469 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (15462 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (12085 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11582 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29158 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (59562 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13626 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (5075 views)