Scabs on cat's ears.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the vet three times for this (twice to the same vet and last month I went to a different one for a second opinion). No one knows what the spots are. They have ruled out parasites. Both vets treated her with a steroid and antibiotic. The spots did clear up (the first time for several months) but they came back. The second time the spots were back within two weeks. She eats good quality (grain free) food. Any ideas? I do have a picture I can send if you want. Thank you!

Sorry to hear that Chloe has these mystery spots.

The most common reason that I have seen for a cat to get spots on their ears is some type of allergy. And, quite often, we don't find the cause of the allergy. If you live in an area with mosquitos it could be a mosquito bite hypersensitivity which is essentially an allergy to mosquito bites. But there are many, many other things that can cause an allergy as well. While a food allergy is possible this is actually not all that common.

Allergies often will get better with steroids, so this could be an explanation.

It's also possible that this is an autoimmune condition like pemphigus. Again, steroids can often help. But pemphigus can get to the point where regular doses of steroids are not strong enough and stronger doses may be necessary.

A strong possibility is that this is a type of an eosinophilic plaque which really is a type of allergy but we don't really know what causes it. These are usually treated with steroids but it's not uncommon for a cat to need more steroids a few weeks after the first dose is given.

The problem here is that at this point there is no simple test that will give you an answer. The best thing that you could have done is to ask your vet about having a biopsy done. This is where they take some skin and send it to a pathologist to find out what the cause is.

I do see several conditions like this in cats that do require a small dose of steroids given either daily or every other day long term.

I hope things are better soon!

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (20704 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (38592 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (11772 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (12919 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (12563 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (14969 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (14122 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (9645 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (11386 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (20970 views)