Scabs on cat's ears.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the vet three times for this (twice to the same vet and last month I went to a different one for a second opinion). No one knows what the spots are. They have ruled out parasites. Both vets treated her with a steroid and antibiotic. The spots did clear up (the first time for several months) but they came back. The second time the spots were back within two weeks. She eats good quality (grain free) food. Any ideas? I do have a picture I can send if you want. Thank you!

Sorry to hear that Chloe has these mystery spots.

The most common reason that I have seen for a cat to get spots on their ears is some type of allergy. And, quite often, we don't find the cause of the allergy. If you live in an area with mosquitos it could be a mosquito bite hypersensitivity which is essentially an allergy to mosquito bites. But there are many, many other things that can cause an allergy as well. While a food allergy is possible this is actually not all that common.

Allergies often will get better with steroids, so this could be an explanation.

It's also possible that this is an autoimmune condition like pemphigus. Again, steroids can often help. But pemphigus can get to the point where regular doses of steroids are not strong enough and stronger doses may be necessary.

A strong possibility is that this is a type of an eosinophilic plaque which really is a type of allergy but we don't really know what causes it. These are usually treated with steroids but it's not uncommon for a cat to need more steroids a few weeks after the first dose is given.

The problem here is that at this point there is no simple test that will give you an answer. The best thing that you could have done is to ask your vet about having a biopsy done. This is where they take some skin and send it to a pathologist to find out what the cause is.

I do see several conditions like this in cats that do require a small dose of steroids given either daily or every other day long term.

I hope things are better soon!

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14467 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (12289 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7793 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (18011 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (6258 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9881 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9853 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (5156 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9668 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3626 views)