Dogs, cats and bio-oil.

Breed: Border Collie and Ca
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I have been using it to reduce the appearance of scars and I am wondering if this product would be harmful to either my dog or my cat if they were to lick the treated areas during the night or lick the clothing I wore when I treated myself (I keep the bottle locked away, so there's no chance of them ingesting a large amount). They're very licky animals :o) Here is a list of the ingredients:

Calendula Oil
Lavender Oil
Rosemary Oil
Chamomile Oil
Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Oil base
Mineral Oil
Triisononanoin
Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate
Isopropyl Myristate
Glycine Soja Oil
Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil
BHT
Bisabolol
Fragrance (Rose)
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
Amyl Cinnamal
Benzyl Salicylate
Citronellol
Coumarin
Eugenol
Farnesol
Geraniol
Hydroxycitronellal
Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde
Limonene
Linalool
Color (Orange)
D&C Red No.17 (CI 26100)

Sorry for the long list--I just have no idea if I should avoid using this product or not.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Blessings,
Julie

Well this is an interesting question!

I did a search for these ingredients and found out a few things:

-Rosemary oil can be very irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, but only in large amounts.

-Chamomile oil can cause some mild intestinal upset.

-I am not completely certain, but I believe that Benzyl Salicylate is closely related to aspirin and it is not a good idea for cats to ingest significant amounts of any aspirin like products.

-Coumarin ingestion in decent amounts can make it hard to clot blood and therefore lead to bleeding issues.

-Limonene can be very toxic if ingested (but again usually has to be in large amounts). In large amounts, if it gets on the skin of a cat or dog it can be very irritating.

So, does this mean that Bio-Oil is not safe to have around your pets? In my opinion, it is very unlikely that your dog or cat would get sick from licking your skin that had had Bio-Oil applied. I definitely wouldn't worry about them licking your clothing. The amount of the above ingredients that would be ingested would be very minimal.

I definitely wouldn't use this product directly on a cat or a dog. But, I think the amount of product that would be ingested by the occasional lick of your skin from a cat or dog would be extremely small.

If I were you, I would try really hard not to let the pets lick you within 30-60 minutes of applying the product. After that time, the majority of the ingredients will be absorbed and the amount that could be ingested by one of your pets licking you really should be insignificant.

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (268958 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (11518 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (32951 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (8526 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (6263 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5481 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (6120 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8706 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (8181 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (92412 views)