New hamster tips.

Breed: white winter hamster
Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago my mom gave my hamster a chew sick and she got sick but we didnt know. my mom picked him up and he bit her through the finger,nail,and bone. how can i prevent it from happining again?how do i kknow if the hamster is sick?what chew stick would you prefer for white winter hamsters and food and other things?

Congrats on getting a new hamster!

Hamsters definitely can bite and the bite can be quite severe. Here is some advice I have given in the past on hamsters biting:

Why is my hamster biting me?
Aggressive hamster.

I don't usually recommend commercial chew sticks for hamsters. I don't like toys where large chunks can be broken off as these chunks can cause an obstruction. Hamsters love to chew on carboard and this is unlikely to hurt them. So, you can offer paper towel tubes or egg crates.

I hope you have fun with your new little guy!

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (74409 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (11657 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (42286 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (124981 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7718 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (11603 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (12966 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (54217 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7009 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (27953 views)