New hamster tips.

Breed: white winter hamster
Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago my mom gave my hamster a chew sick and she got sick but we didnt know. my mom picked him up and he bit her through the finger,nail,and bone. how can i prevent it from happining again?how do i kknow if the hamster is sick?what chew stick would you prefer for white winter hamsters and food and other things?

Congrats on getting a new hamster!

Hamsters definitely can bite and the bite can be quite severe. Here is some advice I have given in the past on hamsters biting:

Why is my hamster biting me?
Aggressive hamster.

I don't usually recommend commercial chew sticks for hamsters. I don't like toys where large chunks can be broken off as these chunks can cause an obstruction. Hamsters love to chew on carboard and this is unlikely to hurt them. So, you can offer paper towel tubes or egg crates.

I hope you have fun with your new little guy!

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (25308 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (9393 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (13311 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (8427 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (7206 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (71414 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8834 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7868 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (12474 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8846 views)