New hamster tips.

Breed: white winter hamster
Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago my mom gave my hamster a chew sick and she got sick but we didnt know. my mom picked him up and he bit her through the finger,nail,and bone. how can i prevent it from happining again?how do i kknow if the hamster is sick?what chew stick would you prefer for white winter hamsters and food and other things?

Congrats on getting a new hamster!

Hamsters definitely can bite and the bite can be quite severe. Here is some advice I have given in the past on hamsters biting:

Why is my hamster biting me?
Aggressive hamster.

I don't usually recommend commercial chew sticks for hamsters. I don't like toys where large chunks can be broken off as these chunks can cause an obstruction. Hamsters love to chew on carboard and this is unlikely to hurt them. So, you can offer paper towel tubes or egg crates.

I hope you have fun with your new little guy!

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (44113 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10306 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7737 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10335 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (18798 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (25684 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9222 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29062 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39994 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (10983 views)