New hamster tips.

Breed: white winter hamster
Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago my mom gave my hamster a chew sick and she got sick but we didnt know. my mom picked him up and he bit her through the finger,nail,and bone. how can i prevent it from happining again?how do i kknow if the hamster is sick?what chew stick would you prefer for white winter hamsters and food and other things?

Congrats on getting a new hamster!

Hamsters definitely can bite and the bite can be quite severe. Here is some advice I have given in the past on hamsters biting:

Why is my hamster biting me?
Aggressive hamster.

I don't usually recommend commercial chew sticks for hamsters. I don't like toys where large chunks can be broken off as these chunks can cause an obstruction. Hamsters love to chew on carboard and this is unlikely to hurt them. So, you can offer paper towel tubes or egg crates.

I hope you have fun with your new little guy!

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (15537 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (13963 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (17636 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (8537 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (39280 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (15042 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (13981 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (7016 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (8267 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (7941 views)