New hamster tips.

Breed: white winter hamster
Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago my mom gave my hamster a chew sick and she got sick but we didnt know. my mom picked him up and he bit her through the finger,nail,and bone. how can i prevent it from happining again?how do i kknow if the hamster is sick?what chew stick would you prefer for white winter hamsters and food and other things?

Congrats on getting a new hamster!

Hamsters definitely can bite and the bite can be quite severe. Here is some advice I have given in the past on hamsters biting:

Why is my hamster biting me?
Aggressive hamster.

I don't usually recommend commercial chew sticks for hamsters. I don't like toys where large chunks can be broken off as these chunks can cause an obstruction. Hamsters love to chew on carboard and this is unlikely to hurt them. So, you can offer paper towel tubes or egg crates.

I hope you have fun with your new little guy!

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (4982 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33573 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15810 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5779 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6375 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15697 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (29077 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (29249 views)

Vomiting after eating. my pet vomits after eating since 20 days with brownish in color,faeces is loose with... (8696 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (16669 views)