Itchy rash near backside

Breed: chihuahua
My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been biting at the areas until it bleeds, what could be causing this? What can I give her for the itching??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bella.

If she has a rash that is really itchy then it is likely an area that is infected. It is quite common for dogs to get skin infections. Unfortunately if this is the case it will not go away without antibiotics prescribed by the vet. The vet can also prescribe a small dose of steroids if necessary for the itch.

Some infections can be something called a hot spot. These are really bothersome infections. They need to be treated right away as they can often spread and become quite extensive.

If the area is on her backside just above her tail then I would consider an allergy to fleas. If you think this is the case, then a prescription strength flea medication is best. Your vet may still need to prescribe medications to help with itch and infection as well.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to treat this at home but it is likely something that needs to be treated by a vet. I would advise a visit soon. The longer we wait, if there is infection, the worse it will get and then you will need a longer course of antibiotics.

Over the counter creams do not tend to work well for this type of problem.

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (15771 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10345 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (9455 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (7915 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (40469 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (19920 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9808 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (8037 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12905 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (52486 views)