Itchy rash near backside

Breed: chihuahua
My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been biting at the areas until it bleeds, what could be causing this? What can I give her for the itching??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bella.

If she has a rash that is really itchy then it is likely an area that is infected. It is quite common for dogs to get skin infections. Unfortunately if this is the case it will not go away without antibiotics prescribed by the vet. The vet can also prescribe a small dose of steroids if necessary for the itch.

Some infections can be something called a hot spot. These are really bothersome infections. They need to be treated right away as they can often spread and become quite extensive.

If the area is on her backside just above her tail then I would consider an allergy to fleas. If you think this is the case, then a prescription strength flea medication is best. Your vet may still need to prescribe medications to help with itch and infection as well.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to treat this at home but it is likely something that needs to be treated by a vet. I would advise a visit soon. The longer we wait, if there is infection, the worse it will get and then you will need a longer course of antibiotics.

Over the counter creams do not tend to work well for this type of problem.

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7003 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7808 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11887 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (50092 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (19185 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23600 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (17936 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (27793 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (18640 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (51373 views)