Itchy rash near backside

Breed: chihuahua
My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been biting at the areas until it bleeds, what could be causing this? What can I give her for the itching??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bella.

If she has a rash that is really itchy then it is likely an area that is infected. It is quite common for dogs to get skin infections. Unfortunately if this is the case it will not go away without antibiotics prescribed by the vet. The vet can also prescribe a small dose of steroids if necessary for the itch.

Some infections can be something called a hot spot. These are really bothersome infections. They need to be treated right away as they can often spread and become quite extensive.

If the area is on her backside just above her tail then I would consider an allergy to fleas. If you think this is the case, then a prescription strength flea medication is best. Your vet may still need to prescribe medications to help with itch and infection as well.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to treat this at home but it is likely something that needs to be treated by a vet. I would advise a visit soon. The longer we wait, if there is infection, the worse it will get and then you will need a longer course of antibiotics.

Over the counter creams do not tend to work well for this type of problem.

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (17156 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (14045 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (15402 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (14859 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (34426 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (35635 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (12901 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (10172 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (16559 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (89280 views)