Itchy rash near backside

Breed: chihuahua
My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been biting at the areas until it bleeds, what could be causing this? What can I give her for the itching??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bella.

If she has a rash that is really itchy then it is likely an area that is infected. It is quite common for dogs to get skin infections. Unfortunately if this is the case it will not go away without antibiotics prescribed by the vet. The vet can also prescribe a small dose of steroids if necessary for the itch.

Some infections can be something called a hot spot. These are really bothersome infections. They need to be treated right away as they can often spread and become quite extensive.

If the area is on her backside just above her tail then I would consider an allergy to fleas. If you think this is the case, then a prescription strength flea medication is best. Your vet may still need to prescribe medications to help with itch and infection as well.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to treat this at home but it is likely something that needs to be treated by a vet. I would advise a visit soon. The longer we wait, if there is infection, the worse it will get and then you will need a longer course of antibiotics.

Over the counter creams do not tend to work well for this type of problem.

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (21017 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (13368 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (6696 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (15429 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (8966 views)

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (34830 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (9332 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7027 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17030 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (4588 views)