Itchy rash near backside

Breed: chihuahua
My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been biting at the areas until it bleeds, what could be causing this? What can I give her for the itching??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bella.

If she has a rash that is really itchy then it is likely an area that is infected. It is quite common for dogs to get skin infections. Unfortunately if this is the case it will not go away without antibiotics prescribed by the vet. The vet can also prescribe a small dose of steroids if necessary for the itch.

Some infections can be something called a hot spot. These are really bothersome infections. They need to be treated right away as they can often spread and become quite extensive.

If the area is on her backside just above her tail then I would consider an allergy to fleas. If you think this is the case, then a prescription strength flea medication is best. Your vet may still need to prescribe medications to help with itch and infection as well.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to treat this at home but it is likely something that needs to be treated by a vet. I would advise a visit soon. The longer we wait, if there is infection, the worse it will get and then you will need a longer course of antibiotics.

Over the counter creams do not tend to work well for this type of problem.

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (11892 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (18158 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (15372 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12238 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (40362 views)

Cat ate A&D cream. Four days ago Salem licked some A&D cream. I called poison control and they there... (19306 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (9929 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (77188 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6700 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (80444 views)