Itchy rash near backside

Breed: chihuahua
My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been biting at the areas until it bleeds, what could be causing this? What can I give her for the itching??

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bella.

If she has a rash that is really itchy then it is likely an area that is infected. It is quite common for dogs to get skin infections. Unfortunately if this is the case it will not go away without antibiotics prescribed by the vet. The vet can also prescribe a small dose of steroids if necessary for the itch.

Some infections can be something called a hot spot. These are really bothersome infections. They need to be treated right away as they can often spread and become quite extensive.

If the area is on her backside just above her tail then I would consider an allergy to fleas. If you think this is the case, then a prescription strength flea medication is best. Your vet may still need to prescribe medications to help with itch and infection as well.

I wish I could give you some advice on how to treat this at home but it is likely something that needs to be treated by a vet. I would advise a visit soon. The longer we wait, if there is infection, the worse it will get and then you will need a longer course of antibiotics.

Over the counter creams do not tend to work well for this type of problem.

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (8977 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (9447 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (15200 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10425 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (18241 views)

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (14288 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (8065 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (21236 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12327 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (20176 views)