Interview tips for veterinary technicians.

Breed: Fox Terrier
I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would you give to a newly graduated veterinary technician to get hired in a veterinary clinic when faced with competing candidates.

Hey, that's a great question! Congrats on your new career! Did you see the article I just wrote about veterinary technicians?

I have been involved in hiring a lot of vet techs and other veterinary staff. I would say that the MOST important thing I have found when I am doing an interview is that I feel that the person has a good attitude and will get along well with my staff. Don't be afraid to joke around a little and talk about non work related things like a movie you just saw or the Oscars or something like that.

A big turn off for me is when a potential job candidate speaks poorly of their previous clinic or employer. Even if you've had a bad experience, try to honor any previous employers and other vet clinics. My thought is that if they speak badly of them, they will likely speak poorly of me one day. It also makes me think that there is a possibility that the candidate has issues with authority.

This may seem whacky, but something *I* would do if I were in your shoes is to show up with a bunch of cupcakes. I would put a sign on the container saying, "Suck Up Cupcakes". If it came down to deciding between you and someone else, if you've brought cupcakes for the staff that could actually make the difference.

Then, there are common sense things like make sure that you dress nicely. I am amazed at how many people come to a job interview with ripped jeans and a t-shirt. If you wear piercings in unusual places, remove them. A job interview is not a place to make a statement.

If you are in the waiting room and there are clients there, then interact with them and their pets. I want to see a vet tech who loves interacting with people and will make my clients happy. I've met a few who are great with animals but terrified of talking with people.

Another thing you can do is do some research on the clinic. It's great to say to the manager things like, "So you guys have been in business 15 years now. That's great!", or, "I saw that your clinic just gave $2000 to the ABC fund!"...and then research to find out what the ABC fund is about.

You want to make sure that you have good references, hopefully from veterinary sources. If you don't, then if you're having trouble getting a job it may be worthwhile to volunteer at the animal shelter or something similar.

As far as knowledge goes, if you are a new grad, don't be worried that you don't know everything. I don't expect that in a new grad. But I want to see a willingness to learn. If you get a working interview where you get to work for a day and you have to put a catheter in a kitten and can't get it, don't worry. What I want to see is that you can handle the pressure ok and don't get stressed and freak out.

Hopefully those tips help. This has been an interesting question. I will likely write an article soon about the topic!

Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your extensive reply. Can I use your answer on my website the VetTechGuide.org, with a link or no link if you prefer back to your site?

Glad you liked it. :) I just recently published some information about sharing stuff from my site: Sharing info from AskAVetQuestion.com. If you have questions, let me know.

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7386 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10017 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11501 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (10728 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (18008 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (12953 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (16657 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26828 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (40666 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (162080 views)