Interview tips for veterinary technicians.

Breed: Fox Terrier
I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would you give to a newly graduated veterinary technician to get hired in a veterinary clinic when faced with competing candidates.

Hey, that's a great question! Congrats on your new career! Did you see the article I just wrote about veterinary technicians?

I have been involved in hiring a lot of vet techs and other veterinary staff. I would say that the MOST important thing I have found when I am doing an interview is that I feel that the person has a good attitude and will get along well with my staff. Don't be afraid to joke around a little and talk about non work related things like a movie you just saw or the Oscars or something like that.

A big turn off for me is when a potential job candidate speaks poorly of their previous clinic or employer. Even if you've had a bad experience, try to honor any previous employers and other vet clinics. My thought is that if they speak badly of them, they will likely speak poorly of me one day. It also makes me think that there is a possibility that the candidate has issues with authority.

This may seem whacky, but something *I* would do if I were in your shoes is to show up with a bunch of cupcakes. I would put a sign on the container saying, "Suck Up Cupcakes". If it came down to deciding between you and someone else, if you've brought cupcakes for the staff that could actually make the difference.

Then, there are common sense things like make sure that you dress nicely. I am amazed at how many people come to a job interview with ripped jeans and a t-shirt. If you wear piercings in unusual places, remove them. A job interview is not a place to make a statement.

If you are in the waiting room and there are clients there, then interact with them and their pets. I want to see a vet tech who loves interacting with people and will make my clients happy. I've met a few who are great with animals but terrified of talking with people.

Another thing you can do is do some research on the clinic. It's great to say to the manager things like, "So you guys have been in business 15 years now. That's great!", or, "I saw that your clinic just gave $2000 to the ABC fund!"...and then research to find out what the ABC fund is about.

You want to make sure that you have good references, hopefully from veterinary sources. If you don't, then if you're having trouble getting a job it may be worthwhile to volunteer at the animal shelter or something similar.

As far as knowledge goes, if you are a new grad, don't be worried that you don't know everything. I don't expect that in a new grad. But I want to see a willingness to learn. If you get a working interview where you get to work for a day and you have to put a catheter in a kitten and can't get it, don't worry. What I want to see is that you can handle the pressure ok and don't get stressed and freak out.

Hopefully those tips help. This has been an interesting question. I will likely write an article soon about the topic!

Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your extensive reply. Can I use your answer on my website the VetTechGuide.org, with a link or no link if you prefer back to your site?

Glad you liked it. :) I just recently published some information about sharing stuff from my site: Sharing info from AskAVetQuestion.com. If you have questions, let me know.

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (13966 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (21926 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (13299 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (14920 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (19398 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (10737 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (7486 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (24196 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (8161 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (17707 views)