Cat straining and in pain.

Breed: Siamese
Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if she needed to have a bowel movement but could not. However, she did pass a tiny amount of diarreah. She was not in her litter box but in our living area. She is flexing as if she is straining to have a movement. Today, she seems worse and is only laying in her bed, still flexing while laying down. She will not eat or drink and growls when I pet her as if she may be in pain. I lost my job and cannot really afford a vet bill. Given her age, is there anything that can be done for her?

Oh dear, it sounds like Sassy is really uncomfortable.

I have seen many older cats that have issues with either constipation or diarrhea that can cause straining but have not seen a cat have this level of discomfort all of a sudden like this.

I am concerned that there may be a serious issue such as an intestinal blockage. In a cat of this age, I would be worried about a tumor blocking her intestines.

It is possible that a vet could help her with an enema. This is not something I would attempt at home though.

It's also possible that she has some sudden back pain. Some cats will get a condition called lumbosacral syndrom which can cause pain when they try to poop. But it really shouldn't cause her to be flexing like you are describing.

Is there any way you could have at least an exam done? The vet may be able to tell if there is a tumor in her abdomen just by feeling her abdomen. Or, they may be able to do a rectal exam and see if they can remove any hard stool.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything I can recommend for you to do at home.

There is unfortunately not likely to be a simple condition that can be fixed easily. We may have to be making some hard decisions about her quality of life soon.

I really hope she improves!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I will call our vet to see if I can get her in. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Feel free to come back to this page and let me know how things went.

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (26827 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (34848 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (8264 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (15448 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (132124 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (38373 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9971 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (12585 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (22611 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (18825 views)