Cat straining and in pain.

Breed: Siamese
Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if she needed to have a bowel movement but could not. However, she did pass a tiny amount of diarreah. She was not in her litter box but in our living area. She is flexing as if she is straining to have a movement. Today, she seems worse and is only laying in her bed, still flexing while laying down. She will not eat or drink and growls when I pet her as if she may be in pain. I lost my job and cannot really afford a vet bill. Given her age, is there anything that can be done for her?

Oh dear, it sounds like Sassy is really uncomfortable.

I have seen many older cats that have issues with either constipation or diarrhea that can cause straining but have not seen a cat have this level of discomfort all of a sudden like this.

I am concerned that there may be a serious issue such as an intestinal blockage. In a cat of this age, I would be worried about a tumor blocking her intestines.

It is possible that a vet could help her with an enema. This is not something I would attempt at home though.

It's also possible that she has some sudden back pain. Some cats will get a condition called lumbosacral syndrom which can cause pain when they try to poop. But it really shouldn't cause her to be flexing like you are describing.

Is there any way you could have at least an exam done? The vet may be able to tell if there is a tumor in her abdomen just by feeling her abdomen. Or, they may be able to do a rectal exam and see if they can remove any hard stool.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything I can recommend for you to do at home.

There is unfortunately not likely to be a simple condition that can be fixed easily. We may have to be making some hard decisions about her quality of life soon.

I really hope she improves!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I will call our vet to see if I can get her in. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Feel free to come back to this page and let me know how things went.

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (13006 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (10560 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (20413 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (9793 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (7604 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (11153 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (10280 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5466 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (6634 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (14860 views)