Cat straining and in pain.

Breed: Siamese
Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if she needed to have a bowel movement but could not. However, she did pass a tiny amount of diarreah. She was not in her litter box but in our living area. She is flexing as if she is straining to have a movement. Today, she seems worse and is only laying in her bed, still flexing while laying down. She will not eat or drink and growls when I pet her as if she may be in pain. I lost my job and cannot really afford a vet bill. Given her age, is there anything that can be done for her?

Oh dear, it sounds like Sassy is really uncomfortable.

I have seen many older cats that have issues with either constipation or diarrhea that can cause straining but have not seen a cat have this level of discomfort all of a sudden like this.

I am concerned that there may be a serious issue such as an intestinal blockage. In a cat of this age, I would be worried about a tumor blocking her intestines.

It is possible that a vet could help her with an enema. This is not something I would attempt at home though.

It's also possible that she has some sudden back pain. Some cats will get a condition called lumbosacral syndrom which can cause pain when they try to poop. But it really shouldn't cause her to be flexing like you are describing.

Is there any way you could have at least an exam done? The vet may be able to tell if there is a tumor in her abdomen just by feeling her abdomen. Or, they may be able to do a rectal exam and see if they can remove any hard stool.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything I can recommend for you to do at home.

There is unfortunately not likely to be a simple condition that can be fixed easily. We may have to be making some hard decisions about her quality of life soon.

I really hope she improves!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I will call our vet to see if I can get her in. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Feel free to come back to this page and let me know how things went.

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (11785 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (6474 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (13991 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (11273 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (10514 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (7504 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (3960 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (7284 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (56242 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (6699 views)