Cat straining and in pain.

Breed: Siamese
Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if she needed to have a bowel movement but could not. However, she did pass a tiny amount of diarreah. She was not in her litter box but in our living area. She is flexing as if she is straining to have a movement. Today, she seems worse and is only laying in her bed, still flexing while laying down. She will not eat or drink and growls when I pet her as if she may be in pain. I lost my job and cannot really afford a vet bill. Given her age, is there anything that can be done for her?

Oh dear, it sounds like Sassy is really uncomfortable.

I have seen many older cats that have issues with either constipation or diarrhea that can cause straining but have not seen a cat have this level of discomfort all of a sudden like this.

I am concerned that there may be a serious issue such as an intestinal blockage. In a cat of this age, I would be worried about a tumor blocking her intestines.

It is possible that a vet could help her with an enema. This is not something I would attempt at home though.

It's also possible that she has some sudden back pain. Some cats will get a condition called lumbosacral syndrom which can cause pain when they try to poop. But it really shouldn't cause her to be flexing like you are describing.

Is there any way you could have at least an exam done? The vet may be able to tell if there is a tumor in her abdomen just by feeling her abdomen. Or, they may be able to do a rectal exam and see if they can remove any hard stool.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything I can recommend for you to do at home.

There is unfortunately not likely to be a simple condition that can be fixed easily. We may have to be making some hard decisions about her quality of life soon.

I really hope she improves!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I will call our vet to see if I can get her in. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Feel free to come back to this page and let me know how things went.

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (23061 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (13203 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6612 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17717 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10158 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (19424 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (19136 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10355 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13697 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (15095 views)