Cat straining and in pain.

Breed: Siamese
Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if she needed to have a bowel movement but could not. However, she did pass a tiny amount of diarreah. She was not in her litter box but in our living area. She is flexing as if she is straining to have a movement. Today, she seems worse and is only laying in her bed, still flexing while laying down. She will not eat or drink and growls when I pet her as if she may be in pain. I lost my job and cannot really afford a vet bill. Given her age, is there anything that can be done for her?

Oh dear, it sounds like Sassy is really uncomfortable.

I have seen many older cats that have issues with either constipation or diarrhea that can cause straining but have not seen a cat have this level of discomfort all of a sudden like this.

I am concerned that there may be a serious issue such as an intestinal blockage. In a cat of this age, I would be worried about a tumor blocking her intestines.

It is possible that a vet could help her with an enema. This is not something I would attempt at home though.

It's also possible that she has some sudden back pain. Some cats will get a condition called lumbosacral syndrom which can cause pain when they try to poop. But it really shouldn't cause her to be flexing like you are describing.

Is there any way you could have at least an exam done? The vet may be able to tell if there is a tumor in her abdomen just by feeling her abdomen. Or, they may be able to do a rectal exam and see if they can remove any hard stool.

Unfortunately there really isn't anything I can recommend for you to do at home.

There is unfortunately not likely to be a simple condition that can be fixed easily. We may have to be making some hard decisions about her quality of life soon.

I really hope she improves!

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time. I will call our vet to see if I can get her in. Thanks again.

You're very welcome. Feel free to come back to this page and let me know how things went.

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (22518 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (4564 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (4207 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (16911 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (53401 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (11665 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (50569 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (15252 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (28576 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (13682 views)