Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate moldy corn.

Species: Dog
Breed: standard Poodle
Age: 3-6 months
My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a can in the garbage. Is she in danger? What should I do. It happened about one hour ago. I am not sure how much she ate, if any at all. She just had the can. If she did eat some it was a small amount, not more than an ounce or 2 at the very most.

Thank you,
Vicki

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Is corn bad for dogs?
Can dogs eat corn?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi and thanks for your question. It always amazes me that dogs will eat stuff like this!

The vast majority of the time when a dog gets into a small amount of moldy food I don't get too worried. Most likely nothing will happen. Or, it is possible that there will be some mild stomach upset which results in a small amount of vomiting or diarrhea.

There are different types of molds and some can, however, cause some unusual symptoms.

Some dogs after ingesting mold can have neurological symptoms like tremors, shaking and vomiting. These tremors can last for a couple of days. They are usually treated with emergency vet care, although they are not usually life threatening.

Another concern is for pancreatitis or gastritis which can cause vomiting as well. This is a concern whenever a dog has eaten something unusual. If Josie vomits once or twice I am not concerned. But, if she is really depressed and vomiting a lot then she may need to see the vet.

Sometimes when a dog has ingested something that could be harmful I will advise to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. However, there are risks associated with this as well (although rare). Seeing as Josie ate this an hour ago, likely most of the corn is digested by now.

It's not a bad idea to give her some Pepcid AC which you can buy at the pharmacy. The dose is .25mg per pound and it comes in a 10mg size. So, if Josie was 10 lbs she would have 1/4 tablet.

I would also advise no more food for tonight. If she seems lethargic or doesn't want to eat in the morning then I would take her in to see your vet. Or, if she does develop tremors (which is quite unlikely) then she may need an emergency visit tonight.

I hope all is well!

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Dr. Marie,
Thank you for the quick response and the information. I appreciate it. I will be watching Josie. I just wanted to know if I should locate an emergency vet service tonight, but for now I will just watch her.

Vicki


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! Tell Josie to stay out of trouble!!!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Dr. Marie,

Sorry, it's Vicki again. You suggested Pepsid. We had none and it is after 10 PM here. The only open store only had Pepsid Complete which has more drugs in it than plain Pepsid. Should I give her some or just go without?

Ingredients listed: Famotidine 10mg
Calcium carbonate 800mg
Magnesium hydroxide 165mg

So far she seems herself, it's been a couple of hours since she ate it.

Thanks again.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry that I was not online when you replied.

It's likely too late now, but yes, the Pepcid complete is ok to give to dogs.

Hopefully she is feeling ok this morning!



Customer reply:

Dr. Marie,

I didn't give her the Pepsid Complete, but it's good to know I can if I ever ned to. Thank you. I did nothing and she has been fine, good appetite, normal stools this AM. So, I guess however much she ate of garbage, we are ok. I am so grateful that she seems ok.

Thanks again.

Vicki & Josie


Customer reply:

Dr. Marie,

I didn't give her the Pepsid Complete, but it's good to know I can if I ever ned to. Thank you. I did nothing and she has been fine, good appetite, normal stools this AM. So, I guess however much she ate of garbage, we are ok. I am so grateful that she seems ok.

Thanks again.

Vicki & Josie


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Yay! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear she is doing well.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (5827 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (19823 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (5257 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (3812 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (7943 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (15035 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (7791 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (3029 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (31811 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (31533 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.