Megacolon.

Breed:
my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2 times daily. we have tried pumpkin but he won't eat it. we have changed his cat food to hills prescription diet w/d low fat-diabetic-gastrointestinal. we have taken him to the vet about every few months now it is like every few weeks. would the surgery really help him? are there any vets that do freebees? is it better to put them to sleep?
is there anything else we can do or try?
thanks for any help you can give me.

kathie

Poor little Elvis...Megacolon is really not fun to deal with.

You may want to ask your vet about a newer prescription food that is available called VMD Feline Gastro (or Medi-Cal Feline Gastro). I have switched some of my constipated patients on to this food and have seen great results. Many of the patients have been able to come off of medication, or at least reduce their medicines.

Have you read my article on megacolon in cats?

The surgery for megacolon is difficult and often requires a specialist to do it. Most cats who have surgery do extremely well afterwards. But, yes, it is expensive. It would be extremely unlikely for you to find a vet who would do this for free or even for a reduced fee as it is a very labor intensive surgery.

I have had cats that have had to be put to sleep because treatments stopped working.

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8886 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (12671 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (8023 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (16345 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (5075 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (9748 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (6883 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (8683 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (16333 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (6679 views)