Megacolon.

Breed:
my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2 times daily. we have tried pumpkin but he won't eat it. we have changed his cat food to hills prescription diet w/d low fat-diabetic-gastrointestinal. we have taken him to the vet about every few months now it is like every few weeks. would the surgery really help him? are there any vets that do freebees? is it better to put them to sleep?
is there anything else we can do or try?
thanks for any help you can give me.

kathie

Poor little Elvis...Megacolon is really not fun to deal with.

You may want to ask your vet about a newer prescription food that is available called VMD Feline Gastro (or Medi-Cal Feline Gastro). I have switched some of my constipated patients on to this food and have seen great results. Many of the patients have been able to come off of medication, or at least reduce their medicines.

Have you read my article on megacolon in cats?

The surgery for megacolon is difficult and often requires a specialist to do it. Most cats who have surgery do extremely well afterwards. But, yes, it is expensive. It would be extremely unlikely for you to find a vet who would do this for free or even for a reduced fee as it is a very labor intensive surgery.

I have had cats that have had to be put to sleep because treatments stopped working.

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (2857 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (15693 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (3814 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (17642 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (8822 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (7767 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (8461 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (3008 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (2551 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (23066 views)