Megacolon.

Breed:
my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2 times daily. we have tried pumpkin but he won't eat it. we have changed his cat food to hills prescription diet w/d low fat-diabetic-gastrointestinal. we have taken him to the vet about every few months now it is like every few weeks. would the surgery really help him? are there any vets that do freebees? is it better to put them to sleep?
is there anything else we can do or try?
thanks for any help you can give me.

kathie

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Poor little Elvis...Megacolon is really not fun to deal with.

You may want to ask your vet about a newer prescription food that is available called VMD Feline Gastro (or Medi-Cal Feline Gastro). I have switched some of my constipated patients on to this food and have seen great results. Many of the patients have been able to come off of medication, or at least reduce their medicines.

Have you read my article on megacolon in cats?

The surgery for megacolon is difficult and often requires a specialist to do it. Most cats who have surgery do extremely well afterwards. But, yes, it is expensive. It would be extremely unlikely for you to find a vet who would do this for free or even for a reduced fee as it is a very labor intensive surgery.

I have had cats that have had to be put to sleep because treatments stopped working.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (8947 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (3910 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (6032 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (4357 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (6433 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (6132 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (26131 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (11517 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (8953 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (3407 views)