Megacolon.

Breed:
my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2 times daily. we have tried pumpkin but he won't eat it. we have changed his cat food to hills prescription diet w/d low fat-diabetic-gastrointestinal. we have taken him to the vet about every few months now it is like every few weeks. would the surgery really help him? are there any vets that do freebees? is it better to put them to sleep?
is there anything else we can do or try?
thanks for any help you can give me.

kathie

Poor little Elvis...Megacolon is really not fun to deal with.

You may want to ask your vet about a newer prescription food that is available called VMD Feline Gastro (or Medi-Cal Feline Gastro). I have switched some of my constipated patients on to this food and have seen great results. Many of the patients have been able to come off of medication, or at least reduce their medicines.

Have you read my article on megacolon in cats?

The surgery for megacolon is difficult and often requires a specialist to do it. Most cats who have surgery do extremely well afterwards. But, yes, it is expensive. It would be extremely unlikely for you to find a vet who would do this for free or even for a reduced fee as it is a very labor intensive surgery.

I have had cats that have had to be put to sleep because treatments stopped working.

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (7828 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (10098 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (11793 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (8910 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (10203 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (3246 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (6133 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (8166 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (10839 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (16658 views)