Megacolon.

Breed:
my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2 times daily. we have tried pumpkin but he won't eat it. we have changed his cat food to hills prescription diet w/d low fat-diabetic-gastrointestinal. we have taken him to the vet about every few months now it is like every few weeks. would the surgery really help him? are there any vets that do freebees? is it better to put them to sleep?
is there anything else we can do or try?
thanks for any help you can give me.

kathie

Poor little Elvis...Megacolon is really not fun to deal with.

You may want to ask your vet about a newer prescription food that is available called VMD Feline Gastro (or Medi-Cal Feline Gastro). I have switched some of my constipated patients on to this food and have seen great results. Many of the patients have been able to come off of medication, or at least reduce their medicines.

Have you read my article on megacolon in cats?

The surgery for megacolon is difficult and often requires a specialist to do it. Most cats who have surgery do extremely well afterwards. But, yes, it is expensive. It would be extremely unlikely for you to find a vet who would do this for free or even for a reduced fee as it is a very labor intensive surgery.

I have had cats that have had to be put to sleep because treatments stopped working.

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7489 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14097 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12618 views)

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (5949 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (23057 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8774 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6506 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (9841 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15957 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9152 views)