Dog is drooling.

Breed: Beagle
My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him out.

Hi Doug...First of all, some dogs will drool in response to nausea. It is possible that he has gotten into something or eaten something that has made him a little nauseous. If it is due to nausea, it may help to give him some pepcid (famotidine). Ideally, you should do this on the advice of your vet, but it is generally a safe medicine so you can read about it here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Next, some dogs will have excessive drooling as a reaction to some over the counter flea products. If you do use such products you may want to see if it is coincidental with their use.

It is also possible that your dog has eaten something that tastes absolutely horrible such as certain insects or toads from the garden. If this is the case then the drooling will last anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours.

Another possibility is that there is a tooth infection present. If the drooling has not gone away in 24 hours then a vet visit is probably a good idea.

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11428 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10979 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (118535 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41810 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (14160 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10842 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (35695 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (13222 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (7407 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9462 views)