Brown bugs over top of tail.

Breed: domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:
I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF BODY NEAR TAIL, SHE ALSO LOST HAIR AT THAT PORTION OF BODY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF BUG POSSIBLY? ATICK, FLY OR SOMETHING ELSE? IT WAS MOVING ALSO? WHAT TREATMENT SHOULD I TRY.

THANKS
PREM

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Thanks for your question Prem.

The most common thing that can cause hair loss in this area is fleas. Likely that is the bug that you saw. Fleas are around 1-2mm long and are either black or brown.

I highly recommend using a prescription product to get rid of fleas. Pet store flea products do not work well.

The products I recommend are:

Be sure that you use the product monthly for at least 3 months. And, all animals in the house need to be treated.

Cipro problems? When I was on vacation, my dog borded at my vet. My dad visited and gave him a large... (12437 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5687 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6967 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (10053 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (7132 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (23899 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (15169 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (15774 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (16636 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (6203 views)