Brown bugs over top of tail.

Breed: domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:
I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF BODY NEAR TAIL, SHE ALSO LOST HAIR AT THAT PORTION OF BODY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF BUG POSSIBLY? ATICK, FLY OR SOMETHING ELSE? IT WAS MOVING ALSO? WHAT TREATMENT SHOULD I TRY.

THANKS
PREM

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Thanks for your question Prem.

The most common thing that can cause hair loss in this area is fleas. Likely that is the bug that you saw. Fleas are around 1-2mm long and are either black or brown.

I highly recommend using a prescription product to get rid of fleas. Pet store flea products do not work well.

The products I recommend are:

Be sure that you use the product monthly for at least 3 months. And, all animals in the house need to be treated.

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (22430 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5582 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (31858 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5168 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (13782 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (22307 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (60635 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (10509 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11506 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (171580 views)