Brown bugs over top of tail.

Breed: domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:
I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF BODY NEAR TAIL, SHE ALSO LOST HAIR AT THAT PORTION OF BODY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF BUG POSSIBLY? ATICK, FLY OR SOMETHING ELSE? IT WAS MOVING ALSO? WHAT TREATMENT SHOULD I TRY.

THANKS
PREM

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Thanks for your question Prem.

The most common thing that can cause hair loss in this area is fleas. Likely that is the bug that you saw. Fleas are around 1-2mm long and are either black or brown.

I highly recommend using a prescription product to get rid of fleas. Pet store flea products do not work well.

The products I recommend are:

Be sure that you use the product monthly for at least 3 months. And, all animals in the house need to be treated.

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (33569 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (20436 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (29980 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (32285 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (7551 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (12591 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (12657 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (7746 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (11775 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (188548 views)