Brown bugs over top of tail.

Breed: domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:
I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF BODY NEAR TAIL, SHE ALSO LOST HAIR AT THAT PORTION OF BODY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF BUG POSSIBLY? ATICK, FLY OR SOMETHING ELSE? IT WAS MOVING ALSO? WHAT TREATMENT SHOULD I TRY.

THANKS
PREM

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Thanks for your question Prem.

The most common thing that can cause hair loss in this area is fleas. Likely that is the bug that you saw. Fleas are around 1-2mm long and are either black or brown.

I highly recommend using a prescription product to get rid of fleas. Pet store flea products do not work well.

The products I recommend are:

Be sure that you use the product monthly for at least 3 months. And, all animals in the house need to be treated.

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12628 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (9777 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13692 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (55788 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7652 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (41064 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (76595 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11557 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (7500 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11179 views)