Brown bugs over top of tail.

Breed: domestic
Dear Dr. Marie:
I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF BODY NEAR TAIL, SHE ALSO LOST HAIR AT THAT PORTION OF BODY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF BUG POSSIBLY? ATICK, FLY OR SOMETHING ELSE? IT WAS MOVING ALSO? WHAT TREATMENT SHOULD I TRY.

THANKS
PREM

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Thanks for your question Prem.

The most common thing that can cause hair loss in this area is fleas. Likely that is the bug that you saw. Fleas are around 1-2mm long and are either black or brown.

I highly recommend using a prescription product to get rid of fleas. Pet store flea products do not work well.

The products I recommend are:

Be sure that you use the product monthly for at least 3 months. And, all animals in the house need to be treated.

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8095 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6871 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7168 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13923 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (14116 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7269 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7771 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5254 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (12620 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11552 views)