Urinating in the house.

Breed: Bichon frise
I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is house trained, however, in the last 6 months or so he keeps marking inside. He has been neutered. He doesn't not drink alot so I am not worried about diabetes. He will go outside, pee, then come back in and go mark somewhere. In fact, many spots. I don't know what to do anymore, I have tried all products from odour remover to repellant and nothing is working. I have to crate him during the day now, and don't even trust him loose when I am around. Any suggestions? I am sure it is an emotional/anxiety thing. Can dogs be treated for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Sophie-Anne

This is a case where I would highly recommend having your vet do some urine tests for your dog. It is not common for a neutered dog who was formerly housebroken to suddenly start urinating in the house. If he was not neutered, then we could blame it on hormones. For example, if there was a female in heat in the neighbourhood then this could cause him to urine mark. But, this is not going to happen for a neutered dog.

There is a really high chance that this is a medical issue. Something that is relatively common in bichons is bladder stones and crystals. A dog with a bladder stone or urinary crystals will have irritation in their bladder from time to time that feels like a bladder infection. This causes the urge to urinate frequently.

Bladder stones are treatable. Some can be treated with special food and some need surgery. They can be very serious as well. If a bladder stone gets to just the right size then it can block up the penis and can be life threatening.

It is also possible that this is a chronic bladder infection in which case antibiotics would be necessary.

If your vet does urine tests and everything is normal (which would surprise me), then we are looking at a behavioral issue. Treating this may involve some periods of crate training and yes, possibly some anti-anxiety medications. But, I would definitely not go that route until urinary tests are done to rule out a medical problem.

Hope things clear up soon!

I went to the vet and did urine analysis. $160 later, there is nothing physically wrong with the dog. Seems it is behaviour problem.

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9183 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (23679 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12884 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10994 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7370 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14701 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (15242 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (13267 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11954 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (12242 views)