Urinating in the house.

Breed: Bichon frise
I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is house trained, however, in the last 6 months or so he keeps marking inside. He has been neutered. He doesn't not drink alot so I am not worried about diabetes. He will go outside, pee, then come back in and go mark somewhere. In fact, many spots. I don't know what to do anymore, I have tried all products from odour remover to repellant and nothing is working. I have to crate him during the day now, and don't even trust him loose when I am around. Any suggestions? I am sure it is an emotional/anxiety thing. Can dogs be treated for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me!

Sophie-Anne

This is a case where I would highly recommend having your vet do some urine tests for your dog. It is not common for a neutered dog who was formerly housebroken to suddenly start urinating in the house. If he was not neutered, then we could blame it on hormones. For example, if there was a female in heat in the neighbourhood then this could cause him to urine mark. But, this is not going to happen for a neutered dog.

There is a really high chance that this is a medical issue. Something that is relatively common in bichons is bladder stones and crystals. A dog with a bladder stone or urinary crystals will have irritation in their bladder from time to time that feels like a bladder infection. This causes the urge to urinate frequently.

Bladder stones are treatable. Some can be treated with special food and some need surgery. They can be very serious as well. If a bladder stone gets to just the right size then it can block up the penis and can be life threatening.

It is also possible that this is a chronic bladder infection in which case antibiotics would be necessary.

If your vet does urine tests and everything is normal (which would surprise me), then we are looking at a behavioral issue. Treating this may involve some periods of crate training and yes, possibly some anti-anxiety medications. But, I would definitely not go that route until urinary tests are done to rule out a medical problem.

Hope things clear up soon!

I went to the vet and did urine analysis. $160 later, there is nothing physically wrong with the dog. Seems it is behaviour problem.

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7667 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6911 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (6907 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (16413 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (28537 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13136 views)

Eye closed in hamster. My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with... (29785 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7621 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9290 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11029 views)