Diarrhea with mucus.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull penis.
Well I managed to find a supply of ones that are really thick and covered in sinew and fat about half the width of a broom stick. On Friday or Saturday Max ate about 7" or them and for the next couple of days he had a bit of diahrea and was straining.

Begining Sunday night, this morning and tonight's dinner I have fed him only boiled rice.

Tonight's poo was pretty hard except the last 1-2" was a bit mushy but was covered in a brown mucous (as you'd find from colon upset).

HIs activity level is high, appetite very good, no vomiting, no sign of blood in stool.

Should I continue on the rice for a few days or take him in? Is the mucous a sign to take him in or a side effect of GI upset?

Jay

Ah, poor Max.

Do you know if Max is allergic to beef at all? If so, then the bullwinkle sticks could certainly set off his allergies.

Regardless, as long as he's not still eating them he should be better within a couple of days.

Your plan is a good one. I usually recommend feeding boiled rice and boiled chicken for 1-2 days and then gradually adding in his regular food.

The fact that he wants to eat and is still a happy boy is excellent.

The mucus is a sign of an irritated colon...nothing to get too worried about.

It sounds like you are doing the right things.

This may have even happened on Thursday night. I can't remember. That makes it 4 days already.

He's done well on beef/rice before so it may not be an allergy but from last year he does seem sensitive to high fat diets. I'm guessing this load of fat, protein and sinew just set things off.

He didn't strain tonight (even though the last bit of poo was mushy).

Thanks. I will try what you recommend. Another day of rice/chicken then gradually add his food back.

Is the fact the last 1-2" is mushy significant at this point?

I think the fact that he is improving is the most important thing. It may take Max a bit longer than other dogs because he has known intestinal issues.

I'm not worried if the stools are still a little soft. As long as he continues to recover and is happy when that's good.

Sounds good.

Thanks.

Jay

Today Max's poo was hard as a rock and no mucous. What a difference a day or two makes.

You saved me a trip to the vet. Thanks.

By the way are you considering a way to search for your own messages here. It can be useful if you want to look back to see if and when something had occurred in the past and how it was resolved. Perhaps search based upon email address?

(perhaps I'm too anal?)

Jay

Yay! Glad to hear about hard poo. :)

I like the search idea.

I do have a search function in the top right corner that would work for now. If you put Jay and Max into the box you'll see your questions. However, you'll get the publicly displayed answers as opposed to the one where you can leave a reply.

I do have some plans in store for a bunch of changes to the site...but, I'm not sure if you know I am expecting a baby any day now so things are a little hectic!

Oh my God congatulations to you. Best wishes for a happy and healthy baby.

You must post pictures online.

I will! Thanks!

Here is something you may be interested in for your patients with food sensitivities.

Recall Max had loose stools on the ZD Ultra.

I switched him to Blue Buffalo Turkey/Potato. Its 24% protein, only 10% fat, 5% fibre.
Very limited ingredients. Turkey is the main ingredient, no byproducts.
No corn, wheat, soy, eggs, milk products.
Small pieces.

Despite the fact he's had a hard time with many foods in the past he's doing extremely well on it and its literally half the price at $70/bag from Petsmart.

How is the baby?

Hi Jay,

We are doing well.
I'm glad to hear that the new food is working well for Max.

Now just imagine what giving birth to 8 babies would be like. :)

Take care

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (7894 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9198 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19781 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9655 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (16268 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12116 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29143 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (9941 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (24564 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10420 views)