Diarrhea with mucus.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull penis.
Well I managed to find a supply of ones that are really thick and covered in sinew and fat about half the width of a broom stick. On Friday or Saturday Max ate about 7" or them and for the next couple of days he had a bit of diahrea and was straining.

Begining Sunday night, this morning and tonight's dinner I have fed him only boiled rice.

Tonight's poo was pretty hard except the last 1-2" was a bit mushy but was covered in a brown mucous (as you'd find from colon upset).

HIs activity level is high, appetite very good, no vomiting, no sign of blood in stool.

Should I continue on the rice for a few days or take him in? Is the mucous a sign to take him in or a side effect of GI upset?

Jay

Ah, poor Max.

Do you know if Max is allergic to beef at all? If so, then the bullwinkle sticks could certainly set off his allergies.

Regardless, as long as he's not still eating them he should be better within a couple of days.

Your plan is a good one. I usually recommend feeding boiled rice and boiled chicken for 1-2 days and then gradually adding in his regular food.

The fact that he wants to eat and is still a happy boy is excellent.

The mucus is a sign of an irritated colon...nothing to get too worried about.

It sounds like you are doing the right things.

This may have even happened on Thursday night. I can't remember. That makes it 4 days already.

He's done well on beef/rice before so it may not be an allergy but from last year he does seem sensitive to high fat diets. I'm guessing this load of fat, protein and sinew just set things off.

He didn't strain tonight (even though the last bit of poo was mushy).

Thanks. I will try what you recommend. Another day of rice/chicken then gradually add his food back.

Is the fact the last 1-2" is mushy significant at this point?

I think the fact that he is improving is the most important thing. It may take Max a bit longer than other dogs because he has known intestinal issues.

I'm not worried if the stools are still a little soft. As long as he continues to recover and is happy when that's good.

Sounds good.

Thanks.

Jay

Today Max's poo was hard as a rock and no mucous. What a difference a day or two makes.

You saved me a trip to the vet. Thanks.

By the way are you considering a way to search for your own messages here. It can be useful if you want to look back to see if and when something had occurred in the past and how it was resolved. Perhaps search based upon email address?

(perhaps I'm too anal?)

Jay

Yay! Glad to hear about hard poo. :)

I like the search idea.

I do have a search function in the top right corner that would work for now. If you put Jay and Max into the box you'll see your questions. However, you'll get the publicly displayed answers as opposed to the one where you can leave a reply.

I do have some plans in store for a bunch of changes to the site...but, I'm not sure if you know I am expecting a baby any day now so things are a little hectic!

Oh my God congatulations to you. Best wishes for a happy and healthy baby.

You must post pictures online.

I will! Thanks!

Here is something you may be interested in for your patients with food sensitivities.

Recall Max had loose stools on the ZD Ultra.

I switched him to Blue Buffalo Turkey/Potato. Its 24% protein, only 10% fat, 5% fibre.
Very limited ingredients. Turkey is the main ingredient, no byproducts.
No corn, wheat, soy, eggs, milk products.
Small pieces.

Despite the fact he's had a hard time with many foods in the past he's doing extremely well on it and its literally half the price at $70/bag from Petsmart.

How is the baby?

Hi Jay,

We are doing well.
I'm glad to hear that the new food is working well for Max.

Now just imagine what giving birth to 8 babies would be like. :)

Take care

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5436 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5794 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (17068 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (4369 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (297622 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (7954 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11140 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6317 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5775 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (4997 views)