Diarrhea with mucus.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull penis.
Well I managed to find a supply of ones that are really thick and covered in sinew and fat about half the width of a broom stick. On Friday or Saturday Max ate about 7" or them and for the next couple of days he had a bit of diahrea and was straining.

Begining Sunday night, this morning and tonight's dinner I have fed him only boiled rice.

Tonight's poo was pretty hard except the last 1-2" was a bit mushy but was covered in a brown mucous (as you'd find from colon upset).

HIs activity level is high, appetite very good, no vomiting, no sign of blood in stool.

Should I continue on the rice for a few days or take him in? Is the mucous a sign to take him in or a side effect of GI upset?

Jay

Ah, poor Max.

Do you know if Max is allergic to beef at all? If so, then the bullwinkle sticks could certainly set off his allergies.

Regardless, as long as he's not still eating them he should be better within a couple of days.

Your plan is a good one. I usually recommend feeding boiled rice and boiled chicken for 1-2 days and then gradually adding in his regular food.

The fact that he wants to eat and is still a happy boy is excellent.

The mucus is a sign of an irritated colon...nothing to get too worried about.

It sounds like you are doing the right things.

This may have even happened on Thursday night. I can't remember. That makes it 4 days already.

He's done well on beef/rice before so it may not be an allergy but from last year he does seem sensitive to high fat diets. I'm guessing this load of fat, protein and sinew just set things off.

He didn't strain tonight (even though the last bit of poo was mushy).

Thanks. I will try what you recommend. Another day of rice/chicken then gradually add his food back.

Is the fact the last 1-2" is mushy significant at this point?

I think the fact that he is improving is the most important thing. It may take Max a bit longer than other dogs because he has known intestinal issues.

I'm not worried if the stools are still a little soft. As long as he continues to recover and is happy when that's good.

Sounds good.

Thanks.

Jay

Today Max's poo was hard as a rock and no mucous. What a difference a day or two makes.

You saved me a trip to the vet. Thanks.

By the way are you considering a way to search for your own messages here. It can be useful if you want to look back to see if and when something had occurred in the past and how it was resolved. Perhaps search based upon email address?

(perhaps I'm too anal?)

Jay

Yay! Glad to hear about hard poo. :)

I like the search idea.

I do have a search function in the top right corner that would work for now. If you put Jay and Max into the box you'll see your questions. However, you'll get the publicly displayed answers as opposed to the one where you can leave a reply.

I do have some plans in store for a bunch of changes to the site...but, I'm not sure if you know I am expecting a baby any day now so things are a little hectic!

Oh my God congatulations to you. Best wishes for a happy and healthy baby.

You must post pictures online.

I will! Thanks!

Here is something you may be interested in for your patients with food sensitivities.

Recall Max had loose stools on the ZD Ultra.

I switched him to Blue Buffalo Turkey/Potato. Its 24% protein, only 10% fat, 5% fibre.
Very limited ingredients. Turkey is the main ingredient, no byproducts.
No corn, wheat, soy, eggs, milk products.
Small pieces.

Despite the fact he's had a hard time with many foods in the past he's doing extremely well on it and its literally half the price at $70/bag from Petsmart.

How is the baby?

Hi Jay,

We are doing well.
I'm glad to hear that the new food is working well for Max.

Now just imagine what giving birth to 8 babies would be like. :)

Take care

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14573 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (15787 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19073 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (84249 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11507 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (5086 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (22908 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (11227 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (47985 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (124513 views)