Is dog's paw broken?

Breed: beagle
Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any pressure on it. I gave him previcox (1/2 tablet as he is 42 pounds). My question how can I tell if it is broken or not. My husband says it's a strain. When I move his leg around or squeeze it, Chandler doesn't cry or anything. It will cost $300.00 to take him to the emergency animal hospital on a weekend and I am out of work so can you help Chandler and me, please. Thank you.
Lezlie

I'm sorry to hear that Chandler had an accident. Likely by now you have determined whether he is ok or not.

It is often hard to tell if a paw or bone in the leg is fractured. Usually there will be pain if you are squeezing the area. But, I have seen some very stoic animals that have a fractured limb and still don't show pain.

In a case like this I would generally say that if the dog is relatively happy and allowing you to feel the leg then it is ok to wait until the morning to see the vet. But, if by the morning he is still not putting significant weight on the leg then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Of course, if the dog was feeling really uncomfortable overnight and couldn't get settled then an emergency visit would have been in order.

I hope everything worked out ok!

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (8053 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (20183 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (19969 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (15373 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (19283 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (194031 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (18183 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14560 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (12135 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (8114 views)