Is dog's paw broken?

Breed: beagle
Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any pressure on it. I gave him previcox (1/2 tablet as he is 42 pounds). My question how can I tell if it is broken or not. My husband says it's a strain. When I move his leg around or squeeze it, Chandler doesn't cry or anything. It will cost $300.00 to take him to the emergency animal hospital on a weekend and I am out of work so can you help Chandler and me, please. Thank you.
Lezlie

I'm sorry to hear that Chandler had an accident. Likely by now you have determined whether he is ok or not.

It is often hard to tell if a paw or bone in the leg is fractured. Usually there will be pain if you are squeezing the area. But, I have seen some very stoic animals that have a fractured limb and still don't show pain.

In a case like this I would generally say that if the dog is relatively happy and allowing you to feel the leg then it is ok to wait until the morning to see the vet. But, if by the morning he is still not putting significant weight on the leg then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Of course, if the dog was feeling really uncomfortable overnight and couldn't get settled then an emergency visit would have been in order.

I hope everything worked out ok!

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4916 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10902 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10334 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24762 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8429 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11401 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25567 views)

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (17282 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10994 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5430 views)