Is dog's paw broken?

Breed: beagle
Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any pressure on it. I gave him previcox (1/2 tablet as he is 42 pounds). My question how can I tell if it is broken or not. My husband says it's a strain. When I move his leg around or squeeze it, Chandler doesn't cry or anything. It will cost $300.00 to take him to the emergency animal hospital on a weekend and I am out of work so can you help Chandler and me, please. Thank you.
Lezlie

I'm sorry to hear that Chandler had an accident. Likely by now you have determined whether he is ok or not.

It is often hard to tell if a paw or bone in the leg is fractured. Usually there will be pain if you are squeezing the area. But, I have seen some very stoic animals that have a fractured limb and still don't show pain.

In a case like this I would generally say that if the dog is relatively happy and allowing you to feel the leg then it is ok to wait until the morning to see the vet. But, if by the morning he is still not putting significant weight on the leg then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Of course, if the dog was feeling really uncomfortable overnight and couldn't get settled then an emergency visit would have been in order.

I hope everything worked out ok!

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (53440 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (12635 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33109 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (26219 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (14668 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (10578 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (15495 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (10469 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (47917 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (7921 views)