Is dog's paw broken?

Breed: beagle
Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any pressure on it. I gave him previcox (1/2 tablet as he is 42 pounds). My question how can I tell if it is broken or not. My husband says it's a strain. When I move his leg around or squeeze it, Chandler doesn't cry or anything. It will cost $300.00 to take him to the emergency animal hospital on a weekend and I am out of work so can you help Chandler and me, please. Thank you.
Lezlie

I'm sorry to hear that Chandler had an accident. Likely by now you have determined whether he is ok or not.

It is often hard to tell if a paw or bone in the leg is fractured. Usually there will be pain if you are squeezing the area. But, I have seen some very stoic animals that have a fractured limb and still don't show pain.

In a case like this I would generally say that if the dog is relatively happy and allowing you to feel the leg then it is ok to wait until the morning to see the vet. But, if by the morning he is still not putting significant weight on the leg then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Of course, if the dog was feeling really uncomfortable overnight and couldn't get settled then an emergency visit would have been in order.

I hope everything worked out ok!

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (11693 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (33982 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (39687 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (51175 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11020 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11259 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6450 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8316 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15288 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (29109 views)