Is dog's paw broken?

Breed: beagle
Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any pressure on it. I gave him previcox (1/2 tablet as he is 42 pounds). My question how can I tell if it is broken or not. My husband says it's a strain. When I move his leg around or squeeze it, Chandler doesn't cry or anything. It will cost $300.00 to take him to the emergency animal hospital on a weekend and I am out of work so can you help Chandler and me, please. Thank you.
Lezlie

I'm sorry to hear that Chandler had an accident. Likely by now you have determined whether he is ok or not.

It is often hard to tell if a paw or bone in the leg is fractured. Usually there will be pain if you are squeezing the area. But, I have seen some very stoic animals that have a fractured limb and still don't show pain.

In a case like this I would generally say that if the dog is relatively happy and allowing you to feel the leg then it is ok to wait until the morning to see the vet. But, if by the morning he is still not putting significant weight on the leg then a vet visit is definitely necessary.

Of course, if the dog was feeling really uncomfortable overnight and couldn't get settled then an emergency visit would have been in order.

I hope everything worked out ok!

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (25992 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (10869 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (15585 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (9967 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (14532 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (8195 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (8507 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (13671 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (10722 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (7224 views)