Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting.

Breed: Basset hound
my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently vomits. He had xrays and transtreacheal wash which showed nothing caught in his throat but clouding in his lungs whcih we are waiting results back on. Vet said he has LP which while he has lost weight and is more tired - he does not pant nor has his bark changed at all. he does drool alot more though.
Even if he has LP how would that be related to his eating grass vomitting routine. This has been going on about 2 weeks.

Hmmm...interesting. Laryngeal Paralysis can certainly cause coughing and gagging, but I can't directly tie it into eating grass and vomiting. If I had to make up a connection, here's a possibility: It's possible that the laryngeal paralysis has caused him to gulp at air (because he has to put so much extra effort into getting air into his lungs.) Dogs that gulp air can get a belly full of air and that can feel quite uncomfortable. As a result of the belly discomfort, they can want to vomit. Most dogs know that if they eat grass (or stuff like grass) then they may vomit and subsequently feel better.

Laryngeal paralysis is a tough condition to treat. The symptoms get very gradually worse and worse. We have some medicines that may help temporarily, but unfortunately don't cure the problem.

There is a surgery that can often fix laryngeal paralysis, but usually it needs to be done by a specialist and can be very expensive and have some risks as well.

Hopefully this answers your question. But, let me know if you have more concerns.

Isn't one of the major signs of LP panting - which he does not do

Yes, I would say that the majority of dogs that I have seen with laryngeal paralysis did have panting. But, it's possible that early in the disease, panting is not an issue. I have had some dogs with LP that are panting like crazy in my office, but the owners say that they don't pant at home. Or, some of these dogs only pant when they get very excited.

Did your vet do an exam where they give your dog a light anesthetic and then look at the larynx to see how well it is moving? It is usually relatively easy to diagnose laryngeal paralysis when this is done.

We usually can't diagnose LP by looking at xrays. However, if the vet feels that the xrays look unusual, another option you have is to ask your vet to send them to a radiologist to read. Chest xrays are often very difficult to accurately interpret.

Yes she did an LP exam and gave him a shot to make him breath deeply and the valve didn't move

This definitely sounds like laryngeal paralysis. Again, it may be in early stages at this point. If it is LP, then the symptoms will likely eventually get worse. It can be very gradual though. I have some patients who had LP for 1-2 years before it became very serious.

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (9180 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9934 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5783 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (49979 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (10621 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (15197 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (16595 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (11628 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (12835 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (12785 views)