Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting.

Breed: Basset hound
my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently vomits. He had xrays and transtreacheal wash which showed nothing caught in his throat but clouding in his lungs whcih we are waiting results back on. Vet said he has LP which while he has lost weight and is more tired - he does not pant nor has his bark changed at all. he does drool alot more though.
Even if he has LP how would that be related to his eating grass vomitting routine. This has been going on about 2 weeks.

Hmmm...interesting. Laryngeal Paralysis can certainly cause coughing and gagging, but I can't directly tie it into eating grass and vomiting. If I had to make up a connection, here's a possibility: It's possible that the laryngeal paralysis has caused him to gulp at air (because he has to put so much extra effort into getting air into his lungs.) Dogs that gulp air can get a belly full of air and that can feel quite uncomfortable. As a result of the belly discomfort, they can want to vomit. Most dogs know that if they eat grass (or stuff like grass) then they may vomit and subsequently feel better.

Laryngeal paralysis is a tough condition to treat. The symptoms get very gradually worse and worse. We have some medicines that may help temporarily, but unfortunately don't cure the problem.

There is a surgery that can often fix laryngeal paralysis, but usually it needs to be done by a specialist and can be very expensive and have some risks as well.

Hopefully this answers your question. But, let me know if you have more concerns.

Isn't one of the major signs of LP panting - which he does not do

Yes, I would say that the majority of dogs that I have seen with laryngeal paralysis did have panting. But, it's possible that early in the disease, panting is not an issue. I have had some dogs with LP that are panting like crazy in my office, but the owners say that they don't pant at home. Or, some of these dogs only pant when they get very excited.

Did your vet do an exam where they give your dog a light anesthetic and then look at the larynx to see how well it is moving? It is usually relatively easy to diagnose laryngeal paralysis when this is done.

We usually can't diagnose LP by looking at xrays. However, if the vet feels that the xrays look unusual, another option you have is to ask your vet to send them to a radiologist to read. Chest xrays are often very difficult to accurately interpret.

Yes she did an LP exam and gave him a shot to make him breath deeply and the valve didn't move

This definitely sounds like laryngeal paralysis. Again, it may be in early stages at this point. If it is LP, then the symptoms will likely eventually get worse. It can be very gradual though. I have some patients who had LP for 1-2 years before it became very serious.

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (13780 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (27566 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (8607 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8174 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (9264 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (34845 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (122031 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (63500 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (33720 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (250684 views)