Dog won't go downstairs.

Breed: Beagle Mix
He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change it or turn it off. Sorry about that.

My dog and I have been sleeping in the basement for about 6 months. He goes downstairs when I do. Then one day he was afraid to go downstairs. I had to nudge him down. That lasted for about 2 weeks. Then a few days ago, immediatly after that, he now always wants to go downstairs.

I've also noticed he does not want to go on the couch in the living room, which he always wanted to do, even when encouraged to. Also when petting him before, he would always roll over or move around so you could rub his belly. While he still likes to be petted, he doesn't make any attempt to help you rub his belly.

These changes happened over night. Should I be worried?

While I can't say for sure without seeing Harley, I'm wondering if he has a sore back. Dogs with a sore back will usually be reluctant to do stairs and jump either up or down.

Sometimes back problems can come and go.

It sounds like he may have a mild form of intervertebral disc disease. While this usually goes away with time dogs do much better if they have some antiinflamatory medication prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that there is another source of pain in his body.

An online visit never is as good as an in person visit with your vet. So, this is a situation where I really think you should have your vet see Harley. If this is a back problem they do have the possibility of becoming serious.

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (23743 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (550559 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (25103 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (6225 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (10269 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11612 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (10417 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (15266 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (18951 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (60448 views)