Dog won't go downstairs.

Breed: Beagle Mix
He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change it or turn it off. Sorry about that.

My dog and I have been sleeping in the basement for about 6 months. He goes downstairs when I do. Then one day he was afraid to go downstairs. I had to nudge him down. That lasted for about 2 weeks. Then a few days ago, immediatly after that, he now always wants to go downstairs.

I've also noticed he does not want to go on the couch in the living room, which he always wanted to do, even when encouraged to. Also when petting him before, he would always roll over or move around so you could rub his belly. While he still likes to be petted, he doesn't make any attempt to help you rub his belly.

These changes happened over night. Should I be worried?

While I can't say for sure without seeing Harley, I'm wondering if he has a sore back. Dogs with a sore back will usually be reluctant to do stairs and jump either up or down.

Sometimes back problems can come and go.

It sounds like he may have a mild form of intervertebral disc disease. While this usually goes away with time dogs do much better if they have some antiinflamatory medication prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that there is another source of pain in his body.

An online visit never is as good as an in person visit with your vet. So, this is a situation where I really think you should have your vet see Harley. If this is a back problem they do have the possibility of becoming serious.

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (12040 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (9989 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (8724 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8395 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8449 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12711 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (14763 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16079 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (14975 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8583 views)