Dog won't go downstairs.

Breed: Beagle Mix
He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change it or turn it off. Sorry about that.

My dog and I have been sleeping in the basement for about 6 months. He goes downstairs when I do. Then one day he was afraid to go downstairs. I had to nudge him down. That lasted for about 2 weeks. Then a few days ago, immediatly after that, he now always wants to go downstairs.

I've also noticed he does not want to go on the couch in the living room, which he always wanted to do, even when encouraged to. Also when petting him before, he would always roll over or move around so you could rub his belly. While he still likes to be petted, he doesn't make any attempt to help you rub his belly.

These changes happened over night. Should I be worried?

While I can't say for sure without seeing Harley, I'm wondering if he has a sore back. Dogs with a sore back will usually be reluctant to do stairs and jump either up or down.

Sometimes back problems can come and go.

It sounds like he may have a mild form of intervertebral disc disease. While this usually goes away with time dogs do much better if they have some antiinflamatory medication prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that there is another source of pain in his body.

An online visit never is as good as an in person visit with your vet. So, this is a situation where I really think you should have your vet see Harley. If this is a back problem they do have the possibility of becoming serious.

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (7373 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15203 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (9051 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (68569 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13326 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (12834 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (10766 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4364 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (10833 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9399 views)