Dog won't go downstairs.

Breed: Beagle Mix
He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change it or turn it off. Sorry about that.

My dog and I have been sleeping in the basement for about 6 months. He goes downstairs when I do. Then one day he was afraid to go downstairs. I had to nudge him down. That lasted for about 2 weeks. Then a few days ago, immediatly after that, he now always wants to go downstairs.

I've also noticed he does not want to go on the couch in the living room, which he always wanted to do, even when encouraged to. Also when petting him before, he would always roll over or move around so you could rub his belly. While he still likes to be petted, he doesn't make any attempt to help you rub his belly.

These changes happened over night. Should I be worried?

While I can't say for sure without seeing Harley, I'm wondering if he has a sore back. Dogs with a sore back will usually be reluctant to do stairs and jump either up or down.

Sometimes back problems can come and go.

It sounds like he may have a mild form of intervertebral disc disease. While this usually goes away with time dogs do much better if they have some antiinflamatory medication prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that there is another source of pain in his body.

An online visit never is as good as an in person visit with your vet. So, this is a situation where I really think you should have your vet see Harley. If this is a back problem they do have the possibility of becoming serious.

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (7584 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10534 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (22390 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (13494 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (9769 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7782 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15863 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6909 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (7338 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (11840 views)