Dog won't go downstairs.

Breed: Beagle Mix
He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change it or turn it off. Sorry about that.

My dog and I have been sleeping in the basement for about 6 months. He goes downstairs when I do. Then one day he was afraid to go downstairs. I had to nudge him down. That lasted for about 2 weeks. Then a few days ago, immediatly after that, he now always wants to go downstairs.

I've also noticed he does not want to go on the couch in the living room, which he always wanted to do, even when encouraged to. Also when petting him before, he would always roll over or move around so you could rub his belly. While he still likes to be petted, he doesn't make any attempt to help you rub his belly.

These changes happened over night. Should I be worried?

While I can't say for sure without seeing Harley, I'm wondering if he has a sore back. Dogs with a sore back will usually be reluctant to do stairs and jump either up or down.

Sometimes back problems can come and go.

It sounds like he may have a mild form of intervertebral disc disease. While this usually goes away with time dogs do much better if they have some antiinflamatory medication prescribed by the vet.

It's also possible that there is another source of pain in his body.

An online visit never is as good as an in person visit with your vet. So, this is a situation where I really think you should have your vet see Harley. If this is a back problem they do have the possibility of becoming serious.

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (78120 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (8159 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11347 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8275 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (33461 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (12259 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6866 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (9154 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (52312 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (31606 views)