Getting new pup after parvo.

Breed: German Shep
We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that she was Parvo positive, unfortuanly she passed away 9 days after bringing her home. Sophie spent a full week in the vets care, she beat parvo but developed a scondary infection and died from that. Our family really wants to get another dog and are interested in getting another puppy. We have looked online and disinfected the house and have even sprayed the back yard with bleach (grass did not like it but we felt it was the proper thing to do to kill the virus). I guess what I am asking is at what age are most fully vaccinated against Parvo? And would it be safe to bring another puppy into the house? I would not want to go through the heart break of that again. Thank you so much for your time.

John

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a dog to parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to prevent another dog from getting parvo. Bleach is one of the best ways to kill the virus. Anywhere were the dog may have had diarrhea or vomit are the areas that we are concerned about.

Regarding vaccinations, there should be good protection against parvo within a few days of the second puppy vaccine. (Usually the first vaccine is given at around 6-8 weeks of age and the second one about a month later).

One other fact that may help: For some reason black and tan dogs seem to be more prone to parvo virus. We are not sure why. So, if you are thinking of getting another dog, you may want to consider avoiding a black and tan breed. With that being said, however, it sounds like you have done all of the right things to disinfect and likely any dog you get will be ok.

I hope all is well when you get your new pup!

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (14461 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (11747 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (19063 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (14038 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (14050 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7544 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (14947 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (16253 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33697 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (5918 views)