Getting new pup after parvo.

Breed: German Shep
We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that she was Parvo positive, unfortuanly she passed away 9 days after bringing her home. Sophie spent a full week in the vets care, she beat parvo but developed a scondary infection and died from that. Our family really wants to get another dog and are interested in getting another puppy. We have looked online and disinfected the house and have even sprayed the back yard with bleach (grass did not like it but we felt it was the proper thing to do to kill the virus). I guess what I am asking is at what age are most fully vaccinated against Parvo? And would it be safe to bring another puppy into the house? I would not want to go through the heart break of that again. Thank you so much for your time.

John

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a dog to parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to prevent another dog from getting parvo. Bleach is one of the best ways to kill the virus. Anywhere were the dog may have had diarrhea or vomit are the areas that we are concerned about.

Regarding vaccinations, there should be good protection against parvo within a few days of the second puppy vaccine. (Usually the first vaccine is given at around 6-8 weeks of age and the second one about a month later).

One other fact that may help: For some reason black and tan dogs seem to be more prone to parvo virus. We are not sure why. So, if you are thinking of getting another dog, you may want to consider avoiding a black and tan breed. With that being said, however, it sounds like you have done all of the right things to disinfect and likely any dog you get will be ok.

I hope all is well when you get your new pup!

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7130 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10369 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (7843 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10086 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10119 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (69326 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7009 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (6907 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (39873 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6817 views)