Getting new pup after parvo.

Breed: German Shep
We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that she was Parvo positive, unfortuanly she passed away 9 days after bringing her home. Sophie spent a full week in the vets care, she beat parvo but developed a scondary infection and died from that. Our family really wants to get another dog and are interested in getting another puppy. We have looked online and disinfected the house and have even sprayed the back yard with bleach (grass did not like it but we felt it was the proper thing to do to kill the virus). I guess what I am asking is at what age are most fully vaccinated against Parvo? And would it be safe to bring another puppy into the house? I would not want to go through the heart break of that again. Thank you so much for your time.

John

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a dog to parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to prevent another dog from getting parvo. Bleach is one of the best ways to kill the virus. Anywhere were the dog may have had diarrhea or vomit are the areas that we are concerned about.

Regarding vaccinations, there should be good protection against parvo within a few days of the second puppy vaccine. (Usually the first vaccine is given at around 6-8 weeks of age and the second one about a month later).

One other fact that may help: For some reason black and tan dogs seem to be more prone to parvo virus. We are not sure why. So, if you are thinking of getting another dog, you may want to consider avoiding a black and tan breed. With that being said, however, it sounds like you have done all of the right things to disinfect and likely any dog you get will be ok.

I hope all is well when you get your new pup!

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (17069 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (12480 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (12710 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (10269 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (7952 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (10875 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (19533 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (14550 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (30052 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (27665 views)