Getting new pup after parvo.

Breed: German Shep
We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that she was Parvo positive, unfortuanly she passed away 9 days after bringing her home. Sophie spent a full week in the vets care, she beat parvo but developed a scondary infection and died from that. Our family really wants to get another dog and are interested in getting another puppy. We have looked online and disinfected the house and have even sprayed the back yard with bleach (grass did not like it but we felt it was the proper thing to do to kill the virus). I guess what I am asking is at what age are most fully vaccinated against Parvo? And would it be safe to bring another puppy into the house? I would not want to go through the heart break of that again. Thank you so much for your time.

John

Oh, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of a dog to parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to prevent another dog from getting parvo. Bleach is one of the best ways to kill the virus. Anywhere were the dog may have had diarrhea or vomit are the areas that we are concerned about.

Regarding vaccinations, there should be good protection against parvo within a few days of the second puppy vaccine. (Usually the first vaccine is given at around 6-8 weeks of age and the second one about a month later).

One other fact that may help: For some reason black and tan dogs seem to be more prone to parvo virus. We are not sure why. So, if you are thinking of getting another dog, you may want to consider avoiding a black and tan breed. With that being said, however, it sounds like you have done all of the right things to disinfect and likely any dog you get will be ok.

I hope all is well when you get your new pup!

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17692 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32628 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (5044 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10506 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (16420 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (63996 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (20775 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (10399 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (8003 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9160 views)