Trouble breathing when drinking cold water.

Breed: Shi Tzu
My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is outside in the cold air, he starts heaving and gasping for air. This does not last very long, but it really bothers me. It has been going on for several months now, could not get an answer from my vet. Do you know what the problem is?
Thank you

Hi Barabara and thanks for your question! This is an odd situation. It will be hard for me to say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few things to think about.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a reverse sneeze? There are several You-tube videos on reverse sneezing so you can check that out and see if that is what he is doing. If so, there really is not a lot we can do for it but it is not anything serious.

It is also possible he has a problem with pain. It could be dental pain or it could be back pain. It may be if he is having sudden shots of pain that he stands still and pants. However, I don't think that is what you are describing.

If this were my case, I would likely be telling you that it is likely nothing serious but that it is not a bad idea to take some chest xrays to make sure that his heart is ok. It is not typical of heart disease, but some dogs with heart disease can have odd spasms of coughing/breathing at times.

I wish I could add more! It is definitely a strange case!

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (10643 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (64382 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (13057 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (50606 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (29427 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (15369 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (11419 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (20609 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (11615 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (15830 views)