Trouble breathing when drinking cold water.

Breed: Shi Tzu
My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is outside in the cold air, he starts heaving and gasping for air. This does not last very long, but it really bothers me. It has been going on for several months now, could not get an answer from my vet. Do you know what the problem is?
Thank you

Hi Barabara and thanks for your question! This is an odd situation. It will be hard for me to say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few things to think about.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a reverse sneeze? There are several You-tube videos on reverse sneezing so you can check that out and see if that is what he is doing. If so, there really is not a lot we can do for it but it is not anything serious.

It is also possible he has a problem with pain. It could be dental pain or it could be back pain. It may be if he is having sudden shots of pain that he stands still and pants. However, I don't think that is what you are describing.

If this were my case, I would likely be telling you that it is likely nothing serious but that it is not a bad idea to take some chest xrays to make sure that his heart is ok. It is not typical of heart disease, but some dogs with heart disease can have odd spasms of coughing/breathing at times.

I wish I could add more! It is definitely a strange case!

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (21975 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (8557 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4890 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (14452 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19727 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13849 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (22113 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (109742 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6414 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19422 views)