Trouble breathing when drinking cold water.

Breed: Shi Tzu
My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is outside in the cold air, he starts heaving and gasping for air. This does not last very long, but it really bothers me. It has been going on for several months now, could not get an answer from my vet. Do you know what the problem is?
Thank you

Hi Barabara and thanks for your question! This is an odd situation. It will be hard for me to say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few things to think about.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a reverse sneeze? There are several You-tube videos on reverse sneezing so you can check that out and see if that is what he is doing. If so, there really is not a lot we can do for it but it is not anything serious.

It is also possible he has a problem with pain. It could be dental pain or it could be back pain. It may be if he is having sudden shots of pain that he stands still and pants. However, I don't think that is what you are describing.

If this were my case, I would likely be telling you that it is likely nothing serious but that it is not a bad idea to take some chest xrays to make sure that his heart is ok. It is not typical of heart disease, but some dogs with heart disease can have odd spasms of coughing/breathing at times.

I wish I could add more! It is definitely a strange case!

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (19163 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12077 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (13280 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11429 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (9307 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (22292 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (6942 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24967 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (20012 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (19111 views)