Trouble breathing when drinking cold water.

Breed: Shi Tzu
My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is outside in the cold air, he starts heaving and gasping for air. This does not last very long, but it really bothers me. It has been going on for several months now, could not get an answer from my vet. Do you know what the problem is?
Thank you

Hi Barabara and thanks for your question! This is an odd situation. It will be hard for me to say for sure what is going on but I can give you a few things to think about.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a reverse sneeze? There are several You-tube videos on reverse sneezing so you can check that out and see if that is what he is doing. If so, there really is not a lot we can do for it but it is not anything serious.

It is also possible he has a problem with pain. It could be dental pain or it could be back pain. It may be if he is having sudden shots of pain that he stands still and pants. However, I don't think that is what you are describing.

If this were my case, I would likely be telling you that it is likely nothing serious but that it is not a bad idea to take some chest xrays to make sure that his heart is ok. It is not typical of heart disease, but some dogs with heart disease can have odd spasms of coughing/breathing at times.

I wish I could add more! It is definitely a strange case!

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (22377 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (9166 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8180 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10315 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12683 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (6508 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9613 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (13246 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (31741 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (20239 views)