Bad for dog to eat paper?

Breed: shitzu poodle
iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is only a puppy and im hoping she will grow out of it, but im more worried at the fact that she also eats alot of it aswell. the other day i left an A4 piece of paper on the table and she jumped up and started to tear it apart. when i finally got it off her, i realized that she tore just over half the paper up, but only a few pieces of paper were on the floor.
can eating paper harm Lexi?

Tiny chunks of paper are not likely to do harm. But, if a whole piece of paper was eaten it definitely could act as a foreign object and cause an intestinal obstruction.

You may want to try to curb the habit by setting some booby traps in the house. Leave a piece of paper out and spray it with "Bitter Apple" spray. It tastes awful and it should teach Lexi that it is not enjoyable to eat paper. You may need to do this a few times to get the message across!

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10839 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10892 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (13216 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9363 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (6000 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8103 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (45400 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7535 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7758 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (29336 views)