Repair hernia now?

Breed: Pitbull
My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows no pain from it and it's soft to touch. Should I get it fixed right away or should I wait until I get her spayed?

It's pretty rare that I recommend repairing an umbilical hernia earlier than when a dog is spayed. The only ones that I have done early are ones where the hernia is HUGE (like big enough to put your fist into).

In theory, it is possible for intestines to pop out into the hernia. These intestines can be susceptible to injury if the dog was to say scrape herself on her belly. But, it would have to be a very significant injury in a very exact location in order for this to happen.

Your vet is the best person to ask about whether or not Kahlua's hernia is serious enough to require reapir now, but from what you have described it is probably perfectly safe to wait until she is spayed. The exception would be if it is getting much larger, or if it is ever red and painful for her. If that happens she needs to be seen right away.

For most animals I recommend a spay at 5-6 months of age. If an animal has a hernia that is getting larger I will sometimes do the spay at 4 months so that we can get the hernia fixed sooner.

That was very helpful! Thank you!

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (7654 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (24605 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (18095 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (7723 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (6732 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (85837 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8626 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (7345 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13026 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (7386 views)