Repair hernia now?

Breed: Pitbull
My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows no pain from it and it's soft to touch. Should I get it fixed right away or should I wait until I get her spayed?

It's pretty rare that I recommend repairing an umbilical hernia earlier than when a dog is spayed. The only ones that I have done early are ones where the hernia is HUGE (like big enough to put your fist into).

In theory, it is possible for intestines to pop out into the hernia. These intestines can be susceptible to injury if the dog was to say scrape herself on her belly. But, it would have to be a very significant injury in a very exact location in order for this to happen.

Your vet is the best person to ask about whether or not Kahlua's hernia is serious enough to require reapir now, but from what you have described it is probably perfectly safe to wait until she is spayed. The exception would be if it is getting much larger, or if it is ever red and painful for her. If that happens she needs to be seen right away.

For most animals I recommend a spay at 5-6 months of age. If an animal has a hernia that is getting larger I will sometimes do the spay at 4 months so that we can get the hernia fixed sooner.

That was very helpful! Thank you!

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (35496 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (4391 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (6589 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (6216 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (27987 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (19713 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (17342 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (13151 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (16052 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (87714 views)