Repair hernia now?

Breed: Pitbull
My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows no pain from it and it's soft to touch. Should I get it fixed right away or should I wait until I get her spayed?

It's pretty rare that I recommend repairing an umbilical hernia earlier than when a dog is spayed. The only ones that I have done early are ones where the hernia is HUGE (like big enough to put your fist into).

In theory, it is possible for intestines to pop out into the hernia. These intestines can be susceptible to injury if the dog was to say scrape herself on her belly. But, it would have to be a very significant injury in a very exact location in order for this to happen.

Your vet is the best person to ask about whether or not Kahlua's hernia is serious enough to require reapir now, but from what you have described it is probably perfectly safe to wait until she is spayed. The exception would be if it is getting much larger, or if it is ever red and painful for her. If that happens she needs to be seen right away.

For most animals I recommend a spay at 5-6 months of age. If an animal has a hernia that is getting larger I will sometimes do the spay at 4 months so that we can get the hernia fixed sooner.

That was very helpful! Thank you!

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (13215 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (11317 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (10191 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (19710 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (25168 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (3681 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (22102 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (6800 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (17426 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (7175 views)