Repair hernia now?

Breed: Pitbull
My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows no pain from it and it's soft to touch. Should I get it fixed right away or should I wait until I get her spayed?

It's pretty rare that I recommend repairing an umbilical hernia earlier than when a dog is spayed. The only ones that I have done early are ones where the hernia is HUGE (like big enough to put your fist into).

In theory, it is possible for intestines to pop out into the hernia. These intestines can be susceptible to injury if the dog was to say scrape herself on her belly. But, it would have to be a very significant injury in a very exact location in order for this to happen.

Your vet is the best person to ask about whether or not Kahlua's hernia is serious enough to require reapir now, but from what you have described it is probably perfectly safe to wait until she is spayed. The exception would be if it is getting much larger, or if it is ever red and painful for her. If that happens she needs to be seen right away.

For most animals I recommend a spay at 5-6 months of age. If an animal has a hernia that is getting larger I will sometimes do the spay at 4 months so that we can get the hernia fixed sooner.

That was very helpful! Thank you!

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (9597 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (4516 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (20083 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (17004 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (12227 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (4754 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (17109 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (7158 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (42406 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (19471 views)