Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (2749 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (4379 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (4521 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (8952 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (2801 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (7416 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (10412 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (7928 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (2698 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (5608 views)