Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (20387 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (36938 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (6932 views)

Cat is whiney when peeing my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the... (5246 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (6655 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (7225 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (19778 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (7351 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (6490 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (7942 views)