Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17473 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (18950 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (9978 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18587 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6550 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11017 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5095 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (9821 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (17821 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (6824 views)