Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (13165 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (11995 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (9954 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (7299 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (18962 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (6167 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (9588 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (6029 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (8409 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (2870 views)