Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (14056 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6764 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10126 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7665 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (20484 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24459 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6885 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10171 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (10059 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8810 views)