Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (11495 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (10312 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (43620 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (8058 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (8897 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (20498 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (17415 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (10808 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (29413 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (3411 views)