Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (9714 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (33524 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (20542 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (26933 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6322 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9465 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7276 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (86737 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (47717 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (6822 views)