Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (11409 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (40847 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (19637 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (9466 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (9118 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (24418 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (231569 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (29987 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (19411 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (9207 views)