Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (25338 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (10379 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (15646 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (10825 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (31683 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (80531 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (23562 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (11239 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (18693 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (23089 views)