Feline leukemia contagious?

Breed: mixed
I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it possible that I will infect my cats after having contact with the sick cat? Thank you

Thanks for an excellent question!

Feline leukemia can be transmitted in three ways:
  • saliva

• blood

• through the placenta (to kittens from mom)

• As long as you are keeping this cat in a separate area from your cats you should be fine. I would advise washing your hands after touching the visiting cat just to be sure.

In theory if the leukemia positive cat drooled on you and then you immediately touched one of your other cats and they licked the drool they could get the disease, but that is quite unlikely!

This is probably obvious, but be sure not to let them share any food dishes.

I hope that answers your question!

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (15505 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (12820 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (11014 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (5352 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (5794 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (6570 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (6715 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (15413 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (4669 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (7317 views)