Itchy between anus and penis.

Breed: Japanese Spitz (Amer
My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's inflamed and red. He just got a flea bath and a haircut, could this be why? Or something else? Please help!

Sorry to hear that Yoshi is so uncomfortable!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to be itchy in the area between the anus and the penis. (By the way this area is called the perineal area.

It's possible that he has a skin infection in this area. If you are seeing any little pimples or red spots then this could be the case. Almost all skin infections need antibiotic tablets prescribed by the vet. Creams are not usually strong enough.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. If they are too full they will cause the dog to lick around his anus a lot. Or, they might cause him to scoot his bum on the ground. While it is possible to express your dog's anal glands on your own I usually recommend having a vet do it. The vet can tell if there is an infection there. It is sometimes quite difficult to do!

Did Yoshi have a flea bath because you are suspecting he has fleas? If so, fleas can be the cause of his itchiness. Flea baths do not work 100%. I usually recommend a product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Please don't waste your money on pet store products as they simply do not work for fleas!

Some dogs can be itchy in this area because of a food allergy. Most dogs with food allergies will also have itchy feet and ears. Food allergies can be hard to treat. Usually a dog will have to be fed hypoallergenic food with no treats whatsoever for several months.

It won't hurt to put a small amount of hydrocortisone cream on the area, but if things are not improving within a couple of days then a vet visit will be necessary.

Hope everything is ok!

Bump on ribcage. Hello, I noticed today that the kitten has a hard bone like rounded bump right where... (15188 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (21562 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (26198 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (4415 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (5414 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (8522 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (10273 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (9810 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (17297 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (13259 views)