Itchy between anus and penis.

Breed: Japanese Spitz (Amer
My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's inflamed and red. He just got a flea bath and a haircut, could this be why? Or something else? Please help!

Sorry to hear that Yoshi is so uncomfortable!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to be itchy in the area between the anus and the penis. (By the way this area is called the perineal area.

It's possible that he has a skin infection in this area. If you are seeing any little pimples or red spots then this could be the case. Almost all skin infections need antibiotic tablets prescribed by the vet. Creams are not usually strong enough.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. If they are too full they will cause the dog to lick around his anus a lot. Or, they might cause him to scoot his bum on the ground. While it is possible to express your dog's anal glands on your own I usually recommend having a vet do it. The vet can tell if there is an infection there. It is sometimes quite difficult to do!

Did Yoshi have a flea bath because you are suspecting he has fleas? If so, fleas can be the cause of his itchiness. Flea baths do not work 100%. I usually recommend a product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Please don't waste your money on pet store products as they simply do not work for fleas!

Some dogs can be itchy in this area because of a food allergy. Most dogs with food allergies will also have itchy feet and ears. Food allergies can be hard to treat. Usually a dog will have to be fed hypoallergenic food with no treats whatsoever for several months.

It won't hurt to put a small amount of hydrocortisone cream on the area, but if things are not improving within a couple of days then a vet visit will be necessary.

Hope everything is ok!

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (7359 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8447 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (7165 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8714 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (33002 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7603 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10524 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11258 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (9178 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16432 views)