Itchy between anus and penis.

Breed: Japanese Spitz (Amer
My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's inflamed and red. He just got a flea bath and a haircut, could this be why? Or something else? Please help!

Sorry to hear that Yoshi is so uncomfortable!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to be itchy in the area between the anus and the penis. (By the way this area is called the perineal area.

It's possible that he has a skin infection in this area. If you are seeing any little pimples or red spots then this could be the case. Almost all skin infections need antibiotic tablets prescribed by the vet. Creams are not usually strong enough.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. If they are too full they will cause the dog to lick around his anus a lot. Or, they might cause him to scoot his bum on the ground. While it is possible to express your dog's anal glands on your own I usually recommend having a vet do it. The vet can tell if there is an infection there. It is sometimes quite difficult to do!

Did Yoshi have a flea bath because you are suspecting he has fleas? If so, fleas can be the cause of his itchiness. Flea baths do not work 100%. I usually recommend a product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Please don't waste your money on pet store products as they simply do not work for fleas!

Some dogs can be itchy in this area because of a food allergy. Most dogs with food allergies will also have itchy feet and ears. Food allergies can be hard to treat. Usually a dog will have to be fed hypoallergenic food with no treats whatsoever for several months.

It won't hurt to put a small amount of hydrocortisone cream on the area, but if things are not improving within a couple of days then a vet visit will be necessary.

Hope everything is ok!

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (9877 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (29060 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11323 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8354 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9525 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (6997 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (99272 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (17489 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9320 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6254 views)