Itchy between anus and penis.

Breed: Japanese Spitz (Amer
My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's inflamed and red. He just got a flea bath and a haircut, could this be why? Or something else? Please help!

Sorry to hear that Yoshi is so uncomfortable!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to be itchy in the area between the anus and the penis. (By the way this area is called the perineal area.

It's possible that he has a skin infection in this area. If you are seeing any little pimples or red spots then this could be the case. Almost all skin infections need antibiotic tablets prescribed by the vet. Creams are not usually strong enough.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. If they are too full they will cause the dog to lick around his anus a lot. Or, they might cause him to scoot his bum on the ground. While it is possible to express your dog's anal glands on your own I usually recommend having a vet do it. The vet can tell if there is an infection there. It is sometimes quite difficult to do!

Did Yoshi have a flea bath because you are suspecting he has fleas? If so, fleas can be the cause of his itchiness. Flea baths do not work 100%. I usually recommend a product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Please don't waste your money on pet store products as they simply do not work for fleas!

Some dogs can be itchy in this area because of a food allergy. Most dogs with food allergies will also have itchy feet and ears. Food allergies can be hard to treat. Usually a dog will have to be fed hypoallergenic food with no treats whatsoever for several months.

It won't hurt to put a small amount of hydrocortisone cream on the area, but if things are not improving within a couple of days then a vet visit will be necessary.

Hope everything is ok!

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (9561 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (11695 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (7157 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (48451 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (13386 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (25270 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (39355 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (13849 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (21281 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (179157 views)