Itchy between anus and penis.

Breed: Japanese Spitz (Amer
My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's inflamed and red. He just got a flea bath and a haircut, could this be why? Or something else? Please help!

Sorry to hear that Yoshi is so uncomfortable!

There are a few things that can cause a dog to be itchy in the area between the anus and the penis. (By the way this area is called the perineal area.

It's possible that he has a skin infection in this area. If you are seeing any little pimples or red spots then this could be the case. Almost all skin infections need antibiotic tablets prescribed by the vet. Creams are not usually strong enough.

It's also possible that he has a problem with his anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with fluid. If they are too full they will cause the dog to lick around his anus a lot. Or, they might cause him to scoot his bum on the ground. While it is possible to express your dog's anal glands on your own I usually recommend having a vet do it. The vet can tell if there is an infection there. It is sometimes quite difficult to do!

Did Yoshi have a flea bath because you are suspecting he has fleas? If so, fleas can be the cause of his itchiness. Flea baths do not work 100%. I usually recommend a product such as Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution. Please don't waste your money on pet store products as they simply do not work for fleas!

Some dogs can be itchy in this area because of a food allergy. Most dogs with food allergies will also have itchy feet and ears. Food allergies can be hard to treat. Usually a dog will have to be fed hypoallergenic food with no treats whatsoever for several months.

It won't hurt to put a small amount of hydrocortisone cream on the area, but if things are not improving within a couple of days then a vet visit will be necessary.

Hope everything is ok!

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6374 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6437 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15544 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13220 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5572 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14523 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (12721 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (54398 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (10595 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26032 views)