How to socialize fearful dog.

Breed: sheltie
how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk her and someone comes to talk to me like a neighbor, she will run away or bark and run away. she will not approach people and no one can pet her. she will bark at people too on walks. I don't know what to do with this dog. I want to keep her but I want a more social dog

This is a tough question to answer as this kind of problem can be difficult to deal with. Often Shelties are very timid dogs. However, I have seen some dogs who can be rehabilitated and can learn to deal with their fears.

Here are a few suggestions for you:

1. Never reprimand her. This dog needs to build up her confidence level. If she is reprimanded at all then this can really affect her confidence level and also can build upon her fear level.

2. We need to do lots of things to build up her confidence level. Find things that she loves and spend lots of time doing these things. For example, if she loves playing ball, then play ball for 1-2 hours a day (if you have the time.) Then, bring the ball to a public place and play with her. All the time, only speak positive and give her lots of rewards.

3. See if you can get a friend to help you learn to socialize her. You need to set up a plan where you very gradually get her used to seeing you talk to other people. First, start with no people around. Teach her a command such as "sit". When she sits, she gets a treat. Then, have your friend stand around the corner. Tell Lily to sit, and give her a treat. Do it a few times. Then, on say, the fourth time, have your friend walk into the room. Tell Lily to sit and give her a treat and then have your friend leave. Do this several times until she is totally comfortable with this. Then, have your friend come a little closer to you the next time. Each time she seems like she is comfortable, push it a bit further until eventually your friend is talking to you and Lily will still sit and receive a treat. This may take several days to do. If she's fearful at any point then go back to the previous level.

Once you've mastered #3, try the same thing again with a different friend. Then, work up to trying this in a public place.

Something else that will really help is to enroll her in obedience classes. This will help her get used to public places with lots of people. But be sure you find a class that uses only positive reinforcement, not negative training.

If she is REALLY fearful, you can talk to your vet about having her on an anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm for a few months while she is in training.

Ultimately, the best thing I could recommend would be to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary behavioralist.

I hope these tips help!

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (3378 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (11309 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (8526 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (3225 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (8503 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (9288 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (66504 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (13009 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (8345 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (8263 views)