How to socialize fearful dog.

Breed: sheltie
how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk her and someone comes to talk to me like a neighbor, she will run away or bark and run away. she will not approach people and no one can pet her. she will bark at people too on walks. I don't know what to do with this dog. I want to keep her but I want a more social dog

This is a tough question to answer as this kind of problem can be difficult to deal with. Often Shelties are very timid dogs. However, I have seen some dogs who can be rehabilitated and can learn to deal with their fears.

Here are a few suggestions for you:

1. Never reprimand her. This dog needs to build up her confidence level. If she is reprimanded at all then this can really affect her confidence level and also can build upon her fear level.

2. We need to do lots of things to build up her confidence level. Find things that she loves and spend lots of time doing these things. For example, if she loves playing ball, then play ball for 1-2 hours a day (if you have the time.) Then, bring the ball to a public place and play with her. All the time, only speak positive and give her lots of rewards.

3. See if you can get a friend to help you learn to socialize her. You need to set up a plan where you very gradually get her used to seeing you talk to other people. First, start with no people around. Teach her a command such as "sit". When she sits, she gets a treat. Then, have your friend stand around the corner. Tell Lily to sit, and give her a treat. Do it a few times. Then, on say, the fourth time, have your friend walk into the room. Tell Lily to sit and give her a treat and then have your friend leave. Do this several times until she is totally comfortable with this. Then, have your friend come a little closer to you the next time. Each time she seems like she is comfortable, push it a bit further until eventually your friend is talking to you and Lily will still sit and receive a treat. This may take several days to do. If she's fearful at any point then go back to the previous level.

Once you've mastered #3, try the same thing again with a different friend. Then, work up to trying this in a public place.

Something else that will really help is to enroll her in obedience classes. This will help her get used to public places with lots of people. But be sure you find a class that uses only positive reinforcement, not negative training.

If she is REALLY fearful, you can talk to your vet about having her on an anti-anxiety medication such as Clomicalm for a few months while she is in training.

Ultimately, the best thing I could recommend would be to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary behavioralist.

I hope these tips help!

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (15543 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (66687 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (72048 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (5905 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (15466 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (11174 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (10873 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (9714 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (21881 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (7024 views)