Is pinkeye contagious to pets?

Breed: Border Collie
My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog and cat?

Pinkeye must be going around! My daughter and I both have it too and it is miserable. :(

But, I have good news for you. Human pink eye is not contagious to dogs or cats.

The vast majority of pinkeye in humans is caused by a virus called adenovirus. While dogs can get adenovirus, it is a different kind of virus. The virus that causes pinkeye cannot spread from people to pets and vice versa.

There are some people that can get a bacterial type of pinkeye. In theory, this could be contagious to pets but I could not find any reported cases of this ever happening. Plus, in 14 years of practice I have never seen this happen.

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery! I am on day 4 and I look pretty darn gross.

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (5305 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24887 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13711 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7616 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (15397 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (21434 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (11141 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (20218 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (21859 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9706 views)