Is pinkeye contagious to pets?

Breed: Border Collie
My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog and cat?

Pinkeye must be going around! My daughter and I both have it too and it is miserable. :(

But, I have good news for you. Human pink eye is not contagious to dogs or cats.

The vast majority of pinkeye in humans is caused by a virus called adenovirus. While dogs can get adenovirus, it is a different kind of virus. The virus that causes pinkeye cannot spread from people to pets and vice versa.

There are some people that can get a bacterial type of pinkeye. In theory, this could be contagious to pets but I could not find any reported cases of this ever happening. Plus, in 14 years of practice I have never seen this happen.

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery! I am on day 4 and I look pretty darn gross.

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (27729 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (7549 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38759 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7201 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13332 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (16286 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (5336 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (40133 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5440 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (59827 views)