Is pinkeye contagious to pets?

Breed: Border Collie
My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog and cat?

Pinkeye must be going around! My daughter and I both have it too and it is miserable. :(

But, I have good news for you. Human pink eye is not contagious to dogs or cats.

The vast majority of pinkeye in humans is caused by a virus called adenovirus. While dogs can get adenovirus, it is a different kind of virus. The virus that causes pinkeye cannot spread from people to pets and vice versa.

There are some people that can get a bacterial type of pinkeye. In theory, this could be contagious to pets but I could not find any reported cases of this ever happening. Plus, in 14 years of practice I have never seen this happen.

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery! I am on day 4 and I look pretty darn gross.

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12149 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (8351 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6822 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (36409 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8236 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7156 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4700 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (17029 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (90533 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (8881 views)