Is pinkeye contagious to pets?

Breed: Border Collie
My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog and cat?

Pinkeye must be going around! My daughter and I both have it too and it is miserable. :(

But, I have good news for you. Human pink eye is not contagious to dogs or cats.

The vast majority of pinkeye in humans is caused by a virus called adenovirus. While dogs can get adenovirus, it is a different kind of virus. The virus that causes pinkeye cannot spread from people to pets and vice versa.

There are some people that can get a bacterial type of pinkeye. In theory, this could be contagious to pets but I could not find any reported cases of this ever happening. Plus, in 14 years of practice I have never seen this happen.

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery! I am on day 4 and I look pretty darn gross.

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (47958 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (12070 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (10654 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (11903 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (104395 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (10758 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (30709 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (30255 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (7499 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (12570 views)