Is pinkeye contagious to pets?

Breed: Border Collie
My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog and cat?

Pinkeye must be going around! My daughter and I both have it too and it is miserable. :(

But, I have good news for you. Human pink eye is not contagious to dogs or cats.

The vast majority of pinkeye in humans is caused by a virus called adenovirus. While dogs can get adenovirus, it is a different kind of virus. The virus that causes pinkeye cannot spread from people to pets and vice versa.

There are some people that can get a bacterial type of pinkeye. In theory, this could be contagious to pets but I could not find any reported cases of this ever happening. Plus, in 14 years of practice I have never seen this happen.

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery! I am on day 4 and I look pretty darn gross.

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (12632 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (9876 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (8159 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (84658 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9363 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (21204 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (5945 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7419 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7511 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (98645 views)