Hypoallergenic dogs.

Breed: N/A
Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I am considering another dog in the future. I was recently married and my wife has some problems with allergies and dog dander so another Pug is probably not a good option despite how much I would like one.

I have done some research on the more 'hypoallergenic" breeds such as Bichons, Maltese, Schnauzers, etc. What are your feelings about dogs and allergy sufferers? Do you have any opinions as to what types of dogs would be best in these situations?

Thank You

You've asked an interesting question!

In general, dogs that don't shed are more likely to be safe for people who have allergies.

Of shedding dogs, the short haired shedders are usually the worst for allergies. So, you are right in thinking that a pug would not be a good idea!

Bichons and poodles are known for being moderately hypoallergenic.

But then there are some people who are allergic to just about any dog!

One thing that will help is to bathe your dog weekly. A great product to use is something called Allerpet-D.

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (13687 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (14476 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (15194 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (58972 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (32435 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (9204 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (104409 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (8240 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (18225 views)

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (21343 views)