Hypoallergenic dogs.

Breed: N/A
Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I am considering another dog in the future. I was recently married and my wife has some problems with allergies and dog dander so another Pug is probably not a good option despite how much I would like one.

I have done some research on the more 'hypoallergenic" breeds such as Bichons, Maltese, Schnauzers, etc. What are your feelings about dogs and allergy sufferers? Do you have any opinions as to what types of dogs would be best in these situations?

Thank You

You've asked an interesting question!

In general, dogs that don't shed are more likely to be safe for people who have allergies.

Of shedding dogs, the short haired shedders are usually the worst for allergies. So, you are right in thinking that a pug would not be a good idea!

Bichons and poodles are known for being moderately hypoallergenic.

But then there are some people who are allergic to just about any dog!

One thing that will help is to bathe your dog weekly. A great product to use is something called Allerpet-D.

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (13581 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7066 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (20008 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19856 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (14539 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21319 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (120797 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4846 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5923 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11836 views)