Hypoallergenic dogs.

Breed: N/A
Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I am considering another dog in the future. I was recently married and my wife has some problems with allergies and dog dander so another Pug is probably not a good option despite how much I would like one.

I have done some research on the more 'hypoallergenic" breeds such as Bichons, Maltese, Schnauzers, etc. What are your feelings about dogs and allergy sufferers? Do you have any opinions as to what types of dogs would be best in these situations?

Thank You

You've asked an interesting question!

In general, dogs that don't shed are more likely to be safe for people who have allergies.

Of shedding dogs, the short haired shedders are usually the worst for allergies. So, you are right in thinking that a pug would not be a good idea!

Bichons and poodles are known for being moderately hypoallergenic.

But then there are some people who are allergic to just about any dog!

One thing that will help is to bathe your dog weekly. A great product to use is something called Allerpet-D.

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (34431 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (14057 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (74018 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (10996 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (7465 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (14659 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (22327 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8032 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8994 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9704 views)