Hypoallergenic dogs.

Breed: N/A
Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I am considering another dog in the future. I was recently married and my wife has some problems with allergies and dog dander so another Pug is probably not a good option despite how much I would like one.

I have done some research on the more 'hypoallergenic" breeds such as Bichons, Maltese, Schnauzers, etc. What are your feelings about dogs and allergy sufferers? Do you have any opinions as to what types of dogs would be best in these situations?

Thank You

You've asked an interesting question!

In general, dogs that don't shed are more likely to be safe for people who have allergies.

Of shedding dogs, the short haired shedders are usually the worst for allergies. So, you are right in thinking that a pug would not be a good idea!

Bichons and poodles are known for being moderately hypoallergenic.

But then there are some people who are allergic to just about any dog!

One thing that will help is to bathe your dog weekly. A great product to use is something called Allerpet-D.

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (10995 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (11072 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (10425 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (59493 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (11046 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (14926 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12316 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (7332 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (25938 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (9049 views)