Hypoallergenic dogs.

Breed: N/A
Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I am considering another dog in the future. I was recently married and my wife has some problems with allergies and dog dander so another Pug is probably not a good option despite how much I would like one.

I have done some research on the more 'hypoallergenic" breeds such as Bichons, Maltese, Schnauzers, etc. What are your feelings about dogs and allergy sufferers? Do you have any opinions as to what types of dogs would be best in these situations?

Thank You

You've asked an interesting question!

In general, dogs that don't shed are more likely to be safe for people who have allergies.

Of shedding dogs, the short haired shedders are usually the worst for allergies. So, you are right in thinking that a pug would not be a good idea!

Bichons and poodles are known for being moderately hypoallergenic.

But then there are some people who are allergic to just about any dog!

One thing that will help is to bathe your dog weekly. A great product to use is something called Allerpet-D.

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (13156 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (12033 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16776 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (12290 views)

Mouth infection in cat. my cat has an infection in his mouth on his bottom lip. i think it is from bitting... (7856 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (17667 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10282 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8124 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10564 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10450 views)