Hypoallergenic dogs.

Breed: N/A
Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I am considering another dog in the future. I was recently married and my wife has some problems with allergies and dog dander so another Pug is probably not a good option despite how much I would like one.

I have done some research on the more 'hypoallergenic" breeds such as Bichons, Maltese, Schnauzers, etc. What are your feelings about dogs and allergy sufferers? Do you have any opinions as to what types of dogs would be best in these situations?

Thank You

You've asked an interesting question!

In general, dogs that don't shed are more likely to be safe for people who have allergies.

Of shedding dogs, the short haired shedders are usually the worst for allergies. So, you are right in thinking that a pug would not be a good idea!

Bichons and poodles are known for being moderately hypoallergenic.

But then there are some people who are allergic to just about any dog!

One thing that will help is to bathe your dog weekly. A great product to use is something called Allerpet-D.

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (91285 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (13908 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (78543 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (17710 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (9308 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (8908 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (6862 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (29173 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (5470 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (12789 views)