Scratching ears and shaking head.

Breed: French Bulldog
We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking her head alot she does not seem to be in pain and she is not acting abnormal. I am going to get peroxide and qtips today and clean her ears but do I need to find an emergency vet or what

The vast majority of the time, if a dog is scratching her ears and shaking her head there is an ear infection present.

While most dogs with an ear infection have other symptoms such as debris in the ears, odor and redness to the ear, it is not always super obvious.

I wouldn't recommend trying to clean these ears. If they are infected then you are definitely going to need prescription medication. (There is no at home remedy that works well for ear infections.) Plus, it is very easy to do damage to a dog's ear with Q-Tips, especially if the ear is inflamed.

It sounds like a vet visit is necessary!

Hope everything is ok!

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10222 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23748 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7421 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7115 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (9784 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14262 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (16234 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30728 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8549 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13611 views)