One small testicle.

Breed: St Bernard
I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10 weeks, one of his testicles became very swollen. My vet suspected he had been nipped by one of his litter mates and prescribed a one week course of anti-biotics and anti-inflammatories. This appeared to do the trick and the swelling subsided.
Now aged 15 weeks, one testicle is noticeably smaller than the other. I think the small one was not the one that was bitten/nipped but am not certain.
The reason for my concern is that he is a show prospect but will need to have 2 "normal" testicles.
Do you think this problem will correct itself or could the inflammation have done some permanent damage ?

What an interesting question! I don't think I have ever seen a case like this in 12 years of practice.

It's possible that the testicle that was injured or infected previously has been damaged. If the blood supply to this testicle has been damaged then it will not grow to its normal size.

It is not uncommon, however, for a puppy to have one testicle smaller than the other and then eventually after a few more months it can catch up in size.

There is controversy amongst veterinary specialists as to whether or not having one testicle smaller than the other is a genetic trait.

I'm not a conformation expert, so I won't be able to tell you whether the judge would dock him for having a smaller testicle. But, I can tell you that it's unlikely to affect his health at all.

Thanks I can't be 100% sure but I think the inflammed testicle is the one that now appears normal and the other one appears small. I think I will leave well alone for now and check again in a few more weeks.

Interesting. I think your plan is a good one. There really is no medical reason for the injured testicle to be larger. If it was sore we could say that maybe it is abscessed, but this should be very obvious.

Let's hope it is just a slight variation that will normal out in time!

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (9973 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (7068 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (14498 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (66487 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (9489 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (11336 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (8866 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (6807 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (12994 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (20952 views)