Guinea pig jumping out of my arms.

Breed: smooth-haired creste
I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks. Sometimes I walk her around my apartment in my arms, but she always wants to jump out of my arms when we walking around. She always sniffs the air before she tries to jump. When I put her back in her cage after our walk, she acts pretty "hyper" and runs all over the place.

My question is: is this attempted jumping behavior natural exuberance or is it a sign she needs more food or other necessity?

This is a tough question to answer as I don't know if anyone really knows the answer to this question.

It sounds to me like this is normal guinea pig behavior and I wouldn't be worried about it. I would definitely be careful with her so that she doesn't get hurt but wouldn't be worried that this is a sign of her lacking something in her life.

I am guessing that you will find that she is less likely to want to jump out of your arms as she matures and gets used to you.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5185 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9716 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14915 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62667 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21657 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (174175 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (10292 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (7486 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5852 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (11595 views)